Thin cylinder escapement with fusee made in Genéve

Halda Sweden

Dec 30, 2008
South Sweden
Country
Dear Horological friends,

this pocket watch is marked on the cuvette; "Ls Josse Á GENÉVE" ( I an not sure about the signature...)

The movement is with fusee and chain and har cylinder escapement with a escapewheel made of steel.

The gilded movement of good quality is very thin considering that it has fusee and chain.

Any information or comments are appreciated...

Best wishes
Peter B.

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
Faszinating! the fusee is immediately recognized by the "wrong" winding direction indicated on the cuvette. But really special is a fusee combined with a Maltese cross stop work instead of the usual fusee stop work. I have never seen that before. Leaving away the conventional stop work will have contributed to the low movement height.

Halda Sweden

Dec 30, 2008
South Sweden
Country
Thanks Bernhard,

the Maltese cross stop work is interesting. I searched but couldn´t find any movement similar to this one......

What about the signature on cuvette? Is it "Ls Josse Á GENÉVE" ?

Rgds
Peter

VinSer

NAWCC Member
Jun 15, 2021
Country
Really beautiful :)

I also like the fact that the fusee is mounted as a "Liverpool runner"

Also for info, according to Saunier (Lehrbuch der Uhrmacherei, 1902), the first to come to the idea of using steel for the escape wheel of a cylinder escapement was Urban Jürgensen in 1805 (please excuse the repetition).

Ciao

remo87

Aug 5, 2020
Country
Also for info, according to Saunier (Lehrbuch der Uhrmacherei, 1902), the first to come to the idea of using steel for the escape wheel of a cylinder escapement was Urban Jürgensen in 1805
Really? Isn't the escape wheel steel in the watch below?
DSC00640.JPG

Halda Sweden

Dec 30, 2008
South Sweden
Country
Hi,

sorry to repat my previous question but I try to find more information reg. the signature; "Ls Josse Á GENÉVE"

Did I read the engraved signature correct?

Rgds
Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minister
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner