THINKING BACK

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Jul 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Thinking back many years ago when we used to have for our Monthly meetings at the Holiday Inn on City Line Avenue in Philadelphia…we had unbelievable attendance; as much as perhaps 400-500 horology enthusiasts to a meeting. In fact, the swimming pool was covered over to enable more tables to be set up to accommodate the crowds of people who wanted to attend our meetings…I am writing about Chapter 1. We drew members from all the States surrounding Pennsylvania…New Jersey, Maryland, Washington D.C., Ohio, New York, etc,

We had so many tables filled with horologic material of every description. New parts, old parts, books, watches and clocks, both rare and everyday junk, the buyer could spend from a few pennies to many thousands of dollars to satisfy his/her whims or needs. The aisles were filled with people looking, buying and just talking to one another. If you needed a special part more than likely you would find it on one of the 100’s of tables filling the room and other spaces where tables could be set up. At the front desk where you registered and paid your fee if you had not reserved your tables earlier. As I recall it, we had 4-5 women all NAWCC members were kept quite busy taking money and assigning tables and doing other work related to that days Chapter 1 meeting.

When it was time for our lunch/dinner we usually had about 30 tables with ten places
    to each table. It became so that the waitresses recognized the people who sat at their particular station. You could order special meals if you had your meals requested a few
    days earlier. Not only was business done in the Mart Rooms…often attendees would
    do a lot of business on the parking lot even before the show took place

My friend Fred, for many years during our meetings had an hour or so set aside in
    order to teach clock repairing among other specialties. We always had a speaker with
    a slide show talking about horology, watches or clocks. As a member of the NAWCC or
    Chapter 1 you surely got your money’s worth attending these meetings. My wife, Evelyn
    made so many friends at these meetings. I always had two tables and the same buyers who would visit my tables monthly. One buyer would buy every gold watch I picked up the previous month. Another buyer would buy one high grade watch monthly to further his collection. Many of the watches that passed through my hands came from Jeweler’s Row in center city. My Graphic Arts work allowed me the opportunity to almost daily visit that area. Many of the jewelers were major providers of watches to me and would hold many of these wonderful treasures until I visited them

2. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Dan,
    Wow it has been a long time since you have been posting here.

I am very glad to see you back and contributing and happy that your health is permitting you do things you enjoy.

Do you still get to visit your favorite restaurant?

All the best
    David

3. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We used to drive down to Chapter 1 meetings from Southern New Hampshire. The meetings in those days, 1985-1989, were like regionals. Many many tables. We saw some wonderful stuff and bought and sold a lot. Miss those sorts of meetings and those folks we met and saw there too.

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wasn't around that far back (horologically speaking), but things have sure changed since then! We feel pretty good if we get 20 or so at our chapter meeting.

5. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like they were great events, a good social. If I ever get back over to the US I'd check out if I was near a chapter and see if they would welcome a social intruder!

6. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I remember my first Chapter 2 meeting, the building was filled wall to wall, lots of stuff, sold a lot of watches and parts, bought a bunch of stuff. gradually over the last 12 years, the attendance has fallen to about 1/4 what it used to be, now you find foreign gold buyers mainly, a few of the old timers, we usually spend our money swapping between each other. Ebay has made buying and selling too easy and the good stuff is overpriced. Wish I had joined 10 years earlier. Unfortunately can't make it to the big event. Even the antique and pawn shops don't get the watches they used to get.