The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak)

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Tom McIntyre, Oct 18, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?

What is the most expensive watch you wear?

1. < $500

38 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. $500 to $5,000

77 vote(s)
    50.7%
  3. $5000 to $20,000

26 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. $20,000 to $50,000

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. > $50,000

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. M. Cross

M. Cross Registered User

Nov 18, 2002
    Distance Education
    Tennessee
    Region Flag:
    Since my posting in 2012, I've upgraded to an Omega Speedmaster Professional 'Moonwatch' with a panda dial as my daily wear watch. Absolutely LOVE that thing, and use its chronograph functions all the time.

Funniest thing I've ever happen while wearing the watch is, since it has a white face, the black registers are pretty prominent, and their positions on the dial give a particular 'pattern', as will be shown in a moment.........I was standing in line at a ride at Disney World this past February when I overheard a lady point out my watch to her husband, and asked what it was? He proceeded to tell her it was a VERY rare Omega 'hidden Mickey' dialed Speedmaster that Omega only produced in the early 1970's, and that I was fortunate to own one....and then they moved off with her apparently being very impressed with my timepiece.

So, if you have a white dialed 'panda' Omega Speedmaster with the 3 black registers, you, too, own a rare Omega 'hidden' Mickey Mouse watch! (grins)

Regards! Mark

2. DavidA1

DavidA1 Registered User

Jan 3, 2014
    #52 DavidA1, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    I find the entire subject laughable, to be honest.

If you analyse the motivation behind paying vast sums for anything you're actually left with a philosophical dilemma: ownership of anything is governed by a)necessity, b)utility, or c) luxury.

Sometimes it's a combination of A and B, but essentially C always stands alone.

I was given a Patek for my 21st birthday and it was my most prized possession until all £20k of it was stolen from me by a guy with a knife when I was 32. Gone. By an absolute miracle it was returned to me three years later when the moron tried to sell it to a registered dealer in Bond Street. I had it serviced, a scratch repaired, and then I sold it. This thing was an engineering and artistic marvel yet what was it to me but a cause of concern and obsession. My father wasn't remotely offended by the sale, fortunately. He knew I was never going to wear it outside the house again.

I've got three vintage Omegas from the 1920s-1940s that I bought broken and repaired, two Baume et Merciers, a Tudor, a lovely old Breitling, and a stunning 1920s silver Art Deco wristwatch which I adore. The prized possession is the converted "trench watch" my great-grandfather wore on his wrist at the Battle of Jutland. I look at it most days and realise it means far more to me than a £20k lump of luxury. I guess the point is that you can't buy something that truly matters, whereas you can spend a million pounds on all sorts of stuff.

If I inherit ten million pounds will I buy a £200k watch? Nah...

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's true, I have things that mean a great deal to me that are worth virtually nothing, my family don't have a history of collecting antiques but I do and I have a house stuffed with them.

I tried to buy a patek philippe from a jeweller I knew in the seventies but he would not sell it to me. It was when I first came across the name. It was another 40 years before I bought one. I love it, but I don't wear it all the time because my job isn't suited, and I always wear a wristwatch day and night, the Patek Philippe isn't suitable. The idea of a robbery doesn't really occur to me, I'm more likely to get hit by lightning. It's insured anyway, and as I bought it for myself I can always buy another one.

4. mldenison

mldenison Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Retired
    York, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've always been fascinated with grand complication clocks and watches as well as moon phase dials. In doing an internet search, I ran across the Citizen Campanola series. These have been in production for a number of years but are only marketed by Citizen in Japan. The first ones made had. and still have, a quartz movement but they've expanded into ecodrive and mechanical movements as well. The echodrive and mechanical movements are, well, not as complicated.

The Campanola Grand Complication watch is hand assembled in limited numbers. In a large hand-polished steel case, the handmade dial is done in a style called “Japanese rosewood." It has the time, perpetual calendar, moon phase indicator, chronograph, GMT hand, and a minute repeater. A few find their way onto eBay - some new and some used which is where I found mine. The prices range from mid $2K to mid $4K. I paid around $1,300 for mine as it had some scratches which I've mostly buffed out.

The stainless steel band was a bit tight so I called Citizen and they do stock links. The person I talked with looked up the link price and one was $75. I then asked her what a complete band would cost. After a few seconds she said, "Oh my. Let me place you on hold to check the price.". When she returned, she had verified the price as being $850. I told her to just send the link.

Attached Files:

5. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    These two are the most expensive watches I wear the first a Tudor Snowflake submariner Cir 1970 has doubled in price since I got it I guess due to Tudor started selling the Snowflakes subs again and the vintage ones were rediscovered. The vintage ones use to be the poor mans Rolex not no more.
    [​IMG]
    And then my Hanhart 417 issued chronograph less of them are on the market so the price has been going up on them since I got this one I wear all my wristwatches don't care if they are high value they don't collect dust in the safe.
    [​IMG]

6. hattemaker156

hattemaker156 New Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
  7. renowatchmen

renowatchmen New Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Horologist
    Reno Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: The most expensive watch I wear (Omega PO chrono co-axial, etc,etc,etc.

This is a banner day as I am wearing my Orange bezeled Omega planet ocean chrono. I think this is one of the originals with the Co-axial movement, roughly 10 years ago, about? This watch was purchased for me by my current wife for reward for stopping smoking. Directly after buying this watch, we went to a water park in Texas and I wore it the whole time. The first test it passed with flying colors and has been my favorite ever since. At a price tag retail of $7,500.00, not paying for cigarettes has paid for itself time and time again. Cheap reward for a life without cigarettes.

