Thiel pocket watch dating

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by xedos6, Apr 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. xedos6

xedos6 Registered User

May 9, 2016
    Country Flag:
    #1 xedos6, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2017
    Dear Community!

I've got this nice looking "Thiel" pocket watch from a military and numismatic meeting in Hungary for about 25,8€. The seller told me when I asked it's age, that it's from the early 1900s! I don't really think so :chuckling: :chuckling: Btw. the watch works well, but doesn't have a long running time - about 20 hours? My Swiss Locarno pocket watch from the 1920s runs about 40 hours!

So...

My opinion is it's from the middle, or late 1940s. Is this correct? I saw on the internet, that this kind of "anker" logo was Thiel's logo between 1920-1952.
    What do you think? And the other important thing is, can someone tell me the pocket watch's model name?

Looking forward for any help and suggestions :)

2. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    According to Mikrolisk, the first trademark shown below was regostered in July 1921, the second in October 1949. I think yours consists of the solid black name with the outlined anchor ... so maybe sometime between those two?

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. xedos6

xedos6 Registered User

May 9, 2016
    Country Flag:

Dear MartyR!
    Thank you for your reply! Mine has an interesting mixed logo: The anker's color is bright silver, and the Thiel name is black. I've seen both of theese logos on other pocket watches, but the logos were clear on those examples.

4. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A sharp close-up of the movement will get you more info.

5. xedos6

xedos6 Registered User

May 9, 2016
    Country Flag:

The problem is that I can't open the watch. It's already scratched in few places, someone before me also wanted to open the watch. I tried also, but the snap back is stucked. I saw a bad condition watch exactly like this model on an auction site which had a photo of the inside, but trust me.. no writing or numbers or anything written on.

6. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is it a snap back or a screw back? Have you tried to unscrew it/

7. xedos6

xedos6 Registered User

May 9, 2016