The "Home" Function

Discussion in 'Forums Help & Notices' started by FDelGreco, Oct 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow Sponsor NAWCC Diamond Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If I am in a thread and I click "home" at the top of the page, I would expect to be taken to the top level of the MB. Instead, it takes me to the NAWCC website home page. Is it supposed to do that?

Frank

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I noticed that too...if you're doing something like viewing your conversations, you have no way of getting back to the forum except for clicking the back arrow the appropriate number of times. The breadcrumbs at the top of the page don't help at all.

Kurt

3. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Senior Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kurt,
    You can always click 'FORUMS' in the top right menu to get to the top level.

4. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Bill Stuntz, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    As Dave says, the FORUMS button takes you directly to the MB home page. I
    t's a limitation of the system... the HOME button & the logo link to the same page, and can't be separated without modifying the core of the system - which we don't want to do.

So the choices were:
    1) No 1-click access to the main NAWCC web site for NAWCC members - and they complained.
    2) The HOME button takes you to main NAWCC web site instead of the MB home page. This one seems like the lesser of 2 evils. AFAIK, this is the first complaint we've had about that.

5. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow Sponsor NAWCC Diamond Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not a complaint -- just asking if it is supposed to do that.

Frank

6. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hmmm...I don't see that function. I have along the top menu "Home Forums Media ...". Nothing under Forums lets me go back to the main MB. Maybe I'm missing something.

Kurt

7. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    IMHO, it shouldn't do that. But we're stuck with it unless we're willing to modify the core code. Which might make the upgrade to future versions of the software problematic.

8. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ignore the drop-down menu & just click the word "FORUMS" in the sticky header - it'll take you home, even if the drop-down menu appears before you can click it. I think there should be a MB HOME option IN the drop-down, but there isn't.

9. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I hate to be obtuse about this, but I can't find a single click point that takes me back to the MB if I'm viewing my conversations. Anything I click takes me back to the main NAWCC where then I have to click on forum. There is one other path which is to click the "open quick icon" in the upper right. I then click on forums and I can get back to the main MB.

I don't want to have to deal with all that, so I'll just have to "train" myself to just click the back arrow to get out of the conversation window.

Kurt

10. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    If I am reading a conversation and want to go back to the main forum page, I just click on FORUMS at the top of the page on the same line as the NAWCC logo on the left.

Click once and wait for a couple of seconds.

11. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That doesn't work for me.

Kurt

12. Markus Harris

Markus Harris Registered User

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't like the HOME button taking users off the MB site, either.

I suggest we re-link the logo and HOME button to THIS site, and add a prominent "NAWCC HOME" link somewhere in the the header.

13. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Senior Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree, Markus. Any new visitor to the message board will expect 'home' to take you to the top of the message board. We should keep that in mind.

14. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Male
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kurt I think you have an individual problem relating to the FORUMS functionality. When you hover your mouse pointer over FORUMS to the left of HOME, your pointer should change from an 'arrowhead' to a 'pointing hand' and the FORUMS text change colour. The same colour as it does when the drop down list appears. If you click on Forums when it has changed colour it should get you to the Forum home page.

To be honest, as I discovered that FORUMS was the link to the forums top level, I expected HOME to take me to the NAWCC home page. However, given that you can get there by clicking on the logo in the top left, why not just remove HOME - then there can be no confusion.
    John

15. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John -

I do get a "pointy hand" when I hover of "Forums" but it does not change color. I can see the URL for this as pointing to "https:// mb . nawcc . org" [remove the spaces] but when I click on "Forums", I get a drop down menu for a variety of options, none of which take me to the main MB page. I guess I do have a problem, but I wouldn't think it's just me. I'm running Win10 with the Edge browser. Should be many people with that combination.

Let me clarify that. When viewing any thread in the forum, the "Forums" link does not change color. If I'm in the Conversations feature of the board, then "Forums" does change color when I hover over it. But still, clicking "Forums" at that point does not take me to the main page of the MB.

Kurt

16. John Matthews

NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Male
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kurt - try a right click when you are over FORUMS on the top line and select 'open link in new tab'

John

17. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John -

That works....I get the main MB in the new tab. Is there an explanation for that? However, just hitting the back arrow is one click. Hitting the right click, clicking new tab, then I have to physically go click on the new tab, and finally shutdown the tab that has the Conversation window. Hmmm...way too many clicks. For now, back arrow seems the way to go...for me.

Kurt

18. John Matthews

NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Male
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Kurt - I have no experience of the Edge browser, but it will probably depend on the browser and pointer device (mouse/pad) settings and how they communicate.

Sorry, I don't the knowledge to help.

