Theodore B. Starr Grandfather Clock Face Font

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Chel, Jan 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chel

Chel New Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    I was visiting the Phillip's Collection museum in Washington, DC when this clock caught my attention. It isn't even part of the art exhibit, rather, some of the original furnishings of the original owner of the home the museum is housed in.

Anyway, I love, love, love the font used with the numbers on the clock face. Can anyone help me identify the name of this font, or anything else about this particular lettering style? Thanks!

20190109162729_IMG_0100.JPG 20190109_163237.jpg 20190109163016_IMG_0102.JPG

2. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    It’s a lettering style I associate with the Arts and Crafts movement, particularly the way the letter 8 is flattened, but on a quick look I couldn’t find a font close enough to recommend it.

Chel likes this.
  3. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The first instance of these styled numerals that I'm aware of would be traced to Walter Durfee, American hall clock magnate of the late 19th century. It is synonymous with the Art Nouveau movement however I don't believe any company ever referred to it by a particular name. It was just a popular look that was widely replicated by many clockmakers.

The clock shown is very nice with its carved shells and flat-top hood.

Chel likes this.
  4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those flattened 8 tops are found on 17th and 18th century clocks. The arts and crafts movement was a revivalist movement harking back to earlier styles.

Chel likes this.
  5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Actually, there are font identifiers you can find on-line. Just google "font identifier". There are quite a few and though I have not tried them. However, I would suggest seeing how they worked for you and then let us know how you did?

RM

Chel likes this.
  6. Levi Hutchins

Levi Hutchins Registered User

Oct 21, 2012
    Chelsea used a very similar style of number for their decorative dials in the first decades of the 20th century, and revived it for their "Millennium" edition in 2000.

12sgdnew.jpg 4012_A.jpg

Chel likes this.
  7. Chel

Chel New Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    You all have been incredibly helpful and I thank you dearly for the insight that you are able to give!