The English Watch 1585 - 1970 Terence Camerer Cuss

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Tom McIntyre, Dec 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This book was published 8 years ago and I wanted a copy at the time, but it seemed to be very expensive at the time.

I recently saw it on Amazon at a reduced price and actually found a copy from a bookseller for less than the new general asking price. It appears that it is now in the "remaindered" category.

It has been my experience in the past that when a book like this goes remaindered, the price drops dramatically but then recovers a substantial part of the difference.

Terence has been thinking about the contents of this book most of his life and it was his father's passion before him.

He has created a very fine work that divides all of English watchmaking into six periods and focuses on what distinguishes each of those periods. This is not really a coffee table book, although it does have some marvelous pictures in it. It's great strength is that it goes into some depth on each of the pieces presented as being representative of each period.

I am not likely to ever own any examples from the earliest period, but I do think they are wonderful cultural artifacts. The sixth period is defined from 1825 to 1970 (Daniels). That is also the period of my greatest interest although I do love the watches from the fifth period (1775 - 1825) and have been able to acquire a few of those and and at least one watch from the fourth period. The book devotes 197 (of 503) pages to the fifth and sixth periods. I was particularly interested in Terence's insights into the 6 examples he shows of the work of Barrauds and Barraud and Lunds.

I cannot recommend this book enough.

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Tom,

I recently bought a copy myself, having, like you, been put off by the originally high price, and I can certainly endorse your recommendation. It's definitely more than just a coffee table production, and although it doesn't go into the technical detail of each movement in the depth of, say, Jonathan Betts' chronometer opus, (how stout a table would a book like that demand?), it's well worth reading for anyone with an interest in English watches. I particularly like the concept he uses of the progression through the different periods.

Regards,

Graham

3. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a copy of the 1996 reprint of the 1976 edition of "The Camerer Cuss Book of Antique Watches" which includes very good, concise information. Could you tell me the high level differences between the 2008 book referenced and the one I have? I'm trying to decide if it would behoove me to keep an eye out for the 2008 book. Thanks!

Pat

4. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member