This Old Clock

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Eldon Harris, Jan 16, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Eldon Harris

Eldon Harris Guest

Is the book "This Old Clock" by David Goodman still available? If any one knows I need to purchase several. Also does anyone know how to contact Mr. Goodman?

2. Eldon Harris

Eldon Harris Guest

Is the book "This Old Clock" by David Goodman still available? If any one knows I need to purchase several. Also does anyone know how to contact Mr. Goodman?

3. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    I think if you eMail a note to dsgood@worldnet.att.net he will give you his postal address and the cost of his syllabus on clock repairing technology.

He used to offer it for less than fifteen dollars but with the recent increases in postage, it will be a little more.

It's an excellent how-to booklet and guide for the beginning clock maker. It's built on years of teaching beginning clock repair in avocational classrooms and well thought out and illustrated.

Edited to make the email address live

4. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is the bibliographic data on the book by DAvid, it is a very usefull text.

---------------------

# itle: This Old Clock
    SubTitle: Class notes in Clock repair
    # Author: David S. Goodman
    # Publisher: The Author
    Keywords: textbook basic practical
    Language: ENG
    Notes: Practical primer for beginning clock repair students, used by Goodman for many years in his Long Island (USA) adult education clock repair eveming courses
    Edition: 1990 -- Copyright: 1990
    Kind: Book
    Type: Clock (general)
    Geographic area: Not Geographic
    Topic: Repair
    Organization: NA/other
    Pages: 52 -- Height in cm: 29
    Print Status: 1 (1 means in print - 2 means out of print)
    BHM ID: 6416

------------------------

5. W.R. WoodWorking

W.R. WoodWorking Registered User

Jul 6, 2005
    Diesel Mechanic
    Reform,Alabama
    Seems to be a nice man, We have emailed back and forth. And Im buying one of his books.

6. newcat

newcat Guest

Yikes, that is about 35 times its worth!

7. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nope. It's an excellent book. But isn't that about twice the going price?

bangster

8. W.R. WoodWorking

W.R. WoodWorking Registered User

Jul 6, 2005
    Diesel Mechanic
    Reform,Alabama
    just email David the author of the book and he will sell you one for $15 plus shipping.

9. JDN

JDN Registered User

Nov 26, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Mr. WoodWorking:

Being a novice and trying to repair my Gilbert Mantel Clock, I am looking references for disassembly and reassembly of the clock showing exploded views, sketches, drawings along with instructions. Recommendation was David Goodman''s book This Old Clock.
    Would you please forward me David Goodman eMail address? I am looking for his book This Old Clock.
    If you have any recommendations, please I will appreciate.

My eMail: jaybirdwalk@yahoo.com

Thank you.
    Sincerely,
    Jay Nadkarni
    Clarendon Hills, IL

10. Troy Livingston

Troy Livingston Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Aerospace Stress Engineer
    Melrose, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jay,

David passed away some years ago, I believe the family did continue to sell the remaining copies but am unsure if they are still being printed. The book consists of bound photocopies and covers basic repairs,some different types of striking, and while it will be useful in repairing the basic American movement it is not a service manual specific to your movement, there may be some differences. That would be what the forum is for.

There is an ebay seller listing the book for $35 but I think I would try the NAWCC library first.

Troy

11. JDN

JDN Registered User

Nov 26, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Troy:
    Thank you very much for the information. I am a novice at trying to rejuvenate my Gilbert Mantel Clock(1920) and Kundo 400-day clock (45 years). I looked at lot of 'You Tube' videos of clock repairs, got lot of help from NAWCC expers, received actual part from one expert for Gilbert clock at no charge with repair pointers. I fixed the Gilbert and now it's under testing stage. I am surely going to check this book in NAWCC library. I am still trying to navigate NAWCC.
    Thanks again. Wish you Happy New Year 2018.
    Sincerely,
    Jay Nadkarni
    Clarendon Hills, IL

12. JDN

JDN Registered User

Nov 26, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Can anybody show me how to connect to NAWCC Library? Thanks.
    Jay Nadkarni
    Clarendon Hills, IL

13. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    https://nawcc.org/

This is the main site. Go across the top and click on the Library. To get into some of the drop down you may have to be a member.

14. Troy Livingston

Troy Livingston Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Aerospace Stress Engineer
    Melrose, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jay,

You do need to be a member to check out books, they have two different versions of David’s book. I believe the one with the red cover is a more recent edition. He used to make additions and modifications as required, one of the advantages of self-publishing with bound photocopies. For your anniversary clock you will want to check out The Horolovar 400- Day Clock Repair Guide by Terwilliger.

If you aren’t a member I would recommend giving serious consideration to joining. The library is a great perk but also I think you will benefit from the Chapter meetings. There is a Chapter in the Chicago area and I know of some good people up there. It sounds like your horological affliction is more serious than most and I think you would find membership to be worthwhile.

Troy

15. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Somebody from the NAWCC should contact Mr. Goodman and see if his book could be put in the NWACC bookstore for sale in either print or PDF to preserve his work.

16. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    As was mentioned in post #10, Mr Goodman passed away several years ago.

JTD

17. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I just revived my copy yesterday it is a excellent reference book cost $34.50 from e-bay.