Thomas Helsby Database

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Steve Davenport, Jan 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve Davenport

Steve Davenport Registered User

Dec 26, 2019
    Male
    Foreman
    United States
    Country Flag:
    Hello again. I have posted a couple times and you have been really helpful but I have found some pocket watch cases with the letter TH for a hallmark which I know is Thomas Helsby but is there a data base where I can compare Case serial numbers they are 18 with crown but I can’t find a date hallmark on 2 of them looks like they were there but just rubbed down over the years

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Steve,

The case numbers in English watches, if present at all, are often those of the movement they contain, and if so, were put there to avoid confusion at the case maker's workshop. As far as I'm aware, there are no known records of these numbers from the case maker's point of view, (and precious few from the movement maker's either). A few clear pictures of the case you mention may help.

However, the marks used by the Helsbys were registered by the assay office and they did change from time to time, as punches wore out, addresses changed, etc, so in the absence of a good date letter, a clear image of the hallmarks may well narrow the date range of your case.

Regards,

Graham

3. Steve Davenport

Steve Davenport Registered User

Dec 26, 2019
    Male
    Foreman
    United States
    Country Flag:
    Well I found as you seen in other tread a few Rob Roskell movements and one complete RobRoskell that Thomas Helsby did the case work. I will get pictures up this week of the 3 cases and 1 movement that I have left. No matching numbers so I was just trying to find out around when the cases were made. I don’t want to melt something down that someone could use if they could find the matching movements for the cases.