The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak)

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Tom McIntyre, Oct 18, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?

What is the most expensive watch you wear?

1. < $500

43 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. $500 to $5,000

95 vote(s)
    53.4%
  3. $5000 to $20,000

27 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. $20,000 to $50,000

7 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. > $50,000

6 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In the European Pocket Watch Forum, the subject of the Freak came up and the position was expressed that such an expensive watch would, of necessity, not be worn. I think that may not be true. It really depends on the attitude of the owner.

I have an Omega Manhattan first edition that I wear every day and have had to have almost all the bracelet pins replaced over the last 15 years I have been wearing it. I also have a first edition Co-Axial DeVille that I wear on most special occasions.

I wonder how many here have wristwatches in the Freak's price range (>$50,000) that they wear on a regular basis. On a statistical basis, we should have around 20 billionaires using the Message Board for whom such a watch would be a nice thing to wear.

I will set up an anonymous poll in case people do not want to identify themselves. :)

2. nomorewatch

nomorewatch Registered User

Aug 2, 2012
    Re: Nardin Freak

Since I became interested in the Freak, I have been checking its prices all the time, I think the Freak will not exceed $30,000 easily, so please do not see it as an expensive monster.

And, my apology for making trouble in your forum this time by crossing the border in a pocket watch section.

3. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

The retail asking price on the new Freak Diavolo appears to be $163,000. Even if that is keystone, it would be difficult to buy one under $80,000. The older model and second hand examples could be much less expensive and Asian knock offs will be much cheaper at under $300 for something that looks like one on the wrist.

4. nomorewatch

Aug 2, 2012

I only aim the version 1.5, which market price is around $25,000 to $30,000USD, I firmly believe that the later versions of the Freak are just black-holes of money----they are almost worthless since there are no more major changes to the mechanism but only changes of color or unnecessary complications.

BTW, are there really any competent replica of the Freak? I thought it's quite technically impossible to copy it without the right equipment and material.

5. ulackfocus

ulackfocus Registered User

Jun 4, 2009

If they made a version of the Freak that was <40 mm I'd wear it. Some of DeBethune's models are freakin' awesome too (pardon the obvious pun), and I had a Richard Mille RM035 on at last years Timekeeper show in NYC that felt like it was built around my wrist. If I ever get to that level of income, I could see myself wearing something like that as a day off / casual watch. The ones I've just mentioned are too avante garde for me to ever wear to work with a suit & tie since I waver from the strict dress watch code only slightly by maybe allowing a second hand.

6. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I made this thread sticky because polls that are active do not get bumped back to the top of the thread list. I will unstick it when we have a reasonable number of poll votes.

7. artbissell

artbissell Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    1979 startup ABCO Industrial Sales
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    #7 artbissell, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    I like compact chronograph w.w. so a yellow faced very bright luminus dial Seiko quartz with worn gold plating has seen 90% use for last ten years. Came with good battery at house sale for $3. As an indiscriminate collecter I have fine Omega, Lemania others that are seldom used.

Sieko and nice compact alternate Marcel seldom used. have $5000+ Omega as most expensive but never used.

IMG_8124az.jpg IMG_1177.jpg IMG_1184.jpg

8. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    My previous posting seems obnoxious wiseguy comment although it was intended to be merely a report about my actual w.w. use. I recently bought the latest Seiko chronograph of reasonably compact size with similar movement to replace my old one, but it is so far unused. Noticed Seikos are being discounted heavily lately.
    At my 4 score age I seem to have some superstition and unease about giving up such a personal, usefully dependable, item. Sort of like my now gone wife.
    Much pleasant circumstances in last few years shared with it; so perhaps as well a good luck charm. ----strangely sentimental about a $3. watch------

9. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not snarky at all Art. I seldom wear my $5K plus Omega, but it seems I have worn it enough that the strap is starting to crack and will need to be replaced. :(

I am surprised that so few readers of this forum wear watches at all. (Only 24 poll responses the last time I looked.)

10. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 doug sinclair, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
    Tom,

Especially puzzling considering the 482 views of the thread! The percentage responses indicate the preferences for above average to expensive watches as preferred by frequenters of this MB which are quite different to the preferences of John Q Public who seems to prefer watches up to about $ 100.00! I wonder if there might be more interest in the thread if you "dropped" the names of makes and models of the watches reported in the survey. Look for PMS from anyone who wanted to name the watch they included in your poll. Look for a PM from me.

11. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wear a Citizen quartz during the week and an American Waltham pocket watch on weekends. The one on weekends is a 7 jewel 1883 that keeps time within a couple of minutes a week.

12. nomorewatch

Aug 2, 2012
    Currently, I am wearing a Casio G-Shock which is solar-driven, wave-control, and it's running great.

13. Angelus2

Angelus2 Registered User

Oct 21, 2012
    Country Flag:
    #13 Angelus2, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    I will wear this one If I find someone to restore it. Lucky me it is still working but needs some make up. It is a conversion of a pocket watch to a wrist watch so I think there is not many people wearing this :) And price... I do not know. Hope it is more then restoring :)
    Tom I am sure it is not in the Freak's price range :) 4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

14. Pete Restall

Pete Restall Registered User

Nov 26, 2012
    Melbourn, Cambridgehire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My everyday watch is my Stainless 1000 Series Tag Heuer, brand new in 1987, worn every day and night, and showered with, for the last 25 years, used in the sea whilst swimming and snorkelling, it's had a couple of services and batteries, it's been battered and bashed (at the last service they wouldn't guarantee the waterproofing due to the scratches in the glass), but it's never let me down (apart from when it lets me know it needs a new battery ;-)).

I often try some of the others I've got, but still straight back to the TAG every time, after 25 years the links in the strap have all stretched slightly to fit my wrist, it's not too heavy or light and I wouldn't replace it. I'll buy more watches, but this will always be my everyday watch.

Pete

15. M. Cross

M. Cross Registered User

Nov 18, 2002
    Distance Education
    Tennessee
    Region Flag:
    I wear watches daily, and today am wearing my Wenger GST 27j Chronograph, but usually reach for one of my pocket watches.

I think the reason many aren't replying is they may be scared off by the huge prices being tossed around above. If my Wenger weren't essentially bullet proof, I probably wouldn't wear it either, as last listing I saw on it was around $1700....if you can find them with the 7750 Valjoux movement.

Regards! Mark

16. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The idea of saying wear instead of wearing daily or some other phrase was to find out if others have "special occasion" watches that they wear from time to time.

I normally wear my quartz Omega Manhattan model but on special occasions, I will wear my Limited Edition Omega Co-Axial the I did pay over $5,000 for. I don't wear it very often.

If I dealt in high end wristwatches like Patek and Rolex I would occasionally wear one of my top end examples for at least an hour or so at a trade show I think.

17. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I generally only wear my virtually NOS Rolex Daytona (circa 1985) at an NAWCC event such as a regional or a National. I've had it since new. I have resisted many very tempting offers on this watch over the 25 years I have owned it! Likewise my 1933 Rolex Prince Observatory duo-dial of which I am the second owner.

18. Tom Diss

Tom Diss Registered User

Sep 6, 2004
    Country Flag:
    My most expensive watch is this 1931 Hamilton Pinehurst valued about $5K. Due to number of watches in my rotation, its turn comes up about 3 times a year.

mpine1.jpg

19. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    love that pinehurst.

Jeff

But fotta tell you , everytime we sell a Freak or an El Toro, I am amazed.We are lucky to have a Naridnbotqie in ours store, but still...it amazes me when we sell them. And more over the 3k to 9k Seikos

20. CurseWord

CurseWord Registered User

Jan 8, 2013
    Wilmington, Delaware (United States)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RADO D-Star 200 is the most expensive watch in my current collection with a MSRP of $1,795, street price of $1300.

IMG_20120725_104512.jpg
    IMG_20120725_154104.jpg

21. prideofmatchingham

prideofmatchingham Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    Well, the costliest watch I wore was Rolex Oyster Royal with a sub second costing roughly 2.5 K USD
    DSC02415 (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg DSC02418 (1024x768).jpg

The most regularly used watch is a humbler Roamer give below costing upto and within USD 500
    IMG_7894 (1024x683).jpg

Other three most frequently used watches are Venus calendar with sub second with mystery dial (it has a Venus De Milo figurine on the dial which I havent found across anywere), Nicolet with Sub second and Crawford calendar-all well within USD 500 range.

DSC01802 (1024x768).jpg DSC02050 (1024x768).jpg IMG_7823 (1024x683).jpg
    DSC01804 (1024x768).jpg DSC01805 (1024x768).jpg DSC01807 (1024x768).jpg

Any help on mystery dial of venus and Venus De Milo? Something to do with Venus De Milo Festival in Rome in 1950s? Limited edition? Or I aam optimistic as usual?

POM

22. CurseWord

CurseWord Registered User

Jan 8, 2013
    Wilmington, Delaware (United States)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I really, really like this, it's just gorgeous!

23. prideofmatchingham

NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    Thanks!

But aam not able to date it or find out about its history. Tried contacting Venus but there was no reply.
    Write ups on net show that Venus company celebrated that festival in Rome in 1950s to promote Venus brand. Breznev made the brand 'popular' by wearing it during his times. But I FIND NOT AA SINGLE SUCH WATCH ON NET HAVING VENUS DE MILO ON THE DIAL.

Would appreciate any feedback from learned friends here.
    POM
    PS: (Everybody has liked this watch. However no one has said that it can be worth more than 500 USD. And I honestly dont know its value! But it goes real well on formal dresses.)

24. Oldfathertime

Oldfathertime Registered User

Sep 8, 2010
    Retired Farmer.
    S.West U.K.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is, or would be, very nice to own a very expensive watch but in my opinion it's like the man of the 1970's wearing a heavy gold neckchain or large medalion, nothing more than a 'look at me' symbol. The majority of modern £20 watches will accurately tell and keep time just as well as a £20,000 watch and in my profession an expensive watch would be trashed in a matter of minutes. I have to be careful wearing watches as the materials they are made of reacts against my skin, stainless steel, gold and silver is ok but base metals like nickel will take my skin off after just a matter of a couple of days wearing. If you're looking at a watch for its engineering and pedigree then I can appreciate the 'top names' but there are a huge amount of very functional good looking watches out there that have street cred at an affordable price for everyday use and reliability nand if it does go wrong a lot easier and more economical to chuck it and buy another. I think that if I had that sort of disposable income I'd buy a house and rent it out, far better investment and use of finances.

25. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suspect that the great majority of us who need to know where the money is coming from feel pretty much the same. I own one expensive watch because George Daniels showed me the prototype at the Longitude Symposium. When they became available at a price I could pay I bought one.

People who regularly wear $20,000 watches are generally saying that they have no concerns about money and they want others to know that. This is especially true of those that wear something unpretentious like a Patek Phillipe perpetual calendar. They want their junior associates to see the watch and then go look up what it cost. Others who sell such watches also wear them from time to time as a promotional activity. I think both of those motivations are reasonable

26. prideofmatchingham

NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    I have my take on it and will try to marshal my thoughts for whatever it is worth.

Recognition is a primordial need, after security, food, and sex comes need for recognition. Kind of Maslow Hierarchy of Needs. Same applies to watches in some ways. Watches are different from gold chain, diamond ring or jewelary. These items (gold chain, diamond ring or jewelry) are conspicuous and can be seen by the other person or shown off easily by person wearing it. Watches can be 'seen' but cost cannot be ascertained unless one can see and read the brand.

Hence what submit is this:

A very costly antique watch is worn by rich man not because he is seeking attention or 'look-at-me's', but possibly because he wants a 'piece of history and class' and wants the stamp of approval that he is/was a man borne in class. There have been examples in history where warriors or even slaves who have assumed 'kingship' have chosen names to show that they have had great lineage. For example, Balban, who was a royal slave and claimed descent from mythical Afrasiyab of Turan and thus pretended on this ground to an innate right to superiority and rule. Point being sought to be made is that association with culture, heritage, fine arts, history, antiquities and lineage bestow upon the person a kind of 'halo' and distinguishes him apart. A person of lineage wearing an antique 50000 USD watch is that NOT trying to bring attention to himself (more often than not), but a noveau riche doing it may, in all probabity, be doing so. A noveau riche is doing what Balban did, albeit, by 'culturising his money' whereas normal process is to 'monetise the culture'. He is seeking 'recognition and lineage by association with pricy aspects and things'.

