• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

The one that got away

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
Last May, my wife and I visited our son in the Pacific Northwest and made a vacation of it, exploring. In an antique store in Napa, CA I saw a Schatz 1000 day clock for a pretty attractive price. The concept of shipping it back was a deal-breaker, so I passed on it.

This week, we came back to Napa with our kids and sig-oths for a wine vacation, escaping the zero degree weather in NY. I had to go back to that store to see if it was still there. It was! Talked the guy down and took it back to our Air BB. I’ve disassembled it for packing in my backpack. Attaching a shot of the back plate to get a start on the spring dimensions. Missing the bottom block and one top nut. Did this have glass panels originally? Seems to have plastic now.

It was fun to find it to close the loop.

Cheers.

Duane

74960015-7D48-45EE-8EEE-9E98EF9F973A.jpeg 325372DD-5B9D-4CBD-B4DC-677F0DC01AE2.jpeg

Reactions: Alex KVASHIN

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
Last May, my wife and I visited our son in the Pacific Northwest and made a vacation of it, exploring. In an antique store in Napa, CA I saw a Schatz 1000 day clock for a pretty attractive price. The concept of shipping it back was a deal-breaker, so I passed on it.

This week, we came back to Napa with our kids and sig-oths for a wine vacation, escaping the zero degree weather in NY. I had to go back to that store to see if it was still there. It was! Talked the guy down and took it back to our Air BB. I’ve disassembled it for packing in my backpack. Attaching a shot of the back plate to get a start on the spring dimensions. Missing the bottom block and one top nut. Did this have glass panels originally? Seems to have plastic now.

It was fun to find it to close the loop.

Cheers.

Duane

View attachment 690266 View attachment 690267
Has suspension guard too.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
All the 1000-day clocks I have in the coach style, called The Royal, which have a square cover and a small crown on top, have plastic panels on all sides. However, the first part of the production of these did have glass panels but they changed to plastic at some point.

Kurt

Last edited:

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
This one has the less-common straight legs - most of them have curved legs. This is only a cosmetic difference - they are otherwise identical.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Is the pendulum lock lever stuck underneath the clock? There's supposed to be a tip of a lever either on the left or right side of the front which raises the guide cup and captures the pendulum. Maybe it's there but it just got moved too far and slipped under the base.

Kurt

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
Is the pendulum lock lever stuck underneath the clock? There's supposed to be a tip of a lever either on the left or right side of the front which raises the guide cup and captures the pendulum. Maybe it's there but it just got moved too far and slipped under the base.

Kurt
Yes, it’s tucked under. It functions as it should. I locked it during the check out process. The guy said, oh, so you’re going to make it work again.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Yes, it’s tucked under. It functions as it should. I locked it during the check out process. The guy said, oh, so you’re going to make it work again.
"Oh, so you're going to make it work again?" :???:

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Let me know which top nut you're missing and I'll send one to you. I have plenty of spares on the shelf.

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
Considering that I'm missing the bottom block, are generic blocks available through Timesavers workable? Part of me can't wait to get a mill so I can make my own blocks.

Reactions: etmb61

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
I'll measure the dimensions on one of my bottom blocks and post tomorrow. Nothing magical about them as long as the dimensions are OK. I buy my suspension parts (springs, blocks, forks, etc.) from Horolovar. They're nice people to deal with and sell good products at good prices. Not a knock on Timesavers by any means...

Reactions: etmb61

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
I'll measure the dimensions on one of my bottom blocks and post tomorrow. Nothing magical about them as long as the dimensions are OK. I buy my suspension parts (springs, blocks, forks, etc.) from Horolovar. They're nice people to deal with and sell good products at good prices. Not a knock on Timesavers by any means...
Sorry it took me so long to find and measure one of the bottom blocks. Somehow life keeps getting in the way of my clock obsession.

Schatz 54 bottom block:
- 6.1mm wide
- 5.2mm high
- 2.1mm thick
Pin is 1.3mm diameter and 7.2mm overall length.

The only one of these dimensions that is critical is the thickness at ~2.0mm or so. If it's much thicker it may not slide into the pendulum hook. Same could happen if the pin diameter is much larger.

Hope this helps.

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
Sorry it took me so long to find and measure one of the bottom blocks. Somehow life keeps getting in the way of my clock obsession.

Schatz 54 bottom block:
- 6.1mm wide
- 5.2mm high
- 2.1mm thick
Pin is 1.3mm diameter and 7.2mm overall length.

The only one of these dimensions that is critical is the thickness at ~2.0mm or so. If it's much thicker it may not slide into the pendulum hook. Same could happen if the pin diameter is much larger.

Hope this helps.
Oh jeez, no worries. I got sucked in another direction with a little balance wheel/hairspring clock my wife loves. It’s frustrating but not as frustrating as work these days. I’ll hang on to the info for the resurrection. I appreciate your help Mr. Nut.

Reactions: Schatznut

River rat

Apr 4, 2009
Lucky it was still there. In the 1970's use to live in Yount Ville not far from Napa was in the CCC Calif conservation corps at the time our tree Nursery was located at the nut house in Napa was a trip to work there and trip on the patents. We grew tree's there for reforestation due to forest fires. Was a cool town in the 1970's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QueenIdella
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-