• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

the two kinds of clock repair dumb....

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
1. you go through everything and miss something ridiculously obvious... an embarrassing amount of times

2. something you do... thinking you're being clever... creates an error or problem elsewhere (also referred to as the 'greased pig repair')

of course i've never done either of these, and merely read about them somewhere... so don't ask me which of my several current clock projects drove me to write this... completely separate train of thought. really. not even sure why i brought it up. never mind.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
What ... WHHAAT !!!

Who would ever do such a thing, to cause themselves all that extra work, to undo and redo, just to get back where you started from?

I call it "frogin". :rolleyes:

Willie

Reactions: ChimeTime

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
My favorite is breaking what you're trying to fix, then having to search for a spare part! I call that mining. :)

Reactions: Kevin W.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
I do that regularly. "Who would do such a stupid... oh wait, that was me."

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Ha! For me, when I have assembled/ disassembled 5-6 times I know I am getting close to a working movement. It is just practice up til then.

really? only 5 or 6 times? i'm only getting started before i get to double-digits.... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ChimeTime

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
The headache starts when an extra washer pops out unrelated to the hands. Remember that the part missing (wasn’t) obvious after the assembly.

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
And then one day you decide to work on a cuckoo....:excited:
I don't understand why people think Cuckoo's are complicated, it's mostly a matter of figuring where the lift wires go and adjusting them. I'm terrified of 3 train movements myself.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I don't understand why people think Cuckoo's are complicated, it's mostly a matter of figuring where the lift wires go and adjusting them. I'm terrified of 3 train movements myself.
I don’t think cuckoos are complicated. I don,t work on them because, except for the real old ones, they are cheaply made, parts are expensive, they are hard to set up on a test stand, my big feet love to step on the chains, movements wear out fast, and what I would have to charge to repair one would keep me from being able to sleep at night because the whole clock is worth much less than my charge. My stress level becomes sky high when I try to work on one. Just a few reasons. I’ll take a three train movement any day. IMHO.
Will

Reactions: Altashot and Royce

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
I've spent more time than I care to on a few Regula movements. And if you get it right they perform quite well.
But it's definitely a learning curve.

Reactions: S_Owsley

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Oh boy. I was never sure back then. Luckily they went on correctly after gambling.

The dumb types of clock COLLECTING:

1: Buying a perfect clock that looks good and passed your inspection but crumbles in your hands…

2: Chime rod crap out. Chime rods break during shipping or are welded back together resulting in a cheap tone.

John MacArthur

NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2007
laplaza.org
A fellow clocksmith sent me a picture of his special cuckoo repair tool.
Yes, that is the right tool for a "smith", as in blacksmith, silversmith, etc. I believe "smith" derives from "to smite", as in "smiteth" - VERY appropriate for cuckoo clocks. My favorite mantra - "If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is....."
Johnny

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Yes, that is the right tool for a "smith", as in blacksmith, silversmith, etc. I believe "smith" derives from "to smite", as in "smiteth" - VERY appropriate for cuckoo clocks. My favorite mantra - "If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is....."
Johnny
kind of goes along with a philosophy I heard long ago - if it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be fixed anyway.

Reactions: Salsagev

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
kind of goes along with a philosophy I heard long ago - if it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be fixed anyway.
Some might say that it’s your fault, which it can be, but I think I’ll prove that wrong. The clock needed fixing anyways, which gave you the chance to fiddle with it, causing the breakage! ;)

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
If I ever hang out my shingle and start repairing clocks for money, I'll call the shop BS&I Horology. BS&I will stand for Brute Strength and Ignorance.

Reactions: Royce and Salsagev

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
Hey Calvin,

correctly after gambling.
Chime rod crap out.
Are you able to gamble in Las Vegas? Talk about taking candy from a baby! :chuckling:
Just kidding young man. Have fun.

Bruce

To stay on topic, one of the worst, most temperamental, cantankerous old coots I ever tried to "fix" was an "inexpensive" 3-train Cuckoo Clock. Getting the little musician to blow his horn at the right instant was like trying to balance one razor blade on another. I finally had to give up on the old music box movement and replace it with a newly manufactured one. The difference was "night and day" light at the end of the tunnel type stuff. So for me, the "dumbest" clock repair I've attempted to date was trying to repair that old, worn out, throw-away music box. The only thing that was properly adjusted after all was said and done was my ego. :rolleyes:

"Greased Pig" or "Froggin"...whatever you want to call it, it was a tremendous waste of time. I'll just call it a difficult lesson. If it was manufactured to be a throw-away, throw the d@#m thing away when it's worn out. Life is too short...

Last edited:
Reactions: Salsagev

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Hey Calvin,

Are you able to gamble in Las Vegas? Talk about taking candy from a baby! :chuckling:
Just kidding young man. Have fun.

Bruce

To stay on topic, one of the worst, most temperamental, cantankerous old coots I ever tried to "fix" was an "inexpensive" 3-train Cuckoo Clock. Getting the little musician to blow his horn at the right instant was like trying to balance one razor blade on another. I finally had to give up on the old music box movement and replace it with a newly manufactured one. The difference was "night and day" light at the end of the tunnel type stuff. So for me, the "dumbest" clock repair I've attempted to date was trying to repair that old, worn out, throw-away music box. The only thing that was properly adjusted after all was said and done was my ego. :rolleyes:

"Greased Pig" or "Froggin"...whatever you want to call it, it was a tremendous waste of time. I'll just call it a difficult lesson. If it was manufactured to be a throw-away, throw the d@#m thing away when it's worn out. Life is too short...
I'm right there with you, Bruce. The only clock that ever completely outwitted me was a cuckoo with a music box. The trip mechanism for the music movement was haphazard at best, and your analogy about balancing two razor blades describes that adjustment perfectly. I got it working about 99% right but it never will be 100%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LLRunyon
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-