The ravages of Time, Booze and living the Bush.

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by Omexa, May 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    I believe that if you put a grizzly in an enclosure with a lion, that the lion would lose. If a grizzly went fishing in a river where salties were, the grizzly would lose.

While you are at it with googly try the phrase; bite strength.

2. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User

Oct 31, 2015
    Interesting. Since we're off topic (whatever it is) I was traveling in the Yukon last summer, met a First Nation guy who used to be a hunting guide (big game sheep, bears, etc.), and also metal detects for gold (is doing it in Australia in the winter here, and is starting a fishing guide business there too). Anyway, he was telling me some very interesting bear encounter stories from his time as a hunting guide. He said the big black bears up there are actually more dangerous and vicious than the grizzlies, they'll attack you on a whim, and eat you. One chased him into a lake that he ran into to get away from it (he was surprised by it without his rifle on him), all he could do was yell and splash the bear who snorted and choked and swam out, then swam back in to get him a couple of times. He said he was sure he was a goner, growing weak from swimming to try to avoid the bear. Finally his guide buddy woke up from his nap in the nearby cabin and saw his predicament, and shot the bear. Day in the life in the Yukon...

Here's a pic of me on the road to Keno City (once booming silver mine area). Watch content: that's a Seiko Alpinist on my wrist :)

3. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    I'd heard that the black bears were the most unpredictably dangerous.

4. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User

Oct 31, 2015
    I was travelling with my daughter, and we tented in an amazing place called Tombstone Valley, on the Dempster Highway (isolated gravel road that heads all the way up to the Arctic). We gave a short ride to a nice Australian lady, who was in the Yukon to participate in a once in a lifetime river rafting trip on the Yukon River (or was it the Nahanni, I forget). Nice lady, just traveling solo with a backpack. We dropped her off at the trailhead to "Grizzly Lake", after she had been updated on bear sightings in the area, at the park lodge up the road. I admire people like that.

5. River rat

River rat Registered User

Apr 4, 2009
  6. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    Think I'd be more worried about Polar bears. They are the stronger grizzly cousins and they frequent more than just north America.

Wonder what mulled man tastes like?

7. Audemars

Audemars Registered User

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    #27 Audemars, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    At that altitude - very cold. Even in high summer.
    I was thirteen.

In the early sixties I shared a flat with a pal in Glastonbury (UK). He decided to go off around the world. His first stop was Canada where he got a job watching for forest fires. he wrote that he had to bounce .22 slugs off the the Grizzlies to discourage them from his bacon store.
    For the last 25 years or so he has lived in Kununurra W Australia where he fishes for some very big fish, the name of which I can't remember.
    He says that occasionally he foul-hooks a smallish saltie, when the phrase "cut line" takes on a whole new meaning.
    I shall consult with him about the grizzly vs saltie controversy

P

8. River rat

Apr 4, 2009
    #28 River rat, May 19, 2017
    Less deadly encounters with polar bears
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

For some reason at this trail head this sign makes you want to carry a 44 mag pistol because after seeing that video I posted bear spray seems not to work.
    [​IMG]

9. Accutronica

Accutronica Registered User

Nov 21, 2016
    Even a salt water croc wouldn't mess with a Hippo.

10. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    #30 Omexa, May 19, 2017
    Hi, a fight between a big Croc and a Grizzly would have one outcome; the Bear would get eaten. A big Croc outweighs a Grizzly by about 3 times the weight with a bite strength of about 3 times the PSI of the Bear. Crocs are very smart and will plan and wait for the opportunity to strike for weeks. They watch a person and get to know their routine and when the time is right they strike, not many people escape a big Croc. I live about 4 Kilometers from the Elizabeth River which has a large population of Crocs. My Mate Shorty has been servicing the outboard motors at jumping Crocs for years; despite my warnings he still goes in the water. I go back to Pocket Watches after this post. Regards Ray View attachment 344222 View attachment 344223 View attachment 344224 View attachment 344225 http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-01-17/hundreds-of-crocs-hauled-from-harbour/1015408

11. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
  12. River rat

Apr 4, 2009
    There's this TV show on the history channel called swamp people on the history channel were they hunt gators here a clip from it but our gator in the USA look small compared to what you have in Australia.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y_et7iw5-0

13. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    Indeed the biggest alligator is still a smaller beast.

I am always at a loss as to why people want to kill everything on the planet. Do we want to end up the only being on the planet?

14. River rat

Apr 4, 2009
    #34 River rat, May 19, 2017
    From the article Omexa posted Nearly 240 crocodiles were pulled out of Darwin Harbor last year. I guess for the same reason they only give so many hunting tags for Gator in Louisiana to keep there numbers down or they get out of hand and wonder into town. In Montana you can't hunt Grizzly's there still considered a endangered species only in self defense and there multiplying there numbers big time and they reintroduced the wolfs in Yellow Stone and they multiplied big time and a lot of them have left the park were I live about 200 miles from the Park and they have reached the area I live it's not as bad as you think. I never know what I am going to see when I go for a drive antelope , Elk, deer, moose, bald eagles, and pelicans who would think those in MT, badgers and if I go to the park buffalos and a lot of other stuff .

15. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi River rat, the Crocs that are pulled out of Darwin Harbour are relocated to other parts of the Territory and some of them are sent to the Croc Farms where they end up as Meat and Leather for Hand Bags etc. You can purchase Croc meat, Kangaroo and Buffalo in some Shops and Supermarkets. Crocs are not allowed to be Hunted, with large fines or a Jail term. Regards Ray

16. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    Can also buy camel meat. Australia is the only place on earth where wild camels exist. They are all feral.

17. PWfanatik

PWfanatik Registered User

Jul 7, 2015
    I still celebrate my 29th birthday each year!!
    At 57 do ya suppose I have changed a bit from the little character out front in my avatar???
    Dave.

[​IMG]

18. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    :) I've been 17 for almost fifty years and still look the same as my photo above. Apart from being a bit more weathered looking.

19. PWfanatik

PWfanatik Registered User

Jul 7, 2015
    Rough I been told I must be a 13 year old :p

20. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator

Dec 16, 2008
    We don't seem to have a "Bears and other dangerous animals" Forum, so I'm moving this fascinating thread to"Member News & Views" ... where you can continue to ponder the wilder spaces on this globe :coolsign: