The key did not hit her in the head.

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Dick Feldman, Apr 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Donation Service is back after a brief absence to fix the payment service. Please give it a try! Donate
  1. Dick Feldman

Dick Feldman Registered User

Sep 1, 2000
    Colorado, usa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Dick Feldman, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    For many years, I have preached about the dangers of bad click assemblies. Most times those warnings have reached deaf ears. I feel more emphasis is placed on cleaning, oiling and adjusting clock movements rather than them being safe to operate.
    This week my wife tried to do a favor for an old lady by winding a clock that came in for repair. As soon as she put tension on the winding key the click assembly failed. The spinning key tore up her knuckle and bruised the rest of her hand. It took seven stitches to sew her knuckle back together.
    She did not get a blue thumbnail and the key did not come loose and hit her in the head. Sometimes that will happen. She was lucky?
    Asian made clocks by and large are designed with sub standard click assemblies and with oversized springs. Those are a danger to me as a repair person and to the clock owner every time they wind the clock. Some American made clocks came equipped with brass return springs which are equally as dangerous. Click assemblies with wobbling and ill fitting clicks should be remedied. Brass return springs should be replaced with ones made from spring steel.
    Once again, I would suggest EVERY spring powered clock that leaves your bench to have updated and reliable click assemblies.
    Dick

Finger #1.jpg Finger #2.jpg Finger #3.jpg

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry this happened to her. It is a warning to all.

3. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Its happened to me Twice but so far no stitches.
    YET

4. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most of the clicks I see for sale are poor quality and have those brass springs Dick mentioned. Is there a supplier that sells good quality clicks or do we have to make them? I just replaced one in a Sessions long drop that had the broken bass spring. The guy brought it in with band-aids on two fingers that were cut badly. He is a minister and I asked him what he said when it happened. He said “Praise the Lord”. LOL!!

disciple_dan likes this.
  5. disciple_dan

disciple_dan Registered User

Mar 10, 2016
    Male
    Clockmaker, General Flunky
    Apopka, Fl.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for sharing that Dick. I'm working on 3 Sessions movements now all with brass springs. I know what I'll be doing from now on.

6. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow! Good advice, Dick. Sympathies to the wifey. :emoji_head_bandage:

7. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired DDS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In any case, I always try to remember to relax the wrist before releasing the key. The one time I forget to do so is probably when a click or click spring will fail on me. Hope your wife has a full and speedy recovery with no complications.

8. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    After being whacked once and then reading the excellent advice on this forum about carefully winding a clock, I now always remind myself before inserting the key that as I wind to “make sure the click holds before letting go.” I realize that might not work for a sudden failure, but the words remind me to be careful. Wishing a speedy recovery for your wife.

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was once in a bad situation on a mantel clock. I slowly released the click and turned it, waiting for it to catch. It didn't. I held the key in place, and wrestled the clock to the floor. Then I could turn the clock around to let the spring down. Took some time .... but no cuts or bruises.

10. mauleg

mauleg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    N. Mariana Islands
    Region Flag:
    Lordy, that makes me want to get all kinds of lazy and chuck up my letdown tool into the cordless drill...

11. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Wow, hope that heals up soon.

Rob