The Story of the Dan Patch Watches

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Jim Haney, Sep 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Jim Haney, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    I picked up one of these last year at the FL. Regional and it was missing some parts, but I though it was interesting with the horses head engraved on the back and the the dial said "Dan Patch Stop Watch", so It bought it thinking someone would need it for parts.

I sat on it and then saw another this year at Chattanooga show. The price was right and it was complete and running so I bought it. I didn't know anything about Dan Patch so I Googled it on my phone and was very impressed when I saw he was the fastest race horse in America and was never beaten in his 10 year career. He wasn't a Kentucky Derby Thoroughbred type of racer but was a sulky racer, which at the time, was more popular than thoroughbred racing. His record time of 1:55 lasted over 30 years

His time of 1:55 was never beaten in his career and is also engraved on the case back. I did a search on the MB and didn't find very much but did see mentioned a Bulletin article about the watch. I found it in the Library resources and downloaded it to my computer and read it.

It was by Warner D. Bundens, M.D. Past President of the NAWCC from 1975-79. It is a great research article and I learned a lot from it. You have to be a member to access this.

http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1970/articles/1975/175/175_181.pdf

Dan Patch owner was Marion Savage from Minneapolis, Mn. who owner the International Stockfood Co., later Savage Enterprises who he sold millions of dollars of Dan Patch related items, including the watches.
    He contracted with the 2 companies who made stop watches at the time, New York Standard & New England Watch Co.

He had exclusive rights to the watches and cases and owned their patents.

You had to order the watch from his company. He started selling them in 1910.

So we have 2 Dan Patch watches, one by N.Y. Standard Watch Co., last 2 Pic's, and one by New England Watch Co.1st 2 Pic's

I am not sure who made the most or sold the most as they were distributed from Mr. Savage's company's.

DSCN7271.JPG DSCN7273.JPG DSCN7286.JPG DSCN7282.JPG

PatH, PW Collector and musicguy like this.
  2. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The New England Watch Co.model.

It is a 16s 7 Jewel model. Upon a examination I was surprised to find that in spite of being a 7J watch it had a Double Roller and a Gold gear train.
    You could also get this watch in a 17J GOLD case for $32.50 or Gold Filler for $25 or get a Gold filled free with a $68 order from his feed co.

The New England came with a GF case 25 year warrant case w/hinged back cover and pry off front bezel
    It had a Pat's date of Mar.22 1904, which was the N.E. W.Co Pat'd date for it's stop watches. Mr. Savage Pat'd date was April 25 1911, the case had a silhouettes of Dan Patch head with the time of 1:55 under neath , These may have been stamped put no one knows for sure. The head doesn't have a bridle like the N.Y. Standards do. The dials have the 5 Min marks in black but the N.Y. S. are in Red.

DSCN7275.JPG DSCN7276.JPG DSCN7277.JPG DSCN7279.JPG DSCN7271.JPG

3. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The New York Standard Model.

It was in a B & B 20 year cases Screw back & bezels and is a very nice case.

The movements of all authentic Dan Patch watches, (yes, there are fakes)are stamped with Dan Patch on the back plate. It has a Pat'd date stamped of Dec.22 '08. most likely one of N.Y. S, pat'd dates.

The porcelain dials on the N.Y. are somewhat higher grade than the N.E. W. Co. Dan Patch is in script on the New York Models, and they are more eye appealing because of the red 5 min markers.

The engraving silhouettes on the back of the NYS watches are similar in design, all with halters,,but the shading and types of halters differ greatly. This suggests a hand engraving process.

DSCN7286.JPG DSCN7287.JPG DSCN7290.JPG DSCN7288.JPG DSCN7289.JPG DSCN7282.JPG

4. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You should read the complete article but this was a fascinating tidbit.

Dan Patch lived in retirement on the outskirts of Minneapolis,at stud,
    Mr Savage loved Dan Patch and Dan loved people and would show off after races and loved music and would prance around with his favorite songs.

Mr. Savage built a farm in his honor with an enclosed 1/2 mile track and beautiful grounds and used millions of board feet of lumber and had one hundred and sixty thousand (160,000)windows.

Now Dan Patch at 20 seemed to be doing well However,he and Mr. Savage became ill on July 4,1916. Mr. Savage went to the hospital and had surgery and seemed to be recovering. He grieved for Dan... and Dan.... for him.

Dan suddenly expired on July 11th... his feet flying in rhythmic precision in his death throes lying on his side in the stable he paced his last mile.

Marvin Savage dies suddenly the next day, the 12th of July at age 57.

The two who shared so much in life together were eulogized in a common funeral service on July 16,1916.

DSCN7284.JPG

5. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Neat story Jim! Thanks for posting. Jim is a true collector!

musicguy likes this.
  6. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi, I have seen the Dan Patch Pocket Watches. I picked this Case up a number of years ago and I have not got around to finding a movement for it. I have no idea of the Horses Name and in what era it is from. Regards Ray

1b.JPG

7. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    I remember reading Warner Bundens' article years ago. One amusing detail I recall was regarding his difficulty getting the case detail to show in his photos. He found a clever way to improve the contrast, by giving the cases a quick blast of antiperspirant spray! -Cort

8. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ray,
    According to Dr. Bundens article, Prior to 1892 the sulky had eight foot wheels and weighted about 60 Ibs. The new bicycles of 1892 introduced light 28 in. wheels and the standard silky was soon radically changed in design.

Cort,
    You are telling your age.

Paul, Thanks !

If someone can copy the ads in the article and post them it would help a lot. The PFD format won't work with me ? Kent?

9. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Member NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Meybe I won't get in trouble... here is the article...delete if agin the rules...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. John Cote

John Cote Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    If you are ever driving North out of West Lafayette, IN on US 52 you can stop in the little town of Oxford and see Dan Patch's barn.

Dan_Patch_home_2007.png

luvsthetick, PatH and Bila like this.
  11. W.T. Owen

W.T. Owen Registered User

Apr 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a movement minus broken balance spring and a couple other minor details I don't remember but I'll give it to you for parts if you pay the freight.

12. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  13. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just checked - the link requires the log in.

14. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Dan Patch was a superstar at a time when harness racing was one of the major sports in the U.S.

His image and name were used on a plethora of products including feed, tobacco, booze, beer, children's wagons, sheet music, coffee...the list is endless. There was even a Hollywood feature movie made about him, "The Great Dan Patch". Not surprised, then, that his image and name were used to sell watches. I guess his handlers weren't horsing around when it came to making money through endorsements like many modern 2 legged athletes.

I've posted this previously. It's a famous poster of him advertising animal feed:

dan patch.JPG

In this instance the image was saved and put to decorative use in a tramp art frame.

RM

luvsthetick, PatH and Bila like this.
  15. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RM,

Dan Patch set the record of !:55 for the mile on Sept.8 1906.

The picture shows 1:56 1/4, so we can date it pre 1906. or pre Sept.1906.

John C. Thanks for the pic of Dan Patch's birthplace. He was born April.29,1896, in Oxford, Ind. and was never raced his first 4 years.

16. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    That's interesting! I love that kind of detective work.

Please excuse my dumb question as I am a dyed in the wool clock guy: are the DP watches stop watches? If so, would permit timing of other horses?

Also I'll mention a point I belabor on the clock related Forums: a watch or clock can be the entry point to some interesting history as they are the product of the time they were produced.

RM

17. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Well, certainly the ones that Jim has shown in this thread have Stop Watch on the dial.

18. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Didn't see without enlarging the pictures.

RM

19. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A update on this story. Back in post #2 I show the New England version with missing bridges and sweep second gears, etc. I saw a eBay auction for a lot of Dan Patch watches and partial movements and won it. There were several New England parts movements and they had what I needed to finish my watch.....

DSCN7626.JPG DSCN7628.JPG DSCN7624.JPG DSCN7629.JPG

If you are new to this thread go back to Terry Hall post #9 and read page 190 of the Dr.Bundens Bulletin article for an amazing story ending.

PatH likes this.