FDelGreco

Moore NWCM Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
The Public Time gallery is up and running (ticking!) at the National Watch & Clock Museum.

You may recall that I wrote an article for the May/June 2020 Clock & Watch Bulletin (pages 233-236) about how my team and I took down and cleared out the old Stonehenge gallery. Slowed by the pandemic, the gallery finally got a new laminate floor and a paint job. So I had a room, 42 feet in diameter, in which to create a public time gallery. The empty gallery looked like this:
floor1.JPG

I had two self-imposed criteria for laying out the clocks:

1. I wanted visitors to be able to see both the front and back sides of the clocks, so I kept them out about four feet from the walls, when possible. I wanted the display to meet ADA requirements.

2. I wanted to arrange the clocks in sections with like characteristics or origins, if possible.

I arranged the clocks as follows:

Section 1: “Clocks Come in Many Sizes.” There are three sizes of E. Howard tower clocks. A poster – being prepared – will explain that manufacturers made clocks in several sizes, depending upon the size and number of dials to be driven and the size and number of bells to be struck.
Many sizes.JPG

Section 2: “American Made Clocks.” These are clocks, including woodenworks, that were made in America.
American clocks1.JPG
American clocks2.JPG

Section 3: “Clocks from Around the World.” These are European clocks at this time, notably German and French.
Around the world1.JPG
Around the world2.JPG

Section 4: “Street Clocks.” This section is reserved for the Ansonia street clock – when its restoration is complete – but other street clock movements are on display here – including the Ansonia movement that is driving the big dial. Right now, the Seth Thomas precision clock is located here until the gallery that will hold it is finished. It was put here initially and is very difficult to move.
Street clocks1.JPG
Street clocks2.JPG

Even the Jacob Custer has a place in the new gallery.
Jacob.jpg

There are 21 tower and street clocks on display with 11 of them running.

I urge everyone to come see the new gallery. A good time might be during the Mid-Eastern regional in November since the museum is only 10 miles away from York.

I thank the board of directors for never saying to me “No, you can’t do that!” when designing and constructing the gallery.

PM me if you have any questions.

Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GregsterB
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Illinois Watch Company by Kent