THIS IS A NEW ONE ON ME

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
I was recently given a plate style metal wall clock to repair. The dial reads J.W. Siegl from Saltzburg. From what I can find, the movement was made by Jos(ef) Muhlhauser and is a time only and based on the spring it is a 8 day. Upon inspection, it appears whoever had their hands in this previously bushed both plates at the escape wheel. The problem is the pivot holes are not in line. I measured the distance of the center of the pivot hole to the side of the front plate with a mic and came up with 15.2mm. Measuring the same way on the rear plate, I came up with 15.33mm. The customer purchased this from an antique store so there is no known shop to go back to.

My question is, how do I go about re-centering the pivot holes so that the escape wheel runs true? The center shaft is also slightly bent, but my main concern is the escape wheel pivot holes. As shown in the attached pictures, there is not a lot of room to work with. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. As the title says, this is a new one on me.
Jim

Loosle (2).jpeg Loosle (3).jpeg Loosle (4).jpeg Loosle (5).jpeg Loosle 6.jpeg

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I was recently given a plate style metal wall clock to repair. The dial reads J.W. Siegl from Saltzburg. From what I can find, the movement was made by Jos(ef) Muhlhauser and is a time only and based on the spring it is a 8 day. Upon inspection, it appears whoever had their hands in this previously bushed both plates at the escape wheel. The problem is the pivot holes are not in line. I measured the distance of the center of the pivot hole to the side of the front plate with a mic and came up with 15.2mm. Measuring the same way on the rear plate, I came up with 15.33mm. The customer purchased this from an antique store so there is no known shop to go back to.

My question is, how do I go about re-centering the pivot holes so that the escape wheel runs true? The center shaft is also slightly bent, but my main concern is the escape wheel pivot holes. As shown in the attached pictures, there is not a lot of room to work with. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. As the title says, this is a new one on me.
Jim

View attachment 664677 View attachment 664678 View attachment 664679 View attachment 664680 View attachment 664681
I think the movement carries the logo of Japy Freres and was likely made by them. How sure are you that the escape wheel pivot holes have been bushed? For me it is not evident from the pictures and I don't know how close the specifications are for punching out the movement plates, so your measurements towards the plate edges may not be indicative that there is an alignment problem. I would address the center shaft problem first. Then I would check how the escapement is functioning. It seems that someone has worked on the eccentric bushing of the verge which is rarely a good idea. I had a similar movement made by Lenzkirch which had problems keeping running. There the issue was worn bushings in the mainspring barrel. Re-bushing the barrel and the barrel cap helped.

Uhralt

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Looking at the 3rd photo the back cock shaft looks like it is bent downward? if so, re-setting this to parallel may solve the issue.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That tapered pin, that retains the click-wheel, needs to replaced with a close fitting soft steel 'S' wire. Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
And that home made tension thing on the hour wheel looks like it's causing friction there too, and may be interfering with the minute wheel as well (first picture).

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
Sorry for the delay in responding, lost internet access for a while. Thanks for the feedback, I’ll address the issues raised. My question still remains, however. If the pivot holes are out of line (on any clock), what would/could be done to bring them in line?
Thanks,
Jim

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You would need either a mill or a preacher to establish the placement from one plate so you could duplicate it on the other. You would likely need a depthing tool in order to determine which one was correct.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I think the movement carries the logo of Japy Freres and was likely made by them
I don't think this is a Japy logo or movement. The logo has an M with P K, standing for Mühlhauser & Pleskot, Karlstein.

The bottom plate on the movement also says M & Sohn. Karlstein.

So I think the OP is right in his identification.

JTD

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I don't think this is a Japy logo or movement. The logo has an M with P K, standing for Mühlhauser & Pleskot, Karlstein.

The bottom plate on the movement also says M & Sohn. Karlstein.

So I think the OP is right in his identification.

JTD
Yes, obviously I didn't look close enough. The Japy Freres logo is similar in appearance and they made movements much like this one, so I fell for it...

Uhralt

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Yes, obviously I didn't look close enough. The Japy Freres logo is similar in appearance and they made movements much like this one, so I fell for it...

Uhralt
Yes, they are very similar, both logo and movement. I first thought 'Japy Freres' too, until I looked closer.

JTD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce bic
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-