Chronometry: The Time Museum Catalogue of Chronometers by Anthony G Randall

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by davy26, Aug 23, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. davy26

davy26 Registered User

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Researcher and Writer
    Kent, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been unable to trace a copy of the above referenced book locally. If anyone on this Board has a copy and would be happy to provide me with a single piece of information from the text, please let me know. Many thanks.

2. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    The NAWCC Museum has at least one volume of what you're looking for. I'm not sure if you can access the following page if you're not an NAWCC member, but click this link to find out!

If you have problems, you could contact the Library by email. Or failing all of that, post here again :D

3. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ask and ye may receive.

4. davy26

davy26 Registered User

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Researcher and Writer
    Kent, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many thanks Ron for your prompt response. I'm trying to find out the movement number of the Watkins chronometer - item 310. If it's quoted in the text, could you please let me know what it is?

Regards.

David

5. Luis Casillas

Luis Casillas Registered User

Oct 16, 2012
    Software
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is no item #310 in the book, but Watkins' pieces are on pages 310-313. On p. 310 there's item #153, Alexander Watkins, Smallest 3/4 plate construction chronometer, London 1851. It's a 10 ligne chronometer with an Earnshaw-type spring detent escapement. The text says that the movement is not numbered, although there is a photo of the watch's original wooden case with a printed piece of paper on the inside of the top lid that says, among other things, "Class X., No. 85A." Make of that what you will.

There's also item 154, an Alexander Watkins two-day marine chronometer with special movement and escapement, also not numbered (so says the text).

6. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Luis beat me to it, but neither of the two Watkins movements illustrated appear to have serial numbers.

7. davy26

davy26 Registered User

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Researcher and Writer
    Kent, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dear Ron and Luis,

Thanks very much for your very quick responses. I have been previously advised that no number is evident, but wanted to confirm. It seems strange that such a very beautiful little watch lacks the normal mark of identity. 85A incidentally is the Great Exhibition catalogue number.

Gentlemen, I hope I might some day be able to reciprocate with some information you could be seeking.

With kind regards.

David

8. davy26

davy26 Registered User

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Researcher and Writer
    Kent, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad to say that I have finally obtained a copy of this book - and I was able to get it for under $120 (Amazon). If you've not seen this book I'd recommend you seek a copy - it is superb in every way - information/insight/layout/illustration - a great credit to the Atwoods for the collection, David Penney for the illustrations and Anthony Randall, the author; I recently had some correspondence with Anthony and his knowledge and expertise is matched by his courtesy and helpfulness.

9. Luis Casillas

Oct 16, 2012
    Software
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've moved this thread to our new Chronometers subforum.

It's truly an excellent book, indeed! I've been going through some of the Chronometers literature in recent months, however, and here's a lesson I took away: the most important book to get is Rupert Gould's The Marine Chronometer—particularly the recent (2013) second edition that incorporates Gould's notes for his planned (but never finished) second edition.

I put off getting Gould's book in favor of others (including Randall's), but then when I finally got Gould's I saw my mistake. Particularly eye-opening is Gould's lengthy discussion of the middle temperature error and a variety of auxiliary compensation balances that were made to combat it. That said I certainly don't regret getting Randall's book nor Whitney's!

10. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 doug sinclair, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    Another good one to have is Time Restored by Johnathan Betts. I was fortunate enough to think to take my copy with me on a recent trip to Greenwich. Johnathan was our tour guide, and I have a picture of him signing the fly leaf of my book. This was an NAWCC tour. When other members found out that Johnathan was signing my book, there was a mad rush to the gift shop at the National Maritime Museum by others in the group! They bought up the entire inventory (7 in stock), and had Johnathan do their's as well! One up for me! I bought my copy of the Time Museum book by Hoke, at the museum in the mid 90s. It is also a good one to have. I have a copy of Marvin Whitney's book on the marine chronometer, signed by the author as well. As to the recent updated Gould book on the marine chronometer. I paid for that book five years before I finally ended up getting it! To be honest, I had almost given up!

11. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Here some aux-compensation eye candy from the student room at the British Museum.

Mar24#25.JPG Mar24#26.JPG Mar24#27.JPG Mar24#28.JPG Mar24#29.JPG Mar24#30.JPG Mar24#31.JPG

12. davy26

davy26 Registered User

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Researcher and Writer
    Kent, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dear Luis and Doug,

Thanks for your recommendations - I'm looking to take these up and look forward to sharing the benefit you certainly seemed to have derived from them.

Regards.

David

13. Luis Casillas

Oct 16, 2012
    Software
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm picking up my copy of Time Restored today. Looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the recommendations!