The dreamer in me lives on!

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Oct 26, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Re: A little of this, some of that!

For a week or more I had a thought to visit the gold buyer store a few blocks from my home. Usually, I sell my gold scrap to a New York company I have dealt with for some years, and found them very reliable in their pricing. I had 7.7 dwt 14k scrap. The New York price today was $36.29 per dwt. And, they send Fed Express to pick up your scrap and receipt it.

Going into this neighborhood store , telling the man what I had, his price was $20.00 per dwt. Needless to say, after thanking him for his time, I walked out. It brings to mind every so often you will see a full page newspaper advertisement buying gold, diamonds, pearls, etc. It makes me wonder...what unknowing people sell their valuables to these set ups and how much they get and possibly are ripped off in the transaction. In looking at what I was just offered, a little more than half the gold value,
    it brings great doubt to mind about getting fair value for your valuables. Of course, I know these buyers have upkeep...but the price offered is far too out of line.

Attending Chapter 1 meeting this coming Sunday, I am sure the gold will be sold, even throwing in an "O" size pretty Longine that could be worn on a chain. The hairspring needs adjusting.

2. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario

Those type of store prey on those who are in financial need. Same with those cash for cheque stores.

Fortunately you didn't have to sell right away and could wait.

3. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Re: A little of this, some of that! An open letter to all NAWCC Officials

Sunday, September 15[SUP]th[/SUP], I attended the Chapter 1 meeting in Fort Washington, PA at the Holiday Inn. From my home in Philadelphia, it was an easy drive. Much better than Oaks, PA...with less twists and turns and easier access than Oaks. where formerly, we held our meetings.

After previously writing our Chapter 1 Officers a letter, as a handicapped person with a bone-on-bone knee, I could not carry any horological material to the meetingand needed a helper. My helper had attended two (allowable) previous meetings and becoming a member was a necessity, thereafter. The rule or bylaw was suspended, my helper...while not able to conduct any horologic business...permitted me to attend these meetings going into my 49[SUP]th[/SUP] year as a Chapter 1 member. The wisdom of the Chapter 1 officers prevailed. Would any NAWCC member be happy if you were denied a helper to attend these meeting after almost 49 years of service in which you led an exemplary life and gave much to the cause of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors?

Were it not for me, there would be no Founders Plaque (52 Founder members), no 50-Year Plaques denoting NAWCC members and their better than half a lifetime membership (187 or more). There would be no Members News and Views Forum with over 200,000 hits to date...October 26[SUP]th[/SUP] makes three (3) years. There would be no NAWCC Calendars sold to our NAWCC membership going into our sixth (6) year with all collected monies going directly to the NAWCC funding. We hope to make up to 1000 sales before this current year runs out. And, last but not least, I am a member of the NAWCC 1943 Heritage Society. Of our 187,000 NAWCC membership only about 50-51 members have bought annuities from this venture. We may have about 21 current members...half or thereabouts of their investment will remain with the NAWCC after the member deceases.

All in the above paragraph is brought out not to show what I have done as an NAWCC member...but in appreciation of becoming a long-time member of this Association and all it has afforded me in my many years as a hobby. I met so many fine men and women who are no longer here, but memories of them are part of my existence. I have experienced so much about the historical and horological aspect of telling time from the stars to the creation of timekeeping by the sun dial and clepsydra and inventions of the pendulum and mainspring by man in his effort to record the time of day.

Being a member of this worldwide horological hobby organization these many years, certainly has contributed to my health and outlook on life; as a true aficionado your mind is kept busy learning all you can. In that, it teaches you much about history, and mankind and his efforts to mark the time of day; his desire to create masterpieces of horological beauty and complications, far beyond the mere telling of time. Today, we even have a wristwatch that will denote latitude and longitude; A far cry from the Harrison invention, so many years past.

Finally, I am grateful for the memory of Frankie Weiss, a feline, a cat, who was part of my life for over thirteen (13) years and who held NAWCC membership card #167825; the only non-human to ever be part of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. Frankie Weiss is the avatar you will see on anything posted by me on the NAWCC Message Board and on my personal letterhead.

4. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: A little of this, some of that! An open letter to all NAWCC Officials

Dan I appreciate your standing as along time member of the NAWCC. However I would hope that our association and the various chapters would try their best to accommodate persons with disabilities, regards of years of tenure, which includes allowing a helper for free. By the same token I would hope that all members with helpers would appreciate the accommodations by respecting any guidelines associated with helpers.

5. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #755 dweiss17, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2018

Anyone needing a smile...this will do it for you!
    Havea smile.pdf

Attached Files:

6. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Maybe two three years ago my computer crashed. I lost a lot of saved material. looking through some undated discs I copied stuff onto them...I found this photo of my beautiful Johnnie II. I know it to be some years old because my computer setup was different than what is pictured here, possibly before the era of my Epson C120 and Workforce 30 printers. It looks like I had an incandescent bulb in the lamp.

Here's Johnnie II 180938.jpg

7. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
  8. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

One day this week, I started putting together a two page piece in which I described my participation in two former NAWCC Chapters. In a good sense, it was historical and gave an unbiased view of my dealings with these Chapters. While it mentioned no names, one could easily discern about whom I was referring to and the Chapters they were part of. I was hesitant to post it on this venue.

Sending a copy to the person overlooking posting on the Member News and Views, I can now understand his pointing directly to the rules forbidding any and all mention in regards to former unworthy happenings in our National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

As one of the number of NAWCC members responsible for keeping the merits of our organization up to par, I received his email...while our rules forbids such posting, he did enjoy reading it. The historical portion was brought up to date, and offered no ill will to anyone implicated in this trial balloon of written prose.

As I have said in the past, “Writing yourself a letter in regards to your personal thoughts, reading it and then tearing it up; helps release emotions.” Much better than sitting on a chair or couch and telling your story to a psychiatrist...it is much cheaper than paying him/her to listen to your tale of woe. And, a catharsis takes place.

9. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Did you ever watch TV for a period of time, say, “Two to three hours?” Did you ever notice the amount of commercials that deal strictly with medicines and your health?

By far, the overwhelming majority of commercials relating to the above subjects are part of the daily fare presented on our TV networks. To some viewers, it may seem if you are sick, these constant reminders will only accelerate the problem.

The person inventing some gadget that will eliminate commercials during a TV show he/she is watching...tends to become as rich as a Croesus or even a King Midas. In any event...filthy rich!

10. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #760 dweiss17, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

Yesterday, October 1, 2013...the Dermatologist removed from my nose what he called a basal cell carcinoma...this sort of a cancerous cell is exceedingly common among people who are fortunate to reach a ripe old age. Freezing that portion of my left nostril, it presented no pain or problem at all. The good doctor called later that evening to inquire how I felt. My answer was fine. I felt no pain even after the freezing agent had lost its effectiveness. Jokingly, I asked him..."Now will I live to see 100 years of life, his reply, I offer no guarantees. My thought, living to near 98 years of life, about 2 years and 2-1/2 months more of life should be a breeze.

This morning, I was sound asleep shortly after 8:00 AM, my sister called to as to how I feel. Happy she called, unhappy she woke me from a good sound sleep.

It makes me wonder...I have had no answers when previously I had asked..."Has any NAWCC member lived to be a centenarian?

The answer might be no! I have every intention of being number one, from such things dreams can come true.

BTW: The 20th of this month, I am attending a 100th Birthday shindig for a lady who will reach that supreme age. I imagine she'll get Birthday greetings from one of Obama's people who handle those things.

11. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

TALK ABOUT AGE!

October 20, 2013...I will be attended a party for a lady 100 years old.

November 24, 2013...(Birthday the 23rd)...I will be attending a party for my sister, 95 years of age.

December 11, 2013...I will be 98 years young...hope to throw a Shindig...we'll see.

12. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Today is October 7, 2013 and I am about ready to throw in the sponge!

I do not enjoy posting and and talking to myself. Of course. I never have too much say, except the the dribble that emanates from my stupid brain.

The replies are few and disheartening. I know people read these posts...over 200,000 hits in near to 3 years, but few reply; not too good for my ego.

On October 26, 1013...3 years after the start of this Forum...I may list what it has accomplished and wrap it up with what the NAWCC has done for
    all my 49 years that started this month when I first registered as a member of he National Association of Watch and Collectors.

With much hope I make it to my 50th Anniversary as a member of the NAWCC.

13. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Do we have any savvy computer guys or gals our there in etherland?

I am desirious of replacing my OLD computer tower (desk computer) my 19" screen is great...just need a more modern tower.

How do I save some of the stuff I have on there now?

I need one that will allow me to use my old floppy disks, Kodak cameras and a Nikon D40 camera hook up.

Any advice?

14. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

You may have to save your current floppys onto cds or dvds and then load onto the new computer, floppys are so old I don't think too many new computers supply devices for them. My current Dell tower, which is 8 years old, has a floppy port but a lot of times, it can't read the information because it is so old school.

15. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Just received the new computer tower, had to make a test with it...no better than Johnnie II to test with.

More than a week without a workable computer. 183615.jpg

16. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Did you ever do a good deed without taking credit unanimously?

I did such a deed November 4, 2013, sending Ralph Warner of Ohio a Certificate honoring his over 50 years as an NAWCC member and on his 100[SUP]th[/SUP] Birthday, Ralph is from Ohio and I got the address from Markus Harris.

Doubting we ever had a member live to the centenarian milestone, I created a Certificate honoring Ralph Warner for his more than 50 years as an NAWCC member and his mortal life span of reaching his 100[SUP]th[/SUP] Birthday.

Having no idea of Ralph’s health or ability to receive and to write emails or thank you notes; to this date I have not received a reply. The least I expected was a brief thank you, either from Ralph or those taking care of him. That being said, I have no regrets.

Earlier, posting the Certificate on this board, no follow up replies were received, I did expect a member or two or three to join in with a note to Ralph’s longevity and his many years as a member and as a Fellow of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

It would have been nice if a few of the movers and shakers of this great Horological enterprise would have joined in with me and wishing him well. I have no idea, if privately; Ralph received a note from anyone else.

Unable to find any results of an NAWCC member reaching 100 years of life, I again submit the Certificate pictured below: 184343.jpg

17. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Yeah, nice gesture, and I'm sure many share the sentiment. I hope he got it, and still has the mental capacity to appreciate it :)

18. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Still no reply from Ralph Warner and possible care givers.

I suppose it will be a nice gesture turned into a lost cause. Some months ago, I inquired as to his Chapter affiliation, Markus Harris could find none.

This is not a complaint...just a thought into a life 100 years old and more as the days go by.

The world I live in at my present age is alive with what I read in the newspapers, see on the Television and rather frustrating that we do not have
    more replies from our NAWCC membership on the Message Board. Like me, we have quite a few 1000's of retirees what do they do all day to keep
    busy? Me...I still think and dream of things to do and look forward to a future that will be better for all humans.

Give yourself a lift, call an old friend, write a letter of cheer to someone that needs it, Tell your pet cat or dog...they help make the world better for you. They may not understand your words...but they know the love you give to them and the love they give back to you. It is priceless.

19. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

‘Tis not fit outside for man or beast.

Sitting in the Captain’s chair, I have a clear view of the outside through the picture window. About 10 feet away, I see the snow coming down; so far we may have two to three inches covering our pavements and lawns. More snow flakes to come and add to the total snowfall.

My next door neighbor’s tree is in full view, it amazes me, I see birds no larger than two-three inches fluttering in and out of its leafy branches. I suppose looking for food to either feed their offspring or to feed themselves.

Amazing…these birds so small, so tiny, fluttering around in weather cold enough to chill the bone of man, unless you are well covered in layers of clothing. Yet, these tiny creatures of nature can do and do exist in all kinds of weather. Often, we take too many things for granted. Nature works its miracles and does what is best for its inhabitants. Giving these tiny birds the covering they need…is one of natures good gifts. 188077.jpg

20. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #770 dweiss17, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2018

My good friend Maynard Dean of Louisiana and an NAWCC member sent me a 98th Birthday Card

(attached( 188090.jpg

21. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Having passed my 98th birthday, today, I sit here befuddled about a future NAWCC Calendar. I notice we have 19/20 California Chapters on our NAWCC listing. Would not a calendar with one Horologic item, watch, clock, or ephemera from each Chapter be a worthwhile project?

My main computer in the bedroom lost its internet and email...waiting for the computer GURU to come over about late afternoon to resolve the problem...looks like my device manager lost the internet controller and I know squat from such repairs that has to be done through the keyboard.

Primer on how to go broke...making the NAWCC Calendars does cost a little money if you sell enough of them. Which I always hope to do. A few days ago I received a check from someone in Utah who ordered a 2014 NAWCC Calendar, It was sent, postage cost $1.72, plus going to the post office to mail it, time, wear and tear on my car, plus gasoline. Now, it will cost me 46c to mail the $10.00 check to Headquarters, printing an envelope and mailing it. So far the past year, I know the NAWCC funding was enriched by over $700.00 through calendar sales. I still have some 2013 and 2014 Calendars on hand...both for sale at $15.00 sent to your address. Just mail to me with check made to NAWCC Inc. You can find the Order Blank on top of the Member News and Views Forum. BOTH CALENDARS FEATURE RARE WATCHES AND CLOCKS.

22. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #772 dweiss17, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2018

From a story in past years.
    Frankie and Teddy.pdf

Attached Files:

23. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

In the above thread I speak about Frankie Weiss and her enjoyment in playing with the plush bear she found while exploring her new home. In fact, the bear was featured as the cover of a Calendar I made years ago, with many of the photos of Frankie Weiss and the first Johnnie.

I never disposed of the bear...just as Frankie Weiss and Johnnie I are in my heart, so is the bear that was Frankie Weisses favorite toy. 191713.jpg

24. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

At the present time, we have no report on a possible 2015 NAWCC Calendar. While we have a few irons in the fire, nothing definite has been established. On another front, for a Calendar at a later date, we have finished the cover and inside page…of a clock story that at this time is being written by its author. This however, may not be completed in time and peer reviewed before publishing (possibly in three parts) in the Bulletin. We cannot put its parts in place in a Calendar until the story has been written and published.

Our 2014 NAWCC Calendar with the generous help of Chapter 190 of Ventura, CA…has raised over $700.00 in sales during the year 2013; all sales from that Calendar went to help fund our NAWCC. While we still hope to have an NAWCC Calendar for the year 2015…the prospects look fairly good, however, only time will tell.

25. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Still, we have no firm commitment on creating a 2015 NAWCC Calendar that tends to help fund the NAWCC. We are now into the month of February and on the Northeast Coast of the USA...we have broken many records with snowfall up and down the Eastern Coast.

Hopefully, we have had our fill of these storms that caused electric outages and brought many areas to havoc and misery and forced cold, with unpleasant nights and days for its many inhabitants. An urban area like Philadelphia has seen much too much misery caused by these snowfalls and ice on the streets and roads. This year marks our 5th greatest recorded snowfall in Philadelphia's long history. Can you imagine what this cost many businesses that rely on foot, rail, automobile and airplane traffic for their daily income? The automobile collision business is sure to enjoy a boom season and insurance automobile rates for many are likely to go up.

26. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

While we have wonderful artistic pictures painted by humans who wielded the paint brush, and created examples of remarkable eye appealing paintings that hang in Museums across our world…nothing painted by these geniuses, can ever compare with the works of nature and its creations. Below, are featured some of nature’s handiwork. 198142.jpg 198143.jpg 198144.jpg 198145.jpg 198146.jpg 198147.jpg 198148.jpg 198149.jpg 198150.jpg 198151.jpg

27. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

A bear holding on to a dog! Wonder what he has on his mind? :)

28. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

I could write about my lack of attention to the NAWCC Member News and Views for almost the past month, but I will not. I can write a story about my childhood. How I grew up to adulthood and was still a person who stuttered, but I will not. I could write about my two marriages (the first was bigamous), but I will not. I could write about my career in the Graphic Arts and how I was passed over for advancement, because I stuttered, but I will not. I could write about Stuttering Awareness Week that came from my brain, and signed into law by President Reagan in 1988, but I will not. I could write about how I discovered horology in the early 1960s, but I will not. I could write about what a wonderful boon horology was to my life, even during my second and wonderful marriage, but I will not. I could write about the many fine and gracious people I met through this thing we call horology, but I will not. I could write about my adoption of felines (cats) after my wife passed away, but I will not. I could write about the start of the Members News and Views Forum, but I will not. I could write about the success this Forum is, but I will not. I could write about the advent of the NAWCC Horologic Calendars and the money that went from its sales to help fund our constant NAWCC need for money, but I will not. I could write a story about The Daily Mews cat 2015 Calendar which is now being produced through a request by a gracious lady in Kent, England and how much I enjoy putting it together featuring cat (felines) from all over the world. I could write a story about the 2015 NAWCC Calendar featuring Shelf Clocks in the National Museum at Columbia PA, and already have an advance sale of $250.00 and much more to come, but I will not.

Instead, I am delighted to write about and (perhaps) be the second oldest member in the National Association of Watches and Clocks, nearing 99 years of age, and still be lucid in my writings and thoughts. (A self-absorbed fact…few people can say.)

29. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

I know what I say here about the cats (felines) in my life will not get too much traction on this forum. Even though this forum Member News and Views was created especially for our thoughts other than horologic; that does not disturb me too much. We have many horologic members who include their pets, dogs or cats as a family member. They may or may not read this posting. And they may or may not post a reply. So what? All that really matters is that I express my thoughts about this treasure trove of floppies in a box, I opened earlier today.

It brings back many memories that lay dormant for years and in looking at them today…it does me good to go back and read what I wrote many years ago. I did not realize how full a life I had in the world of horology, and in living with these felines not only was it a lesson on how much I was needed by them and how much I needed them in my life, after my wife passed away. It was an adjunct to a serious hobby that had engulfed much of my time…it taught me to still need a living being in my life and home.

Today, when I opened this treasure trove, I went back years into my life, and I realized as a human we are forgetful of many things that happen as we live our years on this earth. Just reading these floppies, Frankie Weiss and the first Johnnie were alive again and bringing much joy into my life with their feline antics and their joy in seeking me out to pet them and hold them on my lap and to tell them ‘I love you.’ Having the love of a dog or cat can do wonders for your well being and make you feel you are profusely needed by another living being.

Just as the old photographs we treasure of our past families and our loved ones; these computer floppies recall so much of my early years with my cats; starting when I let them out of the pet carrier December 4, 1997.

30. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Floppies, Dan? I didn't know anyone still used them or could even get a computer to access them any more! You really need to transfer those memories to a more modern medium, like DVD's or a thumb drive. Otherwise I fear they will be lost forever! That would be a shame. :)

31. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Shutterbug:

Since I posted my thoughts about FLOPPIES yesterday, of 99 hits your's was the only reply.

Were my post to contain some gossip about a well-known person, I think we'd have a helluva lot more replies.

Sometimes I think why post anything...unless it hits home to people...you are just posting dribble, so it seems.

32. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Well, people are at least reading it, Dan :) They might not have anything to add that hasn't already been said, but you're reaching someone. Could be they just never learned to type, and the one finger pecking is too much trouble :D

33. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Dan I also think that your response rate is quite typical. If you look at other forums there are dozens and hundreds of views but only a handful choose to participate in the thread. So I wouldn't take any of this too negatively. Sometimes when I read your posts it is sort of like reading the newspaper, interesting, but I am not going to write a letter to the editor regarding it.

Quite frequently you just post your thoughts or experiences. Perhaps you may get more responses if you ask more open ended questions if it is a dialogue that you are after.

All I can say is continue to post. Based on the number of views people are reading them.

All the best

David

34. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Senior Administrator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Bloggers do what they do because 1) they enjoy writing and 2) they have a following who enjoy reading what they write. (Well, OK, many bloggers write whether they have a following, or not!) Dan, I believe you enjoy writing. You clearly have a following who enjoy reading what you write, as evidenced by the hit count on your postings. Anything more is just icing on the cake. Responses are few and far between in most blogs. Don't expect them, but appreciate them when you do get them.

Just keep writing, Dan, as long as you enjoy it. We will continue to read with interest.

35. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

36. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Frankly, in writing about the box of floppies (computer discs) I opened yesterday and in reading the postings that followed my thoughts about the floppies, I am quite humbled. I am not a writer, I have no formal education, I have no grade school diploma, I am not what you even might call a good horologist. Again, I have no education on this subject except what I was able to garner in my near-to 49 years of NAWCC membership.

I am a person who despite certain handicaps was able to have President Reagan sign into law a Proclamation noting the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] week of every calendar May…Stuttering Awareness Week. As many of my fellow NAWCC members may know…I am a person who stutters. In other words I have an oral handicap…speaking fluently, I could not stand before a room of people and give a speech…no matter the subject. I wish I could.

This handicap interfered with my life in so many ways…here is one of them…I was laughed out of public school in the 8A class, I froze in answering the teacher’s question…the entire class 42 kids, and a (teacher who knew no better), started giggling and laughing, I was told to sit down. Can you imagine the humiliation I suffered that fateful day….it changed my entire life. I got working papers, never went back to school; got a job as an errand boy for a print shop.

From that day forward, I never looked back; the Graphic Arts became m life’s work. In the early 1960’s I was introduced to horology and to Fred Breitinger, a 50-year member of the NAWCC and Virtual Plaques member #171. I am now into my 49[SUP]th[/SUP] year as a member of the NAWCC and hope to see my name join those on the Virtual Plaques.

