• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

The Fibonacci Spiral Clock

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
A friend sent me this photograph. I don't know anything more about this sort of clock, but it certainly makes a great deal of sense. Has anyone encountered such a device?

Mark Kinsler
fibonacci spiral clock.png

TooManyClocks

NAWCC Member
Feb 6, 2019
Country
A friend sent me this photograph. I don't know anything more about this sort of clock, but it certainly makes a great deal of sense. Has anyone encountered such a device?

Mark Kinsler
View attachment 659307
Never seen anything like it, which apparently means absolutely nothing as a google search brings back several hits, with most of the sites selling them. The concept is really intriguing to me though, but my wife would say it doesn’t take much to keep me occupied for hours anyway.

I really like the simplicity of the idea

John

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Simplicity is in the mind of the beholder. Looks complicated to me (in the reading, not in the working). How the heck do you tell what time it is with it?

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
almost 7:15

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The larger line lies over each of the hours as it turns once in a 12 hour period. The short hand displays the minutes, I suspect but you read it without any indicators from its position.

When the tip of the spiral passes the 6 on the upper scale the inner curve approaches the 7 on the lower scale and the hour counting continues down there.

At least that is what I infer from seeing it.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
almost 7:15
I think the time displayed is 2:40 with the spiral moving between 2 and 3 and the minute indicator at about 40 minutes.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
2 hands, short straight one is hours. The spiral is minutes. My guess

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
hmmm, could be either as cant tell which hand on top. But it has typical quarts movement.

Na, top short hand shows shadow on center spiral hub when image zoomed. Typical quartz put hour closer to dial.

You right.

Last edited:

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Now i wonder, could 3 spiral hands work. Seconds, minutes, hours. Different colors. Wonder what a backwards spiral would do.

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
The spiral "hand" is the hours, and the regular straight hand is the minutes. There are no "numbers" for the minute hand, so you estimate based upon position. The spiral hour "hand" rotates once every 12 hours. Although, at least for me, it's unintuitive to visualize it, the inner coil of the spiral arm won't reach the "7" curved line until the outermost part of the hand is past the "6"... it all lines up.

Here's a link to 3D printable version, which also contains a link to a youtube video showing it in action... Tom is correct; the clock shown in the OP is showing approximately 2:40.

Printable Fibonacci Spiral Clock

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
now that'd be some real old school right there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inlikeflynn
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-