The semi-mythical Unicorn (s)

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Roy Horrorlogic, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Roy Horrorlogic

Roy Horrorlogic Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I'm sure that most people contributing to NAWCC forums are well aware of plethora of brands that W&D tried out - Genex, Rolco, Unicorn etc. I have a half hunter signed Unicorn (baked into the dial) and W&D and Rolex in the silver case. Not much doubt about the provenance of that one.

However I also have a few undistinguished examples bearing W&D associated names which are definitely not watches that have been "upgraded" by the addition of dial signatures. "Unicorn" in particular is a name that crops up a lot. I'm appending photos of a complete watch that I recently revived plus a dial and another movement plus dial similarly marked. These contain either AS 984 or Tavannes 51 movements - the latter of which actually looks identical to the cal 38 version. One has a manufacturer's stamp that I have yet to identify.

I suppose what I'd like to know is whether the "Unicorn" brand was used independently of W&D? Which is the only explanation that makes sense - even though I'm aware that the "budget Rolexes" used various 3rd party movements.
    Roy

Unicorn-ish-4230004.jpg Unicorn-ish-4230005.jpg Unicorn-ish-4230006.jpg

Rick Hufnagel likes this.
  2. Roy Horrorlogic

NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Here's a Rolco with a Marconi signed case. Its provenance makes it seem unlikely that this one is an "upgraded" watch of modest birth.

Rolco-Marconi-4220072.jpg Rolco-Marconi-4220073.jpg Rolco-Marconi-4220074.jpg Rolco-Marconi-4220075.jpg

viclip likes this.
  3. Roy Horrorlogic

NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I've now dug out a few more Unicorns, in various states. A couple of them use the AS 984 movement with varying bridge shapes. and the associated cases have no identifying marks. Does anyone know over what sort of date ranges W&D were using "Rolco" and "Unicorn" (etc) brand names? Ranfft has the AS 984 example at 1940.
    Roy

4. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. Roy Horrorlogic

NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Well thank you!
    In view of the blizzard of speculation that this thread has generated I feel obliged to at least contribute a few more (bad) snaps of the genus. More available if required as well as decent photos of these movements.

Several attempts to delete the duplicate snap have failed...

W&Ds-9180232.JPG W&Ds-9180233.JPG W&Ds-9180234.JPG W&Ds-9180235.JPG

W&Ds-9180232.JPG

6. Paul Raposo

Paul Raposo Registered User

Nov 4, 2005
    Cambridge, ON Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: