The Evolution

marylander

Sep 9, 2008
Maryland
Country
Region
Hello,
I acquired this French stature clock some months ago. The sculpture was signed by Waagen. I did a research on line and found out the clock has a story behind.

It all began with a oil painting by a French painter Jean-Francois Millet 1859.
The Angelus (L'Angelus) is an oil painting by French painter Jean-François Millet, completed in 1859.
The painting depicts two peasants bowing in a field over a basket of potatoes to say a prayer, the Angelus, that together with the ringing of the bell from the church on the horizon marks the end of a day's work.

Then the French Sculptor Auther Waagen based on this painting to created the sculpture L'Angelus in mid 1800.

Then an French clock artist made it into the clock for a Belgen organization.
If you have any information about this clock, please let me know. I will very appreciate.
Ming

Attachments

marylander

Sep 9, 2008
Maryland
Country
Region
Can we see photos of the movement please?

JTD
JTD, Sorry, I do not have the photo with me at the moment. I will take some photos when I can. The movement has a medallie with a five points start at the center. It is either a bronze or silver medal. The movement has a count wheel at the back.
Ming

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
An unusually large statue for the size of the case. That mark is quite a common one on French pendule de Paris movements though afaik little is known about Mougin other than he was based in Herimoncourt and was associated with Japy, Marti and Roux (also based in the Franche Comte region) in promoting and selling their goods through a Parisian depot. He was making clocks in the latter part of the 19th and early 20th centuries.

marylander

Sep 9, 2008
Maryland
Country
Region
An unusually large statue for the size of the case. That mark is quite a common one on French pendule de Paris movements though afaik little is known about Mougin other than he was based in Herimoncourt and was associated with Japy, Marti and Roux (also based in the Franche Comte region) in promoting and selling their goods through a Parisian depot. He was making clocks in the latter part of the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Thank you very much Jonathan for your info about the clock movement maker. Your info tells about the approximate time of the clock. The statue is tall, about 24.5" and the complete clock is 33.0". It is 17" wide and 10" deep. It is very heavy. When I look at the real clock, the proportion is just fine, if take the heavy weight into acount. You can see from this new front view photo.
Ming

Attachments

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Wow, that IS a big one! Nice!!

marylander

Sep 9, 2008
Maryland
Country
Region
One more photo.
Ming
The name on the dial is likely xxxxx Magasins du Centre. Translated in to English is : xxxxx Store Center. Unforturnately the first word is missing. Looks like that the clock was made for a shopping center or a Jewelry store center in Brusselles, Belgian. The very first letter Looks like Q. Hope any French speaking member or Belgian member can help.
Ming

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luc1lle160
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller