The Howard Catalog

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Scott Tzorfas, Apr 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Scott Tzorfas

Scott Tzorfas Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2014
  2. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Country Flag:
  3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Scott Tzorfas

Scott Tzorfas Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Thank you very much Tom and Fred!! I have already saved them into my "Watch Folder"
    Scott

5. Clint Geller

Clint Geller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2002
    I am a research physicist at a government lab
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I created the Howard Catalog, and also the Waltham Catalog and gave that intellectual property to the NAWCC as part of my work as General Chair for the 2002 NAWCC Seminar, entitled "Boston: Cradle of Industrial Watchmaking." However, Tom took control over it after the seminar and put it on his personal website. As a temporary measure, perhaps that might have been acceptable, but it is high time that catalog got moved to the NAWCC website. There have been updates which I have wanted to make, and my requests have been ignored.

6. kd8tzc

kd8tzc Registered User

Apr 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So how does one find out which model of watch they have? My Dad has his grandfathers Howard pocket watch, with a serial number of 1298025. I don't have it in my possession, or I would share a picture of it. I believe I was able to date it to about 1915. I know it is quite thin (at least I think it is) and very classy looking. It also has a beautiful stamped/embossed set of my great-grandfathers initials on the back. He was a dentist in the early 1900's and I know he liked quality things, so I'm sure this set him back a few $$ when he bought it. Anyhow, is there a way to find out more on the watch?

7. Clint Geller

Clint Geller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2002
    I am a research physicist at a government lab
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Clint Geller, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    That is a Keystone Howard serial number made by a completely different company with a similar name. You may find that information in the "E. Howard Watch Co." section of that website.

8. kd8tzc

kd8tzc Registered User

Apr 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Clint. Took a look at that sight and didn't see a page for Keystone Howard.

Isn't there a search engine where you can type in the serial number and most likely the maker and get a ton of information on that movement? I know I have seen a site like that but I can't recall the link.

9. Kent

Kent Registered User
    NAWCC Member

[main="E. Howard Watch Co."]E. Howard Watch Co.[/main] (frequently referred to as Keystone Howard) movement serial number 1298025 is probably a 12-size, 17-jewel, Open-Face, Series 7 movement. You can see a variety of cases styles and materials of these listed on pages 1, 2, and 3 of the 1918 Illustrated Catalogue - C.B. Norton Jewelry Co. listed in the "References" section of the [main="E. Howard Watch Co."]E. Howard Watch Co.[/main] Encyclopedia article.