The top 300 secrets of a Master Clockmaker

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Tom Chaudoir, Aug 30, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom Chaudoir

Tom Chaudoir Guest

"The top 300 secrets of a Master Clockmaker"
    J. M. Huckabee
    Published by A.W.I.
    Copyright 1994

Soft cover. 8 1/2 x 11. 111 pages. 36 chapters.

Negative:
    I would list the chapters here if I thought more of this book. There is no real structure.None of the secrets are secrets to anyone but beginners. Some secrets given are about tools owned by the author but never used. Some are operating instructions for a tool magnetizer/demagnetizer that undoubtedly came with instructions. The author makes frequent apologies for the poor illustrations.

Positive:
    The one new thing that I went away with was how to grind a hobby knife into a parting tool. It's easy. It works, and I use the trick on brass. I'm going to keep the book, as I expect it to become rare sooner than most.

Tom Chaudoir
    Milwaukee, WI
    America

[This message has been edited by Tom Chaudoir (edited 08-31-2002).]

2. Tom Chaudoir

Tom Chaudoir Guest

"The top 300 secrets of a Master Clockmaker"
    J. M. Huckabee
    Published by A.W.I.
    Copyright 1994

Soft cover. 8 1/2 x 11. 111 pages. 36 chapters.

Negative:
    I would list the chapters here if I thought more of this book. There is no real structure.None of the secrets are secrets to anyone but beginners. Some secrets given are about tools owned by the author but never used. Some are operating instructions for a tool magnetizer/demagnetizer that undoubtedly came with instructions. The author makes frequent apologies for the poor illustrations.

Positive:
    The one new thing that I went away with was how to grind a hobby knife into a parting tool. It's easy. It works, and I use the trick on brass. I'm going to keep the book, as I expect it to become rare sooner than most.

Tom Chaudoir
    Milwaukee, WI
    America

[This message has been edited by Tom Chaudoir (edited 08-31-2002).]