The Modern Clock - Goodrich

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Scottie-TX, Jan 17, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Often when a particular topic arises such as for example, lock, drop, lift, run, cycloidal error, etc., I've noted David J. LaBounty, CMC FBHI refer to Goodrich and "The Modern Clock".
    I HAD to see. I HAD to read for myself. Only a hundred pages into it and I am stoked. Admittedly that's only a fifth of the book but if the book ended here, I'd feel my money well spent. I have a half dozen or more other books on practise and theory. Less than half way thru, already this is by far the best.
    One note however. This is not a beginner's book. This would not be a good first book. But after you've got several beginners' books and tore down a dozen or more movements - GET THIS book!

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Agreed Scotty.

Ward Goodrich's "The Modern Clock" was my first "reader." I still keep two copies at hand; one upstairs and one in the lab.

The book is old and much of the text was written over a hundred years ago as a column in a Jeweler's trade publication; I think it was one printed by Hazlet & Co.

Skipping through the text, it becomes obvious that the style and prose changes, depending on the original writer's style(s). The pseudo author, Ward Goodrich, is obviously an assumed name.

"The Modern Clock," "Best of Jesse Coleman" and Britten's "Dictionary and Guide" are where I first look for answers to thorny problems, nowhere else is so much written on early battery clock maintenance.

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had to get this book in order to set the strike in an ST ships bell clock that I had repaired. The book covers the movement specifically and it helped me to avoid a lot of trial and error.

Uhralt

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This was my first book also. I bought it after I restored my first clock but found it very handy when restoring my S.T. tower clock. The design for the missing pendulum came right out of Goodrich.

5. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow Sponsor NAWCC Diamond Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom:

You told me you haven't restored your S.T. tower clock yet. It's still sitting on your back porch rusting away!

Frank

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It would not be rusting if I had not restored it. It was running fine in my living room in West Virginia 34 years ago. :(