This bell won't ring

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
I have been working on this 'bell top ringer' replacing broken teeth, fabricating missing parts, etc.

It now runs well; but, the bell won't ring!!

Suggestions and observations appreciated. I have tried setting the bell on a pencil and striking it with a brass hammer. It still won't ring.

20210408_120715.jpg

Attachments

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
multiple comments...

- first, the video can't be seen by mac users as is... best way is to upload to youtube for processing and conversion and then copy and paste the url into a post here to auto-embed

- the arm of the hammer looks like it's hitting the upper plate post... hold that thought...

- the hammer is not hitting the bell... you can bend the bell arm slightly to move the bell closer to the hammer

- you can then bend the arm of the hammer slightly so that the hammer portion hits the bell before the arm of the hammer hits the plates post.... these are all slight and careful minor bends

- lastly, you triggering the hammer is not the most informative video... it would be better to show the movement striking, even if the hammer isn't reaching the side of the bell

- one more thing... on two of my tall case clocks the bells are slightly out of round... meaning that simply turning them on their posts can help adjust volume... you might spin the bell around and see if yours is like that

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It's not only mac users that can't open the video - I am not a mac user and I can't open it either.

As for the bell, you say it doesn't ring even when you hit it. Did it ring before you overhauled the clock?

JTD

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
The bell was not on the movement when I began this project. So, I have no idea if it ever rang.

The strike hammer kits the bell. This bell is round and rotating it does not bring the bell closer or further away from the hammer. I have adjusted it so that the hammer strikes the bell and the rests away from the bell as not to deaden the ring.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
webs,

Your bell is probably cracked, or it could just be a bad bell. This type clock is usually so loud you can hear it in any part of a normal size house. Maybe even outside, on a quiet day. Willie X

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
I know that this bell should be loud...

In fact, this clock stands next to the bed in the guestroom. It should insure that no one stays more than one night..LOL

Reactions: disciple_dan

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
here is the video on vimeo
sorry, but i'm watching the video and the hammer is NOT hitting the bell... the arm of the hammer is hitting the post between the plates and the hammer falls short.

bend the top half of the hammer arm toward the bell so the hammer is just touching the bell in the resting position and try again.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 2.21.33 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 2.17.20 PM.jpg

Reactions: roughbarked

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I think I hear the hammer hitting the bell but no ringie :???: Willie X

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
It is hitting the bell but it is hitting the pillar harder. The bell should be loud enough to drown out the click as it hits the pillar if it actually hits the bell a touch more.
Now it is hitting the pillar closer to the bottom than the top and I'd suggest that a bend should be placed so that the rod hits the pillar closer to the top than the bottom.

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Mr. Webster, I hope you get your bell rung soon. Can you tell me what kind of movement that is? Is it in a Welsh tall case? I have just work on one very similar today. I just had to put it in beat. The owner asked me If could overhaul it for him. It needs a lot. The moon dial doesn't work, the calendar doesn't. I wanted to find out more about it before I say yes.
Will you send me a couple of pictures (PM if you like) of the movement and also the dial face and case. It would really help me out with this customer.
Thank you, Danny

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
I am not the best video maker. The hammer was hitting the bell.

I removed the bell and inspected it. There was a place on the edge of the bell that looked like solder had been dripped into it. At first I didn't think much of it. However, after taking a file to the spot in an attempt to "clean it up", I found it was hiding a crack.

Thanks to all for commenting on this thread. Willie X sparked the idea that the bell might be cracked.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
How does the bell attach to the post? The post can't touch the bell except in the very center.

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
The bell mounts properly and does not touch anywhere but where the post passes through.

The bell is cracked and I have put the word out in my local chapter that I need a replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clockmart.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre