This is an 8 day wooden works??

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Apr 10, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    This is a clock I've own for quite some time now. Thought I would share.

It is a "double decker" style case of mahogany and mahogany veneer on pine. The upper and lower glazed doors are flanked by carved and turned 1/2 columns. It retains an original, untouched, and crusty finish. Just as I like it.

The lower reverse painted and gold leaf tablet is, well, a bit unusual. It is without a boarder and that pinkish sky. It is absolutely original. Unfortunately, I have not been a responsible steward of this clock, as I have watched the tablet flake before my eyes over the years and have done nothing.

The dimensions of the clock are 36 1/2 tall, 18 1/2 wide, and 4 3/8 deep. The profile of the clock is rather slender, about the depth of a 30 hour clock. Comparing the dimensions to some other 8 day wooden works shelf clocks, the height is right, but they're deeper and not quite as wide

The white painted on wood dial has rather bright raised gilt gesso spandrel decoration with black Arabic numerals. A bit different for the period, a nice touch.

The wood weight driven time and strike movement sure looks like it's the size of a 30 hour wood movement. But there are pullies for compounded weights. Note the square tip to the hour pipe (a bit chewed up over the years). Love the 1/2-assed repairs.

The pine backboard bears the label of Eli Terry Jr. and Co. It does have losses. The mylar sheet was placed there by a previous owner.

The label states, "Eight-Day/Clocks". Such a slender case? Movement looks about the size of a 30 hour one? Did I buy another "marriage" or "licorice, all sorts"? Sure wouldn't be the first time, nor probably the last.

Well, it's not. Eli Terry, Jr. and Eli Terry Jr. and Co. produced the 5.111 8 day time and strike weight driven wooden movement. That is what's in this clock and original to it.

Information about these clocks and other 8 day wooden works can be found in Bulletin Supplement 18, 8 Day Wood Movement Shelf Clocks-Their Cases, Their Movements, Their Makers, by Rogers and Taylor. Why do all clock publications have such long titles? See pages 20 (also see figures 56 and 57, the latter for the label), 32 (also see Table II), page 54 (see figure 133 for a picture of the movement).

The 5.111 movement is the only 8 day movement, besides those by Fyler, to achieve the same size as the Terry-type 30 hour movements. They had 6 arbours on the time side. However, because the weights were larger, heavier, and required a longer drop to achieve a full 8 day duration, they could not be placed in the same cases as 30 hour movements.

RM

Attached Files:

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice looking clock RM, i hope one day to have one as nice as this in my collection.
    Thanks for sharing this.

3. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your kind comment!

RM

4. Carlton Davis

Carlton Davis Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Male
    Retired electrical engineer at General Motors
    Hartland, Michigan USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice looking clock!!
    I have an 8 day wooden works Jeromes and Darrow bronze mirror empire shelf clock. A real give away to the 8-day versus 30 hour question (apart from counting gears and teeth etc) is the compound pulley (as you point out) and the huge size of the weights. Mine are rectangular and about 15 pounds each. A lot of force on those tiny wooden rachets on the winding arbors! I have heard that roughly 10% of wooden works were of the 8 day variety. I consider them very special indeed.

5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your kind comments and I agree with your statements.

I've heard the same statistic regarding 30 hour vs. 8 day production.

Please feel free to post your Jerome!

RM

6. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock! I would think it's at the late end because of the style of the painting, without a border. Did the clock have feet? Looks like it might have.

I wonder if this type of 8-day movement is easier to work on than the larger, mahogany-plate movement in my E. Terry & Sons double-decker, that I've posted about previously. I've been trying to get it running, and it has a couple of oddities, making it very difficult to synchronize the hour and minute hands with the strike release.

7. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your kind comment.

Re: the dating of the clock. Eli Terry, Jr. & Co. ended about 1839, with left over movements being marketed until about 1841.

The label printer credit is Joseph Hurlbut of Hartford, CT whom I believe was active in the 1830's (anyone out there with more info??).

Another late feature is the use of a gong....though honestly I can't recall if the gong base covers evidence of there having once been a bell. I think it does. Sorry, too lazy to check.

Clock never had feet.

For comparison purposes, please see the attached pics of a rather late Eli Jr. and Co. 30 hour clock. Very basic rectilinear case without turnings and with simple cornice, no carvings. Probably cheap to make. Also lower reverse painted and gold leaf tablet boarderless with pinkish background and crude trees. Note the gong which is original to the clock. Absolutely no evidence ever had a bell. Similar raised gilt gesso dial decoration, though with Roman numerals.

Getting back to the 8 day clock. Ran it when I first got. Recollection was the strike never worked right. Gave up.

Why not post your 8 day in the wooden works forum or provide a link to it?

RM

Attached Files:

8. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    From Spittlers and Bailey:

Joseph Hurlbut (also found as Hurlburt), 1820-68, in business with Silas Folsom 1825-32 (Folsom & Hurlbut). In business alone 1832-44. Also Publisher of the Waterbury American (newspaper, I guess?).

9. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are a few pictures of the 8-day E. Terry & Sons double-decker with large, mahogany plate movement. This is a link to the earlier thread, which includes many before and after pictures: https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=43914 The tablet (Tom Moberg), feet, ivory keyhole escutcheons, side returns, and second hand are replaced; all else is original.

Attached Files:

10. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Very nice! Now I remember!

The combination of carved and stencilled decoration is especially appealing to me.

RM