John

19. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just tried John's suggestion using a different computer with Win10 and the Chrome browser. His suggestion works...I can click on Forums at the top of the page and return to the main MB page. While that's interesting, I've never been a Chrome fan, so will just have to settle with my back arrow when I'm viewing my Conversations, etc.

Kurt

20. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I don't know Edge but in Win 10, IE 11, I click on Forums, get the drop-down menu, the click on Forums again to return to the MB home page. That said, I agree with Markus and Dave Coatsworth that Home should be the MB home page and that there should be a separate link to reach nawcc.org.

21. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steven -

When I do that, the Forums line at the top of the flyout window (which has Quick Links under it) is not clickable. But that's apparently not what you meant. If I click on Forums next to Home on the navigation bar, and then reclick on that same Forums link, it does work. Wow! Not really that intuitive to me. Seems like you first click on Forums and then you deal with what's in the flyout window, not click on the thing you've already clicked on!! :confused:

But that's now 2 clicks!! If I just want to get back to the main forum, a single click on the back arrow gets me there. Oh well, I just need to train myself as to what works in Xenforo...this is the only place I visit with this software.

Kurt

22. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I also dislike that the HOME button goes to the main NAWCC web site. But keep in mind that NAWCC members have been clicking the NAWCC logo at the top of the screen to go the main NAWCC web site for several years to access things that are NAWCC member-only information. We had more than one "complaint/report" (in the test MB and the newly live one) that the NAWCC logo didn't take users to the main NAWCC site "like it's supposed to." Without some custom programming, it isn't possible to have different targets for the logo and the HOME button. So without that custom programming, ONE of those links will be "wrong" for some users. I'll TRY to fix it, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do so.

My experience is that in FF, Edge, IE11, Safari and Chrome, a brief hover over the FORUMS button causes the drop-down menu to appear before you can click on it. IGNORE the drop-down menu and simply click on the word FORUMS that your mouse cursor is already hovering over, and it will take you to the MB home page. I haven't been able to duplicate the "it doesn't work" behavior in either Windows 10 or Linux, using any browser.

23. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill -

Nothing happens when I hover over FORUMS at the top of the screen. My mouse pointer changes from the arrow to the hand, but that's it. As I said, I'm Win10 and Edge browser.

Kurt

24. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suspect that it's a browser setting. My Edge displays the drop-down in less than 1 second when I hover over the FORUMS link. I CAN'T click it before the drop-down appears. When I ignore the drop-down & use that hand cursor to click the link I'm hovering over, it takes me "home"

What happens when you click this link? You may have already told me, but I'd like to confirm.
    FORUMS link.png

25. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill -

I don't know anything about browser settings...I've been using Edge for maybe a year now...haven't touched a thing with it. When I click the link you pointed to, I get the drop down menu. That menu stays there if I move my mouse around without clicking anything. If I click anywhere in open space on the page, the menu disappears.

Kurt

26. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can you click the link I pointed to a second time after you've already clicked it once to make the drop-down appear? Basically double-click the link instead of single-clicking it? If you do, does it take you home?

27. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill -

Yes, I stated previously that if I clicked again on the FORUMS link at the top of the page, it takes me "home" to the main MB. So, that works...but as I also said, that's two clicks to get "home" when hitting the back arrow is one click and does the same thing. It's a small thing, but it really shouldn't work that way IMO.

Kurt

28. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you've noticed inconsistent behavior of the HOME button and the NAWCC logo, I've spent most of the evening trying to fix it - without success.

29. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kurt, on my browsers, I can double click on the word FORUM in the top nav bar. I do not really consider double click two clicks since it is done as a single action.

If you have never checked your Edge settings they are what some engineer in Redmond thinks they should be. You might prefer different timing and actions than the default.

I am running Windows 10 also and have 4 browsers installed so I can easily check on other systems and save my context in my regular browser, which is currently Chrome. Since the last Windows 10 update, I have adware from Microsoft that pops up a message about how wonderful Edge is any time I select a different browser. I haven't checked how to disable that but I find it pretentious and annoying.

It is trivial to change the Home behavior back to what it was. It will be a bit harder to add another logo of some kind to go to the NAWCC site. This software uses JavaScript for most interactive functions, so I have been a bit reluctant to mess with the templates.

30. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I killed the Home link. It also eliminates the Home item in the Navigation Bar. I suppose we could figure out how to add NAWCC in that position to go the main site.

31. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, I FINALLY found out how to fix the problem with some help from the XF support forum. So I re-activated the HOME button which now points to the MB home page. And the NAWCC logo now links to the main NAWCC web page like it did in vB. So we should probably be using the REAL NAWCC logo instead of the modified one that indicates "Message Board." I'd rather discuss the details of exactly what I did in private.

So the HOME button and the NAWCC logo should behave exactly as they did under vB.

32. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill -

Me likey!! Thanks...

Kurt