This Virus ?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by TEACLOCKS, Apr 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hope you are all safe.
    How bad has this thing affected what you do for clocks ?

Be well.

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Auction houses in the UK have now virtually all shut, even those that had gone entirely online, with the possible exception of Bonhams watch auction. I had some bids in that are now postponed. I have three lots at closed auction houses that are paid for but can't be collected.

The cabinet maker who does my cases is just recovering along with his family from having the virus, all four are ok. The chap who restores most of my movements and the lady that does the painted dials both have work from me and are ok so they will carry on. I've offered to pay the chap who collects the lots up front to help maintain his income stream. I can't get any more cases,dials, or movements out to people for them to work on.

The scheme to support companies employing people by paying 80% of their salaries seems to be getting under way but the scheme for the self employed is not fully laid out yet so we don't know how that will work. I worry for the livelihood of those I have now worked with for some time.

So the answer to your question is that here it is all grinding to a halt.

3. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Getting caught up with the clock work now and no calls. A chance to try out my new hobby of magnet fishing.
    Here at Lake Norman we have a lot of boat docks, piers and bridges.
    johnp

NEW65 likes this.
  4. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, John, what is magnet fishing?
    Tea, I have shut down my clock shop to customers. I have four grandfather clocks finished that need to be returned but I refuse to go to their homes. I have about ten more wall and mantle clocks done but have told customers they will have to wait indefinitely to pick them up. I am 74 and have asthma so I am being extremely careful. I now wear a mask when I go out. My wife is a registered nurse and is overly careful as she works in a local hospital. Lots of prayers here!

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    My story is the same as wow's. Willie

6. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Magnet Fishing is using a strong magnet to attempt to find items at the bottom of a lake, river, etc. Thus, the comment about a lot of docks.

7. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    Deals in modern reproduction floor clocks.
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Same as Willie and Wow, floor clocks waiting to go out but too risky to think about being in someone else's house. Everyone is happy to wait until safer times arrive! I have brought about 20 used Hermle movements back home to service so have enough work to do here. At least I'll be well prepared when I can get back to finish the clocks off.
    Stay safe.

8. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The outlaws in my area used to use the old crank telephones and insert wires into the water producing enough electrical charge to kill all the fish below. I thought you had found a new way to magnetize them to death. LOL

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are lots of video's on Youtube about magnet fishing. It looks fun, and you never know what you'll find. It also helps clean up the river bed ;)

NEW65 likes this.
  10. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am allowing minimal contact with known clients. Under my state and local rules people are allowed to do business as long as they follow the guidelines on maintaining distance and wearing gloves and masks, etc. So for clients who want to pick up their finished clock I have set up a table outside the shop. When they arrive I put their clock on the table and we discuss what needs to be conveyed without contact and they take the clock home. I have stopped accepting checks or cash or handling physical credit cards. All payments must be electronic. All home visits are cancelled and I am not accepting any new work for now.

The CDC suggests that the virus lasts only about three days on hard surfaces. Everything in the shop has been here longer than that and I have no symptoms. But that is not totally convincing since apparently people can be asymptomatic and still hand off live virus onto objects. Even more concerning is the report this morning that even after having symptoms and having recovered you can sometimes still pass live virus for some time afterward. If this turns out to be common for this virus it will be a major difference from most viral infections. So while I will accommodate a client if they insist I am asking them to just wait it out.

11. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Regarding magnet fishing. Where I grew up in the Amazon we had nasty electric eels. These critters can produce up to 600 volts and gang up on Cayman and shock them to death to eat them. These eels are also very sensitive to magnetic fields. Magnet fishing in those waters is not advised ;)

12. Lynsey

Lynsey Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Female
    Adventurer
    South County, Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am also using the three day rule. I let the shipments sit at the PO for 3 days. I go get them. They sit in my truck for 3 days. After which, I spray all down with bleach solution before allowing them into the house. Phenomenal PITA process, but necessary. Please people, be safe, be sane and be sensible.

