The One That Got Away

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Brian Smith, Dec 28, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Building Official
    Manassas, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Time to share sad stories. I'll start. Saw on my local Craigslist an Ansonia Excelsior crystal regulator for about 1/3 the internet going price. All crystal regulator buffs run to your Tran's Ansonia book and turn to page 117. The gold finish had been mostly polished off and it would run for about two days. It had been in Craigslist for less than an hour so I jumped on it. The seller contacted me and thanked me for my purchase and that he was afraid to ship it so he would deliver it to my door ( what a great find).

The next day he said that one of the side glasses had broken when he was too clumsy but that he would have a new one made. I said OK. Then he said that he would bring it to the local clock shop and have the movement cleaned and adjusted, I said "Great!" He later said that the repair person said it needed one new mainspring and that it would cost him $175 and since he knew that I was anxious to get it, he would offer me a complete refund or the clock when it was completed. I chose the clock.

He then contacted me and said the glass that he had made was not an exact fit and that he never wanted to sell the clock in the first place but that his assistant mistakenly put it up for sale. He repeated his offer for a full refund. Now my "buyer beware" alarms started going off and I accepted the refund. He then took about 10 days to issue the refund.

The Excelsior is a beautiful clock.

2. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "The Excelsior is a beautiful clock." It sure is. Too bad it didn't work out.

3. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did you actually pay for it before seeing it? Craig's List is a slippery place, much more so than eBay. be careful out there, sounds like you were very lucky to get a refund.

4. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Building Official
    Manassas, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I paid before seeing it. And I think you are right about the luck part.

5. beechleaf

beechleaf Registered User

Apr 9, 2013
    U.S. Postal Service
    Utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I do buy a lot off of Craig's list but only in person I'm glad you got the refund but sad it got away also I missed a Gazo Grandfather clock couple of weeks ago which broke my heart