The George Daniels Horological Collection

Keith H

May 18, 2004
Southampton, England
Country
Hi , I have just received my catalogue for the above sale at Sothebys in London. Unforunately I can not afford any of his watches but a great reference item. I recommend it for the quality of the content. He collected some really interesting watches. Includes a Charles Fasdolt, 23j Howard in 14ct case, Hamilton 22 and 23 amongst others.
There is a browsable version on their site if it is of interest .At the bottom of the page there is Choose a View to Launch eCatalogue in various versions.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2012/george-daniels-so-l12313/overview.html

Keith H

May 18, 2004
Southampton, England
Country
Hi Graham,
Afraid not, but I know someone who is quite keen on it. I hope to have a close look if he is successful. I like the idea of Lot 1 but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets double the estimate. I look forward to seeing one of the Breguets or Tompion when you get them!!!
Regards
Keith

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Keith,

Mmm, thought I might branch out a little and try for one of the Knibbs . . .

Regards,

Graham

RON in PA

NAWCC Member
May 18, 2005
S.E. PA
Country
Region
Well Daniels did have some good taste, there are two Hamilton model 21 chronometers in the collection.

I wonder how much the prices are inflated just because they came from Daniels' collection.

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
He surely collected some FANTASTIC pieces.
Thanks for the link

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
Some big prices paid. Apparantly far surpassed the the pre-sale estimates on most lots.

1,329,250 GBP for the Space Traveller's Watch!
Now, why does that not surprise me?

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Some big prices paid. Apparantly far surpassed the the pre-sale estimates on most lots.

1,329,250 GBP for the Space Traveller's Watch!
That is exactly the right price.

That is because someone was willing to pay it, and someone else was willing to pay a little less. There is nothing more certain in today's world than that in the future someone will be willing to pay more ;) Pieces made by George Daniels are now finite, and they can now be classified as works of craftsmanship and art. They will follow the rules of that market, not the market in pocket watches.

Skinner

Aug 10, 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland
Region
I agree completely Martin. These items are no longer simply high quality watches, they are named pieces of art.

I only wish I knew who will be the next George Daniels. Any ideas?:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kelly H
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller