The Webb c. Ball co. Cleveland

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by s. smith, Nov 17, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. s. smith

s. smith Registered User

Oct 13, 2006
    Can someone tell me anything about this watch who made the movement and was this made for the Ball jewelery store..

It,s a 16 size and marked 21 jewel adjusted looks like it,s been stored for years very dirty but wil run .

Thanks
    SAMMIE

Attached Files:

2. s. smith

s. smith Registered User

Oct 13, 2006
    the movement

3. s. smith

s. smith Registered User

Oct 13, 2006
    movement

Attached Files:

4. rrwatch

rrwatch Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Pooler, GA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe that the movement is by C. H. Meylan. Probably made for the Ball jewelry store, but might have been accepted in railroad service if made prior to the 1906/8 period, which I think it was, based on the serial number.

5. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Webb was advertising "watches for rr men" as early as 1879.

Those that are routinely thought of as "for his store" may have indeed been made for RR service as well, as Ed suggests.

Nice watch. any case with it? They are often Jeannot and Sciheibler karat gold cases.

Jeff Hess

6. s. smith

s. smith Registered User

Oct 13, 2006
    Ed thanks for the info i think you are correct about the maker, it looks too be a good quailty movement that would have passed the railroad specs in the early 1900,s.

Jeff i bought this one on ebay a few weeks ago i seen it a few hours before the end of the auction i placed a bid and to my surpise won the watch,,i was pleased with the fact that it was a 16 size,,it was in a low quailty gold filled case that did not fit the movement..sure wish this one had the original case. I normaly don,t buy or collect Ball watches but found this one interesting ,,i have a good friend that does collect the Ball watches next time we get together maybe i can trade for a nice 72 Waltham..

Thanks again for the help.

7. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree its C. H. Meylan. These fit US standard cases but were expensive enough that they were usually in gold cases.

I have several high grade Swiss in Ball private labels. I strongly doubt they were intended for service with railroad worker bees. I think they may have been for Railroad executives. At the risk of getting flamed out of the NAWCC, I think these are significantly higher grade than US railraod watches and even prestige watches. They were not cheap.