From the NAWCC Chapter 190 Newsletter by Dave Coatsworth, November 2016... One cannot discuss the history of jewelers in the Mid-west without discussing the Jaccard family. The Jaccard history is, indeed, a somewhat confusing one, in which several different concerns existed and are often mistaken for one another. This history begins in 1829 when Louis Jaccard, a Swiss watchmaker, immigrated to the United States and settled in St. Louis. His first place of business was a little shop located on Main St., which he shared in partnership with Charles Recordon. In those days, there was considerable business in the city as St. Louis was the gateway to the West and also a major steamboat port on the Mississippi. In 1937, a significant robbery of $3,000 in goods took place, nearly wiping the business out. At this point, Charles Recordon left the business, dissolving the partnership. Louis sent for his nephew, Eugene in 1837 and, with his arrival, renamed the business Louis Jaccard & Co. In 1848, Louis retired and sold his interest in the firm to Eugene, who operated under the name E. Jaccard. In 1852, he brought in A. S. Mermod (another family member) as a partner and then in 1855 added David Constant Jaccard as a third partner. At that point, the firm became known as E. Jaccard & Co. (Note that this sequence of events is reported in numerous sources, including the Jeweler's Circular and the History of Saint Louis City and County. While the events are consistent, the dates vary somewhat. The dates given here are from the History of Saint Louis City and County.) As we see with many businesses in this era, fire was always a threat and the Jaccard business was not immune. In May of 1849, fire swept through the city of St. Louis, completely destroying the store and its contents. The partners rebuilt a beautiful store on 4th Street, between Pine and Chestnut and business continued briskly. In 1860, the firm moved to a marble building on the corner of 4th and Olive Streets. The store was then known as the 'Marble Palace'. The partnership of E. Jaccard & Co. lasted until 1864 when it was dissolved, with two businesses resulting. D. C. Jaccard & Co. was formed by D. C. Jaccard, A. S. Mermod and C. F. Mathey. A year later, Goodman King would join the firm. This firm would become Mermod, Jaccard & Co. in 1873 and then would later be incorporated as the Mermod & Jaccard Jewelry Co. The other firm created by this split was headed by Eugene Jaccard. This firm was known as E. Jaccard & Co. Eugene passed away in 1871 and his nephew, Eugene J. Cuendet, took over management of the firm, which, in 1880, would become known as the E. Jaccard Jewelry Company. At the time, the firm occupied a beautiful five-story building on the corner of Fifth and Olive Streets. Eugene Cuendet died in 1894 at which time Thomas D. Witt became president of the company. (Thomas D. Witt had previously been a partner in the Prouhet & Witt jewelry concern, which was bought out by the E. Jaccard Jewelry Company in 1872.) A third firm was founded by members of this family when Eugene G. E. Jaccard and Walter M. Jaccard, D. C. Jaccard's sons, left Mermod & Jaccard in 1888 and started their own jewelry business in Kansas City. Their store, known as the Jaccard Watch and Jewelry Company, was first located at 815 Main Street and later, 1034 Main. When Eugene retired in 1895, the company was reorganized by Walter as the Jaccard Jewelry Corporation. A third brother, Ernest A. Jaccard, would sever ties with the St. Louis company and join his brothers in Kansas City in 1902. The firm moved to 1017 Main in 1906. Walter B. Jaccard, Eugene G. E. Jaccard’s son, would later head the Kansas City firm. Fire again struck Mermod & Jaccard just before Christmas of 1897. It was said that the vaults, loaded with Christmas merchandise, took a full week to cool down enough to open. The company was, however, open for business in temporary quarters across the street the following morning. In 1901, Mermod & Jaccard bought out the E. Jaccard Jewelry Company, as well as Merrick, Walsh & Phelps. The consolidated firm's name was changed to Mermod, Jaccard & King in 1905. The firm of Mermod, Jaccard & King was itself bought out by the general merchandiser Scruggs, Vandervoort and Barney in 1917. It incorporated Mermod, Jaccard & King into its own downtown department store and later into other stores in its chain. Scruggs, Vandervoort and Barney would remain in business until financial pressures caused them to close their doors in 1969.