• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

this is why we disassemble movements…

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
… instead of just dunking them in something. all of that junk leaked out and coated the entire movement (including the platform) during shipping to me. all better now, but yikes…

3721015B-70DE-44D1-9DE6-65046F50023C.jpeg

if you don't know when it was last serviced, it probably needs it.

if you don't fully disassemble and service each and every component, it wasn't really serviced.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Washing a movement without dismantling it properly is like having a shower with your clothes on :eek:

(dismantling - UK : disassembling - USA)

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Duncan S. Wish strikes again! Hope the repairs have gone smoothly.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Maybe the guy who sent it to you was kind enough to clean and adjust it for you, so you wouldn't have to LOL

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
Washing a movement without dismantling it properly is like having a shower with your clothes on :eek:

(dismantling - UK : disassembling - USA)
Actually both dismantling and disassembling are terms used in the American vernacular, it just depends on who you talk to (and what part of the country you live in, its just like how in the US, we use the terms pop, soda, soda pop, or soft drink to refer to fountain beverages depending on the part of the country you live in.)

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
according to the dictionary, 'dismantle' is to take a machine or structure apart and 'disassemble' is to take something apart.

but i like disassemble because then you re-assemble.... seems weird to think about re-mantling something. :)

Reactions: CJo

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
I always disassemble my movements. Not long ago I cleaned a movement and I put some screws back in their holes so I would not get them confused. I don't remember what movement it was and unknown to me the screws didn't screw all the way to the bottom of their posts. I ran the plates and parts through the cleaner and dryer . The next day I went to reassemble and removed the screws and this awful green gooey water came out from under the screws. It's like washing a car motor with a pressure washer and expecting it to run better. If anything the cleaner is going to get into places you can't get it out of requiring you to take it apart anyway, waste of time.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Actually both dismantling and disassembling are terms used in the American vernacular, it just depends on who you talk to (and what part of the country you live in, its just like how in the US, we use the terms pop, soda, soda pop, or soft drink to refer to fountain beverages depending on the part of the country you live in.)
How about "Coke"? Generic term for soft drink in the South. "Wanna Coke?" "Sure!" "Well, what kind do you want?" "Uhh... Coke?" And around and around they go...

"Dismantle" has the connotation of an irreversible process - "auto dismantlers" don't put them back together. The parts in my spares bin came from clocks I dismantled. The clocks running on my bench I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled, sometimes using some parts from the dismantled clocks.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
How about "Coke"? Generic term for soft drink in the South. "Wanna Coke?" "Sure!" "Well, what kind do you want?" "Uhh... Coke?" And around and around they go...
"Coke" over here is the black stuff like coal!

I still can't get my head around the US term "verge" when it's not a verge escapement and have to study the thread to see what part it refers to! The term originally came from the staff that a verger in a church carried.

All life's rich tapestry.

Reactions: J. A. Olson

FDelGreco

Moore NWCM Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Re-mantling is the process of putting a new mantle in a gas-fired street or post lamp.

Frank

Reactions: Simon Holt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnfn70
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller