The Hammond 'Spin to Start' mantle clock is toast - how to take apart??

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by BobGroh, Nov 4, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BobGroh

BobGroh Registered User

Apr 11, 2009
    Retired Electroncis Engineer
    Just east of Kansas City, Missouri
    Country Flag:
    I spent some time with my new Hammond electric mantle clock "Spin To Start" and the motor is indeed toast.
    HC_Front.jpg

Actually what seems to be a spring loaded clutch is toast - the little coil spring has gotten loose and is partially off the shaft and hanging in free air. Anyways it doesn't work. Drats. Now I have to figure out how to take it apart. Problem #1 is how to get the bezel and front glass off so I can remove the hands - it looks like the bezel 'snaps' over the dial plate. I can 'almost' push the edge of the bezel backwards (sort of like taking a tire off a bike rim) but not sure I'm doing it right. Any words of wisdom on that??

The next problem will be removing the back plate from the front plate so I can remove the gears, motor etc and prepare the front plate for installation of a battery operated clock module. There are 3 bosses connecting the front plate (which has the dial plate and bezel) to the rear plate -see next picture:

HC_Inside.jpg
    I would like to leave the bosses there but can't see how they connected front to back - looks like a connecting point (where the screwdriver is pointing) but it sure does not move or seperate. I could cut the boss just under the back plate edge and I guess that would work (and leave most of the boss there for remounting). Again all ideas welcome!!