Did I make sense, Tom? Or am I confused?

27. Jack_W

Jack_W Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Geologist
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This seems like a nice long-lived thread with an on-going and interesting discussion. Most expensive watch I own? What it is worth and what I paid are two different things. Monetary value for four watches all come in about the same: just under $500. Did I pay this much? No. One was a gift that I would never have bought for myself but was received when I got married. She gave me a nice modern Hamilton. I nearly wear it daily which is not always a gentle or clean affair. I own two gold watches: A Longines in 14k white gold (have posted about it before) which was practically a gift from the watchmaker I bought it from (under $200 with the service); I have seen similar sell for 3 times that price. A recent purchase also a 14k gold watch which I acquired at an estate sale for the near-embarrassing price of $40; its current scrap price is 10x that. Finally one watch came to me because of someone's death. An inevitable fate for us all but it is a cost to me if I'm allowed to measure this way. I would gladly trade back to have the person. I also know that won't be the last watch 'passed' on to me. I don't look forward to those days. Although now that I think of it, most of the watches in my collection I am sure are 'some dead persons' watch.

A morose thought maybe but whether the watch cost $3 or $30,000, eventually it will become the remains of a 'prior owner'. We can't take it with us.

28. Lumpkin & Beas

Lumpkin & Beas Registered User

Mar 2, 2013
    Hi there members and dedicated horologists,

You may find this tidbit amusing...

The most expensive watch I "WORE" (Note the past-tense) actually originally cost me nothing to acquire. I actually found it in a discarded can full of screws, nails and bolts I "liberated" from a scrap metal collection container at my (then) local trash transfer collection station.

It was a lovely old Girrard Perigeaux (?sp) whose stem and crown had some strange "hook-in" kind of thing going.

I had brought it to my friend who is a retail jeweler. He in turn had a watchmaker overhaul the thing and replace some parts. This cost me the better part of $200. I also purchased a fine quality watch strap (being a closet megalomaniac) for another $150 and wore it home.

2 days later, while washing dishes in my sink I discovered I had forgotten to remove the watch (not water resistant) from my wrist. It made a lovely portable fish tank! I was so infuriated with myself I just tossed it on the counter and there it stayed until I could manage to calm down. (Two weeks and a scotch or two later)

So back to the jeweler it went, this time costing around $350 for restoration and rust removal. As the strap was still okay I elected not to delve further into my wallet at that time. When back, I had it on all of about 3 or 4 days when I somehow lost the crown! Back to the jeweler for another $45 genuine GP part.

Then, as autumn had set in I was wearing my "free" watch and enjoying life... until I decided to split wood manually. This pretty much scattered the guts into horological hodgepodge.

Some 5 years (and a divorce) later I managed to find the freebie again. I brought it back to the jeweler who sent it back to the watchmaker who sent it back to me with a $225 repair bill. Now I jumped off into the deep end again for another fine watch strap costing $###. (You remember I mentioned a divorce here...)

Well 3 days later, at the home of my (then girlfriend) wife it was time for bed. Up to our bedchamber we went, only to discover "Benny", one of our retired racing Greyhounds had "Benny-ated" my GP! The crystal had a hole in the base at the 6 o'clock position (where the sub-dial for the second sweep was) and there was little more than a stub where once there was luxurious genuine reptile strap. The case... a goner. "Tempus et morte". All I could do was to laugh. It was better than screaming.

So that's my story of a free watch that turned out to be probably the most expensive watch I'll have ever owned. (I've had a few Rolex's but that's another story for another time)

Keep smiling!

Jeff at Lumpkin & Beas

29. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good thing you don't own one of those guns with a large magazine, who knows what would have happened to girlfriend and dog. Sorry to hear about the demise of the "free" watch.

30. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I almost always wear a pocket watch, but when I need to wear a wristwatch (due to no watch pocket in some pants) I have a few from which I can choose. What would probably be the most expensive one is this International Watch Co. calibre 82 from around 1920. It is in an 18K Cressarrow case. I will wear it for weddings or other fancy occasions.

31. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    #31 artbissell, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

amazing to me a newe olde collector of Gruen and Hamilton w.w. Your pinehurst is my exact age and I would have valued it at less than $500. Just got a big platinum and diamond 1944 recase with 1936 680 mvnt. Little more than scrap value. Preserved condition. Not a real Hamilton, but certainly an exotic Gruen Curvex beater and embarrassment to use. Prefer an old Seiko chronograph and fine ss and gold $1200. Speedmaster. I really appreciate the Pinehurst, actually. Not the vaaluation. I am learning reluctantly about the Hamilton w.w. reputation.

IMG_1585a.jpg IMG_1576a.jpg IMG_1580a.jpg IMG_8172ax.jpg

32. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    #32 artbissell, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    My 90% use for 15 years Seiko chrono was garage sale $3.00 with good battery. art b

IMG_1184a.jpg IMG_1177a.jpg

33. Sparcster

Sparcster Registered User

Mar 31, 2012
    Region Flag:
    One of my newest and by far my most expensive purchase to date.

1919 IWC in 18k screw (borgel design) case.

189.jpg

In the world of IWC this was cheap.. being in the lower section of $500-$5000....

My ww2 Omega W.W.W. issued watch is a close second (in terms of value/cost).... and both get worn just as much as any other watch in the collection (that said, I would not wear them to a site meeting - building sites that is)

Marc

34. RonC

RonC Registered User

Oct 21, 2009
    Massachusetts, U.S.A.

My wife and I bought a used Daytona to celebrate our anniversary. After that, most expensive is a no-date Sub, which after all the trade-ins and so forth was a couple grand.

35. RonC

RonC Registered User

Oct 21, 2009
    Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    "People who regularly wear $20,000 watches are generally saying that they have no concerns about money and they want others to know that. This is especially true of those that wear something unpretentious like a Patek Phillipe perpetual calendar. They want their junior associates to see the watch and then go look up what it cost. "

I think it's fair to say some people just want terrific stuff --whether it be a high-grade watch, fancy car...-as you only live once.

36. Accujohn

Accujohn Registered User

Apr 19, 2013
    Jeweler
    OREGON
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I carry a 1907 Hamilton PW... But I wear a Casio atomic solar G Shock. Hey, it's 2013, i hate setting and changing batteries and the only one besides me that i have to impress is my 9 year old boy. I gave up impressing my wife;)

37. prideofmatchingham

NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    There is someone here who wears watch worth more than 50000 USD!
    May I request him or any other member, whether owner or not, to upload a few pictures of how a watch costing over USD 50000 looks like! And its functionalities. Am just curious.

38. Dch48

Dch48 Registered User

Jan 12, 2012
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I usually wear one of my 2 Citizen Eco-Drives that cost me $105 and $90 respectively. Both were discounted by 40% from MSRP. The most expensive watch I own is my Crescent Street pocket watch that cost me $175 on eBay. $200 is the absolute maximum I will pay.

39. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Until yesterday (Saturday) I wore a Seiko that was given to me. It didn't run, and the previous owner declined a repair estimate, I was told. But it was virtually un-used. So I put a $7.00 movement in it, and I use once in a while. Today, I am wearing my Omega Speedmaster automatic, steel and 18-karat rose gold, with rose gold sub-dials. Made for the European market for only one year, I have been told. Somehow, quartz watches of any description simply don't excite me. Not to say that the quartz watch is not the right watch for the 21st century. How can hundreds of millions of quartz watch wearers be wrong? Maybe that is why they don't excite me. Of all the disposable "stuff" that many of us use every day, I don't feel watches should be disposable.

40. NeilA

NeilA Registered User

Feb 11, 2011
    Semi Retired sometimes called upon to help busines
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe not be strictly relevant but this is a wee tale about the most expensive watch I ever wore and did not know.

My elder brother insisted in giving me a Rolex Submariner which he had been given during the Falklands war, it was broken so
    had to be replaced. When he got back to the UK he had it repaired.

The normal UK military procedure was to scrap broken watches so this was due to be smashed and tossed. I genuinely did
    not want the watch but ended up wearing it for about 5-years and put it through some fairly ignominous use and pretty rough work.

One day I unexpectedly got a call from my bother's wife, an unusual occurrence itself, with a question "Had I seen the article in the paper
    about a Rolex watch that she was sure matched the watch my brother had given me", I hadn't but from her tone my heart sank.

Sorry this story is turning out longer than I thought it would be. Bear with me almost there.

It turned out the Rolex he had given me was quite rare, a military submariner 6612. When I visited my brother and had a quiet word
    with him, it was pretty obvious he was in the really deep stuff with his wife for giving me the watch. (Dragon is too kind a description) :whistle:

"Please sell it and lets split the difference" he pleaded. I really had no option since I could not afford the 50% to buy the watch and satisfy
    "Satan's Daughter".

Result and this was back in the days when you could quite a few Dollars for one £ Sterling, $90,000 and it saved my brother from purgatory.

And that is the most expenisve watch I ever wore without realising it, which in turn stimulated my interest in watch history which has been fascinating,
    (My wife says "Obsessive").

41. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Tom: I wear an Omega co-axial DeVille. It is caliber 2500. It is stainless and has a black dial and strap.

42. Fritz Katzenjammer

Fritz Katzenjammer Yeah... that Fritz....
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Manufacturing Engineer
    My garage usually... Burlington, Ont.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    most expensive?..... toss up, I'm about the same money into two watches.

1968 Omega Constellation, nice clean plain stainless on a black leather band.
    OR
    1948ish Ball 999B, gold filled railroad pocketwatch made by Hamilton.

neither one would cover the cost of a tune up on Mr.Nardin's freaky machine but they do keep really good time.

43. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For everyday wear I have my Rolex Date. Stainless on stainless with a gray stainless dial it is so unpretentious that no one really notices it.

My wife wears her 2 tone Datejust every day as well. It's a bit more fancy and stylish than mine. People notice hers all the time (Is that a real ROLEX:???:?)

I bought my watch new in 1988 because I was tired of buying a new (cheap) watch every year. At $150/yr per (cheap) watch, my Rolex has been less expensive to own and it still retains its original value.

I wear it with both suits and jeans day in and day out.

44. darrahg

darrahg Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2006
    retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I didn't open this thread for quite a while as the title semed to reflect some sort of area for bragging. I voted.

45. leckie1uk

leckie1uk Registered User

May 11, 2014
    Police Officer
    Dundee, Scotland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My work watch is a SMX Diver with a white face. Its robust, easy to read and water resistant (obviously being a divers watch) and my weekend watch is my stainless steel Rolex submariner (no date)

smx.jpeg rolex.jpeg

46. CDS

CDS Newbie

May 25, 2014
    Don't know the value of what I wear but one is a 1959 14 karat gold Hamilton that belonged to my maternal grandfather and was given to him by his company for 25 years of service (engraved on the back) and an Omega Seamaster that belonged to my paternal grandfather.

Don't know the date of the Omega but it must be 1950's as well.

47. Prodigy

Prodigy Newbie

Jun 13, 2014
    I have a TAG I wear every day 3k usd . But my pride and joy is a Bell & Ross Phantom $$$ usd

48. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Watch repair/ Watch sales
    USA
    Country Flag:
    I just bought a 1993 Tudor Submariner cas ref 79090, now my most expensive watch.

49. Chris_Dresbach

Chris_Dresbach Registered User

Aug 15, 2014
    Firefighter
    South Bend, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I almost never wear wrist watches, I'm a pocket watch kind of guy. I know that what I have are by far not the most valuable of watches, but I take a lot of pride in them. I think my best and most valuable is my South Bend 217. My runner up is probably my 1888 Columbus that's in near mint condition.

50. Accutronitis

Accutronitis Registered User

Aug 24, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For me I guess it depends how much a 1962 Bulova Accutron Astronaut M2 the first Astronaut to be made of all Stainless Steel is worth ? It's unclear if they were ever released for sale to the general public but what is known is the Air Force Bought them from bulova and gave them to all the X-15 Pilots some time in late 1961/ early 1962 and bulova even made a special one and a half foot long watch band so the X-15 pilots could wear the watch on the out side of there pressure suits.

View attachment 259606 View attachment 259608 View attachment 259609 View attachment 259610 View attachment 259611 View attachment 259607 View attachment 259612 View attachment 259613 View attachment 259614 View attachment 259615 View attachment 259616