ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
this post is an expression of appreciation and thanks to the many folks on the message board who have helped me since i first showed up as a clock enthusiast ten-ish years ago. that help has included an amazing amount of repair and servicing advice and coaching... and resulted in this, the south wall of my home office... with nine pendulum clocks:

here are the clocks, with links to their original forum discussions... i know that some of these are marriages that no serious collector would consider, but each one was a find, a score/deal, and/or a learning experience. p.s.: i know the real repair guys have been doing all of the tasks mentioned below every day for years, but you'll always remember your first time!

from left to right:

8-day 1.5x scale wood movement clock in custom case, beats seconds
completely re-bushed (with DelrinAF, thx to r. croswell)

atkins 1875 30-day extra with upside-down movement and curved moldings
lots of bushings, including custom-lathed great wheel bushings front and back, kludged pendulum, non-original weights, repaired counter-balanced minute hand

1865-ish seth thomas #1 with round terry movement... all original except for the tablet done by tom moberg
cleaned, serviced, that's about it

1840-ish biedermeier vienna regulator
cleaned, serviced, escape wheel moved slightly to avoid pallet wear

(what's left of a) 1914 franke tall case (and now, wall) clock
serviced, pendulum kludged, falling apart case glued back together

standard electric time movement / unkknown case marriage
a true frankenclock comprised of disparate pieces: standard electric time movement (with very worn escape wheel teeth), kludged pendulum, seth thomas 8" bob, mystery case, synchron motor (and gearing) added, entry verge refaced with slipper

waterbury no. 4 (aka rosedale) time-only double-wind regulator
serviced

mystery jewelers regulator movement
serviced, kludged pendulum, custom wood support

1884 gothic vienna regulator
serviced, broken rack repaired

wall.jpg

Last edited:

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I am impressed, not only the varity, they all look to be on the same time :clap:

P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
The Netherlands
Country
What a nice wall you have there and what a nice gesture! I can only aggree with you, this messageboard is so pleaseant and helpful in so many ways.

nutmegtinker

Dec 25, 2020
CT
Country
Region
A great inspiration for someone new like me. You are presenting the fruits of a rich experience that reflects your individual character and the support of this wonderful community.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Nice clocks! But that one on the floor is a real dog. :D

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Great wall, Bruce! Is that a clock on every other wall stud, or some other spacing?

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
I am impressed, not only the varity, they all look to be on the same time :clap:
the best part is i posted on a monday afternoon, and wind (and regulate) them tuesday mornings... which means they're all running pretty close. in fact, i just now finished the morning wind (a little late because of an early meeting and then a tennis hit), and the worst one was the standard time w/ synchron motor, that i've just begun regulating. every now and then i'll get lucky and go to regulate one and it's dead on (woo hoo!). it's a little tough up here in hills... sometimes i have the doors and windows open, sometimes it's hot and dry (and sometimes cold and humid), and that particular wall is an exterior wall... gives me something to look forward to each week. :)

The guitar is out of tune! Nice collection!
that, my friend, is a very rare martin B-540 acoustic bass guitar, with (ridiculously expensive) nylon core strings (acousticore) that make it sound like an upright bass... and it's always in tune! :)

Reactions: D.th.munroe

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Great wall, Bruce! Is that a clock on every other wall stud, or some other spacing?
sorry... forgot to respond to this one.

the heavier clocks are secured to studs. i use 100 lb hooks for the others, typically w an additional screw through an existing hole in the inside back into a stud (which means they don’t have to be centered on studs)... or at minimum, sheetrock. that gives a bit of stability and keeps the clocks from moving when doors are opened.

mostly, i move them around and space them so they look their best next to each other. sometimes i’m matching reverse painted glasses, or considering how much reflection from what angles, etc. my sense of aesthetics might not match everyone else’s, but finding a balance that works for me for each wall in each room is part of the fun of getting a new clock... it’s like a chess match. :)

Reactions: PatH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drjjpdc
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff