this is a pocket chronometer?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by sternerp, Jun 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sternerp

sternerp Registered User

Nov 23, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone!

Recently i bought an english silver pocket watch, George Priest, Norwich, serial 3937. This watch has also chronometer balance, but if i see good, it does not a chronometer escapement?
    This escapement is completely unknown to me. I upload some photos, maybe someone met with a similar one. Please help me, to identify this escapement.

Best regards! Peter from Hungary

2. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi Peter, is it a variation of the Savage 2 Pin Escapement? Others will know? I like it very much. Regards Ray

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At first glance it looks like a wide jewel Savage, but the key element that is missing is the impulse notch on the table. It has a passing crescent, so there is no impulse from a pin on the lever. A good closeup of impulse end of the lever would make it more clear. Here are some images from my collection. The drawing is the copyright property of David Penney and is used with permission.

View attachment 346174 EarlyRoller.jpg View attachment 346176

4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Peter,

As Tom has said, this isn't a Savage, but a variation on the two-pin English lever, albeit a rather superior one, with a single wide trapezoidal jewel and a passing crescent. The action is exactly the same as a normal English lever. The lever itself shouldn't look particularly different, it just has a wider fork. The thing that is unusual is the use of a chronometer-type balance of the Earnshaw pattern, something that's not often seen in a lever pocket watch.

It's certain that it wasn't made in Norwich, and there may be some frame-maker's marks on the pillar plate under the dial. Something to look for when you come to dismantle it.

Regards,

Graham

5. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 John Matthews, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  6. sternerp

sternerp Registered User

Nov 23, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Thanks very much everyone for the responses!