• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

The newest member of the family, HAC/Mappin & Webb dual chime tambour clock no. 895

Albano B.

Apr 14, 2020
Boston, MA
Country
Region
Greetings all,

Well, it's happened. It's finally happened! After a few disappointments and false leads, I finally have in my collection a working, chiming, and absolutely wonderful HAC Westminster and Trinity dual chimer!

This clock is, I think, a bit of a curiosity. Until recently, I thought that the only HAC mantle clocks possessing the Trinity chime option were Geo. Borgfeldt's celebrates. However, this clock (although having a case more or less identical to my still under repair Celebrate) does not actually have the Celebrate name or logo anywhere, and appears to have been made instead for Mappin & Webb. Is my previous assumption therefore inaccurate, or is it uncommon to find non-Celebrate Trinity chimers?

Otherwise, the clock is a reasonably strong runner, though does have a couple of notable quirks. For one thing, the minute arbor turns incredibly easily, sometimes to the point where the weight of the hand is enough to turn it one way or another. Putting a bigger hand washer on it has helped a bit with that, but still, that minute arbor turns more easily than on any of my other clocks.
Another thing I have noticed is that when the strike train goes into warning, the strike lever actually lifts the three hammers that play the strike chord up a bit. Initially, this actually caused those notes not to sound at all when the clock chimed the full melody at the top of the hour. Somehow (I cannot for the life of me figure out how) I managed to adjust the hammer arms so that this doesn't happen anymore, and the chime plays correctly now, but I still notice that those three strike hammers lift slightly when strike goes into warning. Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

Finally, I'm attaching some photos of this clock for your viewing pleasure. I've also made a Youtube video of it chiming. The actual chimes begin around 2:16.

Because the mics on my phone don't do this clock nearly enough justice, I have also made a high-quality binaural recording of it for anyone who might be interested. Headphones are recommended for the best listening experience. The recording is at:

Enjoy!

HAC overview.jpg HAC side.jpg HAC dial.jpg HAC back 1.jpg HAC back 2.jpg

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
Very nice! The first time I've seen a Mappin & Web chimer with a Celebrate style movement. An easy way to solve the early hammer lift on the strike for these clocks is to loosen the set screw on the strike lifting lever (your last picture) and moving the lever to the right (away from the movement). This will lower the strike hammer lifting bar a little bit.

Nice clock.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
An easy way to solve the early hammer lift on the strike for these clocks is to loosen the set screw on the strike lifting lever
Is lifting the hammers during warning a bad thing? Just wondering as I debate where to set the timing of chimes/strikes.

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
Is lifting the hammers during warning a bad thing? Just wondering as I debate where to set the timing of chimes/strikes.
Yes, for the reason that the chime/strike trains will stall out later in the week due to the lack of initial power to get the train moving with the additional load of lifting the hammers at the very start. Allowing the trains to spin up to speed (or close to it) helps the chiming and striking train run reliably through the week.

Reactions: Salsagev

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
I've read in a book that the chime should start right away after warning but no additional load during warning seems correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
S1987m
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-