I wish to give a heartfelt thanks to all of those who are in the healthcare industry and all of my thoughts are with those who have family members doing so.
    If you have a spare T shirt, make a mask. Drag out your paint respirators and safety goggles, use them. Wear glasses or goggles, too little emphasis has been placed on that aspect of infection. Clocks are a true luxury, as is our passion for them. Clocks are immune, we are not. Stay home.

13. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here every school has been donating safety specs, goggles, masks, and aprons to the National Health Service and nursing homes. In addition schools are using their 3d printers to make visors for the health service. Some with textile departments are sewing masks.

I can't help, this house is on a 12 week lockdown. I did source the designs for the visors we are making.

14. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    I'm going to magnet fishing on the floor in my shop and find all the split rings and other small parts that disappeared.

15. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wish someone would invent a brass and aluminum magnet.

Fitzclan likes this.
  16. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well they do exist, after a fashion. Aluminium is sorted from the waste stream using eddy current induction to make aluminium cans and foil fly out of the waste to be collected. You can induce a current in any conductor but the aluminium being less dense is the easiest to separate.

RJSoftware and THTanner like this.
  17. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I feel sorry for you guys as you have been hit a lot harder than us in Australia with Covid 19, well at the moment anyway.

As for the clock shop, all staff are casuals and have been told to stay at home as the shop has no customers at the moment. The boss and the apprentice are working 5 days a week (6 hours a day) and closed on weekends. I only go in 1 day a week at the moment, we are normally 8 weeks behind in repairs. The boss and the apprentice are doing all the cuckoo clocks, he wants me to do all the Westminster chime mantel clocks and GF movements so they can at least have some turnover when they are posted out. Not sure how long this will last as I expect the Governmentwill soon shut up everything.

18. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #18 RJSoftware, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    That would be cool to see in a video. Curious how difficult/expensive the setup would be. If anyone has a link to video of this please post it.

update: found it. Electrostatic separators

THTanner likes this.
  19. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As you asked so nicely...

RJSoftware likes this.
  20. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Magnet fishing is trolling the lake bed for treasures. It is a fun thing for me and the grandkids and we have found some things.
    You should see their faces when a lost fishing rod and reel comes up.
    P4030084.JPG

21. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Seems this is likely one of the systems that allows single-stream recycling where there is no need for the customer to separate recyclable materials in their bin before pickup.

Along with the other covid-19 constraints, some cities are changing the waste pick up timing as well as the restrictions on items that might normally require hands-on pick up.

22. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Although it varies from one local authority to another here we tend to co-mingle paper/card/plastic/steel tins/aluminium cans. As a result systems that can first remove the steel cans and lids and then the aluminium can be quite useful in automated sorting. Materials handling facilities (MRFs) are fairly labour intensive here but as Brexit approaches I imagine they will look to automate as many as possible because there will be a shortage of labour.

The Covid 19 era may bring a change as the so called low value/ low skilled (not my term but the Government's) are the people actually keeping the country running at the moment.

PatH likes this.
  23. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #23 Bruce Alexander, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Thank you for that. We made this bed. I guess we get to sleep in it now. You folks just went through a lot with those wild fires, eh? Mother Nature seems to be pretty ticked off right now. Can't much say as I blame her. In the meantime, Spring is coming up North. Earth will have the last "At Bat" regardless of how we mess things up during our brief time here (with our big empty skulls).

The Eddy Current Separator for Aluminum recycling is pretty clever. We need more of that. A *lot* more.

I sometimes list restored clocks on eBay. I've taken down all of my listings and won't be putting up any for some recently completed projects until things calm down and I can venture out for non-essential reasons. Also have a few client clocks in the shop. I'll continue to putter around and finish up what I have on hand but nothing is moving. Horology is an avocation for me. Fortunately I don't have to make a living at it (for several good reasons....:whistle:)

24. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    I am in a similar position in that I am accepting no more clocks for the time being. I was lucky that I returned a longcase to its owner just before the lockdown and I have three mantel clocks waiting their turns which will remain with me until all reverts to a kind of normality. No pressure to repair these to a deadline! I am fortunate in one way as I do not rely on repairs for my living, but unfortunate in that Mrs S is a key worker who has to deal with potential carriers of the virus. For that reason it is a worrying time for me.

Keep calm, carry on and stay safe all.