8. Larsson

Larsson Registered User

Jan 27, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I've just bought my dream watch Christopher Ward C9. And it is the most expensive watch I wear so far :)

9. AlAbernathy

AlAbernathy Registered User

Jun 11, 2016
    Software ENgineer
    United States
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    @Accutronitis ... Brilliant! Not only is the watch amazing I love the history behind it. Very exciting. My father was in the Air Force and flew in Vietnam. When I asked him about whatever became of his pilot's watch he replied "It was just some cheap Bulova or something" ... my jaw dropped. Clearly, he's not a watch guy but to have captured that history and his story in a beautiful timepiece would have been timeless and (for me) priceless. Was this YOUR service timepiece or do you know the story of the specific wearer?

10. AlAbernathy

AlAbernathy Registered User

Jun 11, 2016
    Software ENgineer
    United States
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #60 AlAbernathy, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    Almost embarrassed to admit it here, but my daily wear watches are an ever growing variety of cheap Chinese watches that range from $2 - $10. I do have a $1000 Movado Elrio that I purchased about 12 years ago which I still wear quite regularly. Being on a very limited budget these days, however I have been enjoying the variety that these uber-inexpensive Chinese timepieces provide. I have always loved watches though and vicariously enjoy the Patek Phillipe's and Tudors through my more well-heeled fellow horologists. Keep posting pictures of those amazing timepieces!

11. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is one magnificent watch!

Simply put this Hamilton watch has style and character all it's own and only one word needed to describe it.....beautiful.....regardless of price.

12. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My humble watch collection consist of a dollar amount range from a couple hundred bucks $ to a couple of thousand bucks $ and everything in between.

So with that being said the two most expensive timepieces (sorry no pictures) are my Meistersinger No.1 and my recently added Wempe Zeitmeister Chronometer.

13. f2shooter

f2shooter Registered User

Nov 26, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I've read through this entire thread now and as a newcomer here I feel like something of a piker. My favorites are three pocket watches, two of them Waltham and most recently an Elgin. I wear these only on nicer occasions for now and none cost more than $120. They all are railroad watches and date to about 1890. I am simply fascinated at having a watch that works so well and is into its third different century of use. For daily wear my most pricey was a very nice stainless Tag that mysteriously disappeared I suspect into the hands of a dealer of illegal items. My favorite is a Seiko digital dating back to 1992 and was expensive at the time. I'm wearing it now in fact. My nicest modern ones now are a Seiko and a Caravelle. The most practical? $30 Timex watches from Wal Mart. Inexpensive but durable and accurate, they run for years with nearly no attention. I have family members wearing some beautiful Rolexes every day but I don't see one in coming the near future.

Rick H.

14. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    #64 roughbarked, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Some days I wear Rolex, others something else. Once I wore a Vacheron Constantin, another time I wore a Patek Phillipe. Not my watches. If I repair it, I test it on my wrist.
    Mostly though I wear a range of Seiko, Omega, Bulova, Certina, Roamer etc, from my own collection. The Revue skeleton watch is the only watch I ever bought new. For a long time I loved the Seiko Bellmatic that I picked up for $20 and fitted out with new dial and extra jewels until I lost it in a peach orchard. Got it back a few years later, rusty.

15. Tom Diss

Tom Diss Registered User
    Donor

Sep 6, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Thank you. I've since replaced the applied gold numeral dial and blued steel hands with luminous versions. Much better looking now in my opinion.

View attachment 344616

16. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been very busy with other things and have not visited this thread for a few years. I am delighted to see that the poll has accumulated quite a few responses.

My thought when posting this was partly to discover "who we were" at some level beyond what we see in the discussions about watches and clocks. If the responses to the poll are genuine, then we do have a small cadre of 13 posters who at least occasionally wear watches worth more than $20,000.

Perhaps our members who are wealthy do not care to take the time to post here or may be too modest to "show off" their wealth. Many of the web sites that focus on high end watches regularly have posts from individuals who are "going to Geneva this weekend to pick up my xyz watch that I have been waiting a year for since purchasing." I would hope that some of those folks would feel welcome here as well.

Since my own collection consists primarily of pocket watches which I do not carry on any regular basis (only very rarely for "dress up") the value is in those items. I own a few watches that I believe are worth over $50,000 but I have never paid nearly that much for a watch. The reason I collect watches is to better understand the people and companies that made them. I find the watches themselves focus my attention and give the stories about them more body.

I gave a presentation in Louisville last year at the National Meeting of the NAWCC on the subject of "Personal Time" that focused on watches made specifically for individuals to have and wear. As part of that presentation, some members lent watches for the exhibit that exceeded $50,000 in purchase price. There were also a few watches with current values over $100,000 such as the Howard, Davis and Dennison 8 day watch No. 3 which probably belonged to Aaron Dennison when it was first made.

17. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #67 Mr. Time, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Very interesting.

Personally, I view "manual wrist watch timepieces" as works of art and beauty. Such small mechanical device-instruments that were designed to have a significant roll on every day human life (but that can be said just about time in general) way before cell phones consumed the human way of life that is seen so prevalent today.

I feel that a timepiece/wrist watch says something about an individual.

Though, regardless of price I like all of the timepieces in my collection in each of their own way.
    Some I wear for special occasions and others just for everyday use. But "never" for their brand name, price, cost or prestige.

18. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,

Since this thread is 5 years old and a person can only vote once, it may be prudent to open up a new thread (version 2.0, so to speak) to see how the answers have changed, if any.

Regards,

19. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered user.
    NAWCC Member

May 3, 2012
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
  20. pierre mannaert

pierre mannaert Registered User

Jun 24, 2017
    Country Flag: