This is what was brought to me this morning!!!

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by P.Hageman, Sep 1, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    I am very happy with this clock, at the moment I only have the movement. Have to pick up the case later. I think this is a very rare bird. Never seen a John Sanderson clock with an added arch (as a matter of fact never seen one with an arch) Typical beautiful engraving complete with wriggle work as well. John was the founder of the "Wigton clockmaker school". 314897.jpg 314896.jpg 314895.jpg 314894.jpg 314893.jpg

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Now that's very nice, they added a penny moon not just an arch!

3. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very morbid......

Love the engraving...the added arch would seem to have been made at a very similar time.

4. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 jmclaugh, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Lovely dial and unusual in having only half hour markers on the inside rim of the chapter ring. Loomes who spent some time investigating his life and works has quite a bit of info on Sanderson and the Wigton School in his book Brass Dials. Loomes says he has only ever seen one clock with an arch dial by him and 8 day clocks by him are uncommon; Memento Mori seems to have been an engraving he often used, he describes his work as idiosyncratic.

5. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    @ Dean, yes the arch was made at the same time as the rest of the clock. I instantly recognised the way it was engraved, typical of the rest of the Sanderson clocks.
    @ Jonathan, I have read the story about Sanderson in "Brass Dials". Very interesting story about his live and why he probably used those religious frases on his clocks. I will send Mr.Loomes a few pictures of this one, it will be the second arched eight day clock then :coolsign: I only have a few snapshots of the case details, but what struck me was the wavy edge on top of the door. I remember I have seen this on other "Wigton" clocks. Due to the color it looks like mahogany, but it is a dark red oak case. 315003.jpg

6. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    I have the Sanderson movement ready. It runs quite strong and it looks like it was supposed to be I think. Now I have to focus on the case.

john sanderson.JPG

7. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That looks absolutely perfect!

8. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a nice job on that dial. Show us the case when you get it.

9. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User

Nov 15, 2016
    HVAC, MECHANIC, CLOCK REPAIRER
    CT
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another view of a true craftsman!
    I always enjoy seeing your results in this day and age of so many lost arts.
    In every industry, Craftsmen are a dying breed. Replaced by parts changers. If they can't pop open a catalog and order a part or new unit, it's deemed unrepairable.
    Hackmasters abound. Furniture restorers are becoming far & few between, as are restorers & repairers of just about anything.

I just bought a Kalamazoo 610 Horizontal metal cutting bandsaw from a well established sign company which was mainly a producer, repairer, & restorer of Neon Tube Signage. Now it's all gone Vinyl, and they're getting rid of much of their equipment used to make the signs. They've just become dust collectors. All they're keeping is the equipment to make replacement tubes for repair. I guess if someone wants a new neon sign they'll outsource the metal frame.

I'm happy to have acquired the bandsaw, but sad to see another fascinating industry dying.

10. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Thank you so much for the kind words! I bought my first longcase clock when I was only 20, long time ago. I often wondered why clocks attracted me that much, but as I got older I think its the story behind them. The clockmaker who mostly struggled for a good living for him and his family. Putting all his skills into a clock and sold them proudly, knowing it was a good honest product. I think too its a shame many crafts are on the brink of perish. We live in a world nowadays of declining respect for the craftsman, sadly. @ Blkbeard: congrats on your bandsaw, I know that piece of machine is very nice to work with!!

11. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wanted a longcase from the age of 6 or 7 when I first saw one at the house my aunt and uncle rented. I was in my 50s before I got my first, and then I got a bit addicted. Now there are clocks everywhere.

12. tok-tokkie

tok-tokkie Registered User

Nov 25, 2010
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Country Flag:
    I am unfamiliar with clocks like this.
    What is the number above the penny moon?
    What is the number in the lowest dial (where we see just the upper quadrant)?

13. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The number in the penny moon dial is the lunar date, 29.5 days on that dial. The lower dial is the calendar date, the dial runs to 31 but you adjust it for months with fewer days.

14. Sevan

Sevan Registered User

Feb 26, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Wow! That is nice!