Besides being a member for all these years, I introduced the Members News and Views Forum…where we could write and post about anything in civil tones outside of horology. The number of threads and hits attest to its overwhelming success. The Virtual Plaques, with the help of Maynard Dean and Frank DelGreco became a reality for the past three year through my efforts to honor our 50-year members in a way that will prove more significant than just giving them a Certificate denoting the 50-year membership. This way every NAWCC member can see the formidable list of our 187 Virtual Plaque members.

For the past 6-7 years the NAWCC yearly Calendar of watches and clocks in our members possessions were graciously shown on these calendars…as were some of the watches and clocks in our National Museum. All monies from sales of these yearly calendars help fund our National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

37. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #787 dweiss17, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

The Awards and Honors Forum has been updated today to include 31 new NAWCC members to the Virtual Plaques for 50-year NAWCC Membership.

We now have 218 50-year NAWCC members.

Hopefully next year, I too, will become a member of that august group.

I wish to personally thank Maynard Dean for his computer expertise in making this dream come true.

Dan Weiss NAWCC #8331

38. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #788 dweiss17, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

Just having my main computer refurbished, I came across this picture of a cat who was more precious to me than any watch or clock I was ever fortunate to own. Frankie Weiss is the only non-human to ever hold membership in the NAWCC. 208786.jpg

39. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Pretty cool achievement, Dan! :) My father-in-law just lost his 20 year companion 'Princess'. Just not replaceable!

40. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Yes Dan that is quite a acomplishment. I know how you felt in school when you were humiliated for your stuttering problem. I read most things you write. many people are lurkers as well and only read, they rarely if ever post on this mb.

41. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Here's the photo of Johnnie II...I am most proud of.

She was sitting on my lap and I held the camera (blindly) above my head and snapped a number of photos. They were all failures, except for this one. While it does not show her beauty off to her best advantage...imagine a cat looking into your face with her eyes wide open and full of the love for who you are and the relationship between cat and human.

No words I put down on paper can ever take place of this photo that shows her on my lap, the keyboard to the right, my nose and the top of my head just above her magnificent face and her eyes lovingly looking into the eyes of her Mr. Mom. 160999.jpg

42. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Is there anything more trusting than this beautiful picture of an animal (a cat) sound asleep on her keepers watchcase? 210162.jpg

43. Missy

Missy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2004
    Female
    Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, that is so sweet. It's like she knows that case is important to you and she is guarding it for you.

Cat lover too,
    Missy

44. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One thing all cats are great at is sleeping! :) I heard recently that all calico colored cats are female. I'm not sure about the why.

45. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Shutterbug: It's a fact of nature. Only about one in three thousand Calico cats turns out to be MALE. And more than likely it will be sterile. Not able to produce the seed necessary to impregnate a female cat.

A calico cat can come from any mating of various felines. Many beautiful cats have been conceived from these matings. Johnnie II is part Maine Coon, tabby and who knows what? Frankie Weiss was part tortoiseshell and :???::???: Johnnie#1 was from a tabby mating.

46. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #796 dweiss17, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017

Soon I will have reached my 99[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday. A sure sign that as Shutterbug's mother said it so well…"The days are getting longer and the years shorter."

I have been impatiently waiting for 8:30 PM tonight…the Philadelphia Eagles football game starts at that time. I do not care for basketball and ice hockey, Baseball, while a slow game draws my interest…as young kid, I was able to see many of the Philadelphia Athletics ball games for free…The Post Printing Shop across the street from where I lived did the poster printing for George Brandt, manager of the Lancaster Red Roses, was also gate keeper of the Press Box at 21[SUP]st[/SUP] & Lehigh Avenue; the home of Shibe Park the Athletics home field. Mr. Brandt knew me as errand boy for the printing company and I had carte blanche to the ball games played there. You name any of the great ball players of the late 20s and early 30s…I saw them all. I most loved Jimmie Foxx; he always cut off his blouse sleeves to show his muscular biceps. Jimmie was a prolific home run hitter. Connie Mack always wore a suit, shirt and tie with hat, and directed the baseball team from the bench.

Back to my soon to be birthday…I have one sister left out of nine kids, three nephews and one niece I keep in touch with…also, I have two nephews and a niece whom I have not seen in decades. I do not plan a birthday party. I am fairly sure of reaching the century mark even with my bum knees…I plan on holding a 100[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday Shindig inviting what is left of my family and friends…one NAWCC friend even wants to attend and he lives in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

I imagine the genes I inherited at birth have played a large part in my longevity. I have no special diet formula; although for longer than I can remember, a banana in the evening and a daily drink of diet Ginger Ale, ice, flavored with about an ounce of Scotch has been an afternoon habit. I imagine as we age, we lose a little of our height, I am no longer 5'-8-1/2" inches tall. Today, I maybe 5'-6" tall, perhaps carry about 8 pounds too much weight. Still have a lot of white, slightly wavy hair, with a wrinkle free face. Wish I were a writer with a good vocabulary…I have so many stories to tell.

Will post a photo December 11[SUP]th[/SUP]…me, wearing a red sweater and holding Johnnie II, my home companion…the photo lies a little bit…it presents me better looking than I am and does not do justice to Johnnie II's beauty.

47. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #797 dweiss17, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017

I post and get very few answers. I do not like talking to myself…I might decide to give my time, my thoughts, my 99 year old energy a long rest and stop posting for a while . When you reach my age…the trees have lost their bloom, the flowers you once loved to grow from seed is no longer a passion, the days are getting darker much earlier and the cold of fall and winter pervades your aged bones. You live alone with a cat who loves you and you love her. You are alone, but are not alone, you have a four footed animal who needs you…just as much as you need the comfort of this loving animal.

The kid in you has grown up, your family is all but gone, your aunts, your uncles, all your cousins are gone…your siblings are all gone; all seven brothers (but one sister) are gone. You have nephews and nieces, but they are scattered across the country and have health problems of their own. You have great and great nephews and nieces you never met. The friends you made during your long lifetime are all gone; all but a few friends made in quite recent years know who you are. Your real passions in mechanical adventures are passé; the computer has become you main source of entertainment, if you exclude the TV. One friend calls you a couple times a month, sometimes intermittently, you enjoy his chats, and you speak about various subjects including the NAWCC. He cares about me and how I am doing at this advanced age, I could be the second oldest living NAWCC member, if number one has not passed. If alive, I'm afraid he's in his dotage. Last November (a year ago) I sent him a beautiful certificate honoring his 100[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday, I never received an answer.

You may think me a bitter old man, a humbug…far from it. I still communicate with friends who I have never seen [across the seas and in the USA]…I just finished printing some thirty-odd Holiday Greetings and envelopes to match…to those left who are family blood members, to cat friends, and to my cherished NAWCC Chapter members and friends. I still have years ahead of me…let me tell you why…to start with…I believe there is always a tomorrow…yesterday is concrete proof of that proposition…I had my half yearly Doctor check up, the results were overwhelmingly good for this soon to be 99 year old man in 28 days, with bum knees that has lost the cartilage in both of his knees.

My blood pressure was 128/72, pulse normal, no heart or lung problems, my cholesterol checks in at 190, even my eyes have not undergone a change in over four years. I still drive my car, but use a walker to get around most of the time; at times I use a cane, but have to be careful, my right knee can buckle under.…I am now over a 50-year NAWCC member and have contributed to its success in many ways I do not care mention for fear of blowing my own horn. And best of all…I still look forward to contributing to life and to our great NAWCC in the next five years. The prognosis seems to look that good.

48. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Dan, PLEASE don't stop posting! I recently started watching this forum and your posts. And I come here pretty much every day, hoping for more. I don't respond very often, mostly because your insights pretty much say it all. Your statements don't leave much room for improvement - trying would be "gilding the lily." THANK YOU! :love:

49. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #799 David S, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

Dan don't worry about responses. In other forums there are frequently many many views but only a handful care to comment or respond for what ever reason. Just be happy that people do read your posts.

I certainly can relate to your loosing friends and relatives. My Dad was a career Navy man and he would get the Navy newsletter each month and would comment to me how all the guys that he knew were "slipping their moorings". Even my mother predeceased Dad by 10 years. However Dad continued to have a great attitude right up to his passing in his 93rd year.

You are indeed fortunate that your genes have all lined up to give you a rich long life. Your vital statistics would be envied by many.

Even if I don't always comment on your posts I do admire your writing style and command of the english language. I struggled with English and Literature in high school and can't spell worth a damn, so I really appreciate when I can read posts such as yours.

All the best

David And PS Dan. It goes two ways. If you would like a conversation then it would be nice if you replied to those that respond to yours.

50. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

The friends we have 222770.jpg