The Latest Aquisitions - Aurora Grade 10 and Waltham Crescent Street

Robert J. Moore

Aug 28, 2013
Just aquired a 18s HC Waltham 21j Crescent St. movement serial number 12042232,which I had originally intended to use for parts. I am having second thoughts. Runs good and with the exception of the winding wheels having some spotting looks pretty good too.

Second is my first OF Aurora Grade 10 serial number 101028. Post pics later.

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
Ok I'll take the bait... What do you have there that needs parts donated from a 1892 Crescent St to fix it up?

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Congrats on your recent acquisitions. The grade no. 10 Aurora is the Company's finest, either OF or Hunter. Prices seem pretty low at present, so I suspect you got yours for a good price.

Robert J. Moore

Aug 28, 2013
Greg, I consider that I got it at a decent enough price. I have 2 grade 10 hunters one of which I got for $900 the other my first one which I bought years ago was considerably cost wise. I keep satelling myself no more Auroras as I have quite a number of Grade 8 and 10 now. I'm still seeking a grade 10 with the tu-tone damaskeening pattern that's a combination of the bars and snowflakes. You posted an example a while back.

Topspin, I got the Crescent Street movement for what I consider to a good price also. It's in good shape with the exception of the winding wheels which have some pronounced corrosion. Thought it might be staining and/or dirt crud but no. First, examined then tried to scrap at it very lightly under 10x magnification; definitely corrosion. So in order to put the movement right I need to find a better pair of winding wheels from either another Waltham 18s Crescent or 845. Hence put it aside for potential parts. I've got 3 Vanguards that bits and pieces from the Crescent Street might be used for if ever the need arises. Nothing in the immediate.

Robert J. Moore

Aug 28, 2013
I need to seriously proof read before posting.

Have come by a couple of better sets of winding wheels so the Crescent Street will be restored and preserved. Vanguards will have to look elsewhere for parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chas99
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff