The dreamer in me lives on!

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Oct 26, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    richiec: It has been said over and over..."You do not know a man or woman until you live with them."

Another line from the book "A Grand Complication" worth repeating here..."Ward's death marked the beginning of the end of the golden age of mechanical watchmaking." "The pocket watch that had captivated Ward and Henry Graves, Jr., was a rich man's dinosaur on the brink of extinction."

2. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Mother's Day

Sunday, May 12, 2013, today is Mothers Day and I wish all mothers in the NAWCC and wives connected to members of this great association...”A Happy, Healthy Mother’s Day.” I am sure the restaurants will be packed to the utmost today, as the children/husbands of mothers in tribute will be giving these women their due.

My wife and I had no offspring...however, 6-7 months after Evelyn passed away, I became a Mr. Mom, I did the second best thing in my long life adopting two felines I named Frankie Weiss and Johnnie and writing about them in the many posts here. Marrying Evelyn, of course, was the first.

Now, I am a Mr. Mom to Johnnie II...a beautiful cat that keeps me happy in my dotage. As I wend my way, hopefully, to the way of a century of life and still active and as a member of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

Have we ever had an NAWCC reach 100 years of life?

3. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    How many members read the book "A Grand Complication" by Stacy Perman? 166892.jpg

4. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Prominent in my thoughts today are Memorial Day and the Americans that gave their all so that millions worldwide would live a life unhampered by dictators in a more peaceful world.

Receiving a letter today from one of those veterans, it brings back happier days when were a little younger, and perhaps a little healthier and were attending NAWCC Yearly Conventions across the United States.

While we may reflect on Memorial Day, I also did a little reflecting back some 48 years in my joining the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. Little did I understand that move in joining this great organization would lead to over half a lifetime of meeting, knowing, and breaking bread with men and women from all aspects of endeavor that would become part of my life and memories.

I have found the secret (at least for me) the more you give of yourself to these honorable causes the more comes back to you. The wonderful memories locked into my brain of this association have helped my live a long life in anticipation of a friendship that will last even longer...and my good deeds devoted to this organization...even beyond that lifetime.

I pray, may it continue well past my current advanced age.

5. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Dan,
    A tip of the hat to your Memorial day recognition.
    We enjoy our freedoms because of those who struggled to secure them.

6. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #706 dweiss17, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
    A story about sugar corn

When I still was a youngster, I remember coming home as I approached our side yard open lattice iron gate, the wonderful odor of sugar corn on the cob being cooked, wafted through the kitchen screen door and reached my olfactory senses. It was a smell, an odor, so appealing, that forever it will be locked into my brain. That pleasant happening could have been more than the average life span of today.

Now to bring the story up to date...last year, I remember early in the spring when a supermarket advertised 10 ears of corn for $2.00. At this time in May 2013, if you want to buy some sugar corn it would cost you 50c an ear. Why so expensive; corn today makes ethanol; ethanol primarily is used as a gasoline additive. Some cars currently use only ethanol as their propellant. Buying corn at 50c an ear would not be my option, even as much as I enjoy the odor and devouring of sugar corn.

It could have been three days ago, while looking at the TV with my shoes off, I saw a five or ten second commercial advertising sugar corn in a supermarket near my home...12 ears $1.99. Quickly, I slid my feet into the shoes, went to the ground floor, clicked open the garage door, getting into the car I drove over to the supermarket. The corn silk ears looked nice and fresh, I came home with two plastic bags filled with twelve ears of white sugar corn. 50c an ear of corn on the cob had suddenly dropped to 17c an ear; this was too good a deal to pass up. I would enjoy sugar this day in May 2013.

At home, I filled a large pot with water and while waiting for it to boil, stripped six ears of their husks. Taking a quick nibble of the corn, it did not taste too sweet, thinking it would taste better after putting it into the boiling pot and waiting the prescribed time I removed the six ears.

Disappointment reined. The corn did not have the sweetness with which I was familiar. However, after eating one ear and wrapping the others to put them in the fridge, I went to my computer and did a little researching on how to cook corn on the cob.

The next afternoon, taking one ear with the husks still on it, I went to the directions prescribed on the Internet...Leave husks on the corn, cook on one side for 120 minutes, then on the other side for the same time. Remove from microwave and wrap in towel for five minutes. Being anxious to try the micro waved corn, I waited for less than half the prescribed time of five minutes, removing the cool husk, the eared corn inside was hot, too hot to handle with my fingers, using a plate with butter smeared on the corn, I used a fork to dig into the kernels and gave a taste. I was back to the sweet taste I had expected and hoped for.

Leaving the husks on the eared corn made all the difference to the sweetness of the cooked corn. BTW, can you remember the last time you husked corn and found it wormy near the tip? Chemicals have removed the worms and perhaps the inherent value of the kernels.

7. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan we often find it is difficult to find good sweet tasting corn....at a reasonable price. Can you please clarify... I hope you didn't put it in the microwave for 120 minutes .. unless it was on very low:???:?

8. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    I am sorry, meant to say one minute, twenty seconds. I also skipped the word corn in one paragraph.

PROOF POSITIVE...I am not perfect.

I wonder how I can sweeten the five ears already cooked, maybe sweet butter? I know they have salty butter. Is sweet butter available?

9. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When we cook corn, I always add about a handful of sugar to the water while cooking, unless the corn is really bad, it usually comes out good, add butter, salt and pepper. We had t-bones, corn and salad for supper this afternoon for Memorial Day. Thought of my dad, who died in 1980, in WWII. He loved corn on the cob even though he had many dental plates, it did not lessen his taste for corn. As gruff and rough as he could be at times, he grew a garden every year, tomatos, peppers, etc. His steak was cooked to a crisp on the outside and nearly raw on the inside, told us he charcoal was good for our teeth, can't doubt it as I have not had a cavity since I was 12 and I am 60 now.

10. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Our Philadelphia Inquirer features a scrambled word column daily...unscramble these words:

KILLAA...RADIEV...YSTSME...RAEDRG

11. Missy

Missy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2004
    Female
    Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ALKALI...VARIED...SYSTEM...GRADED

Missy

12. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Missy:

Thanks.

The tough one was ALKALI. will post another later today.

Will post another later today.

13. Missy

Missy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2004
    Female
    Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree Dan, alkali was the one that took me the longest to figure out. I used to work these before I moved up here. The paper here doesn't have them. I usually could get a clue from the little comic which sometimes helped get the words.

Missy

14. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #714 dweiss17, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2018
    Not too sure how many NAWCC members ever read this:
    Brief History NAWCC.pdf

Attached Files:

15. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #715 dweiss17, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    NAWCC History

My true version on how Philadelphia became Chapter 1 and New York Chapter 2.

On the first page, in the above history of the NAWCC you will read Chapter 1, was designated as such. That is not how I heard the story from two of our Founders, Robert Franks and Ernie Cramer.

Many years ago, I do remember asking Mr. Franks (a courtly well-dressed blue-suited gentleman) how we became to be known as Chapter 1. (I can still picture him in my minds eye, attending the later meetings at the Holiday Inn, after they were transferred from the Engineer’s Club, in center city Philadelphia.)

Mr. Franks told me; at an earlier meeting (before the Chapters were designated with numbers) a discussion was held as to naming the Philadelphia and New York Chapters as one (1) or two (2). I vividly member Mr. Franks telling me a coin was toss was held and Philadelphia won the coin toss. Ernie Cramer also told me the same thing.

I am prone to think the description here is totally correct. No one alive can verify this story, either way. I do not think the history of the coin toss was put down on paper in those early years of 1943. Yet, much of our written NAWCC history became known first as the Timekeeper and later as the Bulletin.

My sponsor Fred Breitinger, (a 50-year NAWCC Plaque member) had a low NAWCC serial number 171, joining Chapter 1 in 1944. His father and Uncle years earlier formed the American Cuckoo Clock Company, importing clocks from Germany, and later having their own manufacturing company at Ruffing Street in North Philadelphia. Fred’s brother had a thriving business reclaiming the silver from used X-rays, no longer need by hospitals.

When Fred went to work for the US Army Arsenal repairing and adjusting gun sights in 1966, and was to be transferred to Germany, he asked me to keep the store open on weekends. I had a day job at a large printing firm. (Among many of the publications, was the printing of Benjamin Franklin’s Poor Richard Almanac among others.)

From Germany, Fred came home with a wife (a nurse) and two daughters. His wife joined Fred at many of our Holiday Inn meetings. Fred passed away sometime in the later 1990’s. I lost a good friend and fellow NAWCC member.

16. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    The dreamer in me lives on...

Last night I went to sleep hoping for a new knee when I awoke this morning.

My dream will continue.

17. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    An open Letter:

An open letter to my friends Burt Cifrulak and George Myers...your storied history on the Adams & Perry watch Manufacturing Company and the companies that followed in its wake was great, and published in the March-April Bulletin 2013. It brought to the attention of our large NAWCC membership much of the unknown history and doings fostered by these companies and their founders and employees. Some of the false information and hand-me down stories were dispersed by your energetic research probing into the lives and history of these companies. Your extended and valuable research into these long-gone American watch manufacturing companies tends to speak volumes beneficial to our horologic knowledge, history and records.

In this long-needed research into our American watch companies by Burt and George much has been brought to light dispelling a number of horologic myths attributed to these companies by unthinking NAWCC members. One of these myths...the E.H. Perry pocket watch made in 1871 and fostered upon our membership as the first so-called Adams & Perry pocket watch. To me, this is totally false. Adams & Perry were not organized until at least 1874-1875, and no historically proven evidence (except hearsay) remains that they were able to finish even one pocket watch before they were taken over by some of the remaining shareholders.. The Lancaster Watch Co. (their successor) has been shown to finish an unknown number of these highly-prized pocket watches, now called the Adams & Perry pocket watch.

With much thanks to American pocket watch researchers Burt Cifrulak and George Myers...would it be too much to ask them to delve into the history and founding of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, starting in 1943, to the present date. There would be no myths attached to the research of the historical records of our Association...it is all put down in the documents and history in our world-famous NAWCC Library.

Such a story (written history) surely, would bring to light quite a few unrecognized NAWCC heroes, from the founding, up to our present day leaders and far-flung membership.

18. gmeyer4

gmeyer4 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Male
    CEO
    Morgan Hill
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Early watch companies of Lancaster

We appreciate the kind words on the research. It certainly was an interesting endeavor especially since this was my hometown. I think someone else will have to take on your new project regarding the history of the NAWCC. We are continuing to complete the story on the early watch companies of Lancaster. I think it is safe to say the early Perry prototype is certainly the precursor to the A&P design but the A&P movement was a totally new design and that this is accepted as fact within the community.

Since the story went to print we have no less than 4 verified, independent sources whom have seen, held, inspected the movement that is marked #1. It is marked #1 on all of the key pieces in all the right places. We have documented the trail the watch took to it's present home. The only document that exists stating it was completed while A&P was still in business is Crossman but the markings on the #1 would tend to collaborate this statement. Most would also agree that the A&P designed watches marked Lancaster were completed by later companies after A&P closed down. Those involved in this research will publish their findings when the research is complete but I did want to verify the few points regarding the Perry prototype and the A&P #1 watch.

19. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Re: Early watch companies of Lancaster

Hello George:

Thank you for your posting following my original posting today. While Adams & Perry marked #1, may or may not exist in some people’s minds...I must again disagree and say it would take absolute proof to show its existence...I have offered to make a substantial donation to the NAWCC (not that I have not done so in the past) as to its verifiable existence. My offer was never taken up.

While I am not an educated person in the legal sense, however, I do understand (hearsay) is not regarded as viable proof in any USA court of law. Were that so...we’d have many innocent people languishing in penitentiaries for crimes they did not perform.

As to the four independent sources who have seen the so-called Adams & Perry #1, or perhaps, told you so...I do not put too much stock into their verification. As in the above paragraph...their input would fall flat on its face in court.

That’s what makes horology so interesting...I would love to be proven wrong.

20. gmeyer4

gmeyer4 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Male
    CEO
    Morgan Hill
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Well Danny, My work is almost done here. That does not include having to convince you of anything. As newcomers with skill sets to conduct an investigation we have found enough independent evidence to conclude number 1 was made, who had it, who located it, who brokered it, who verified it and who owns it. We were not in any way influenced by whatever happened in the past in this community. We did our own investigation. It is possible that simply due to your overwhelming denial of any evidence that this watch will not come out until you can see it yourself in the next world.

It is obvious no one cares about your promise to make a donation. I think at this point they would rather let you rant and rave in your own little world. Sorry, Danny, you have lost rationality on this topic. I honestly believe if I put the number 1 watch in your hand you would call it a fake. If I introduced you to the family member who sold it you would call them a liar. No one is making any claims about this watch, no one is trying to make a small fortune on it, it is a horological treasure that is being treasured by a fine gentlemen collector who had the foresight and good fortune to buy it.

People have gone to jail on much less reliable evidence so unless your a lawyer, maybe leave the legal talk to them.

For the rest of you out there this has been a wonderful project. We learned a lot, corrected a few mistakes, added significant depth to the stories of the companies and wrote up a nice little story for others to read about the early watch companies of Lancaster PA. THE END

21. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

George:

You would do the "truth in Horology" an immense good... if you posted who had it, who located it, who brokered it, who verified it and, lastly,
    who owns it. Until then...what you call "rants" the word seems very familiar to me from other postings by a certain NAWCC member. Doing so, I would consider my promise to donate more than I already have to the NAWCC, as an obligation, upon verifiable proof.

22. MartyR

MartyR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:

Oh no you wouldn't :excited:

23. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Marty, please do not put words in my mouth! My offer stands upon verifiable proof!

What makes you think I wouldn't? I know me. You may not.

24. MartyR

MartyR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:

Dan, I have no dog in this race, I have no special interest in or knowledge of Adams & Perry. I just observe.

You make a huge issue out of your belief that a particular watch doesn't exist. Then when you are presented (by George in this case) with specific evidence that it does exist, you simply claim that the evidence is worthless even though you don't even know the source of that evidence.

That says to me that you have a closed mind on this subject. You start with a thesis which is probably impossible to disprove and then demand proof to disprove your unprovable thesis. Frankly, your position is untenable.

What you think this has to do with judicial proceedings I just don't know. If you took your thesis into a court of law they would probably put you straight into the pokey for a few hours for contempt of court. So why you think you can expect others to subject themselves to a discipline that you would avoid is ridiculous.

As an unbiassed observer I can tell you that the huge majority of experts would accept that on the balance of evidence provided here you are wrong and George is right. You should just accept that and admit that your fondly held theory is probably wrong. Until you can come up with some specific evidence to the contrary, I think you would be wise to be silent on the subject.

But that's your choice :)

25. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Many also believe in UFO's, bigfoot and the Lochness monster based on similar eyewitness accounts. I don't understand why this watch cannot be properly documented, perhaps in a bulletin article with pictures?? Why the big mystery?

26. MartyR

MartyR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:

That's an inept comparison, Harold.

The things you mentioned are fundamentally fantastic and the eyewitness accounts in those cases are in no way "similar" to the evidence that George has produced. There has never been a fragment of hard scientific evidence.

Watches, by contrast, have much more scientific evidence to prove their existence :excited:

The question here is not whether an Adams & Perry watch exists, but whether one of them is engraved with a serial number "1". And the evidence for most serial numbers of most pocket watches is purely anecdotal. I say that I have Charles Frodsham serial number 3246 and you probably believe that. If three other witnesses say they have seen that watch with the same serial number then you definitely believe it exists.

George say he has spoken to four independent witnesses who have seen (and held, I think) Adams & Perry #1 so you should equally be definite that it exists. The only possible reason that you disbelieve it is that Dan says it doesn't exist :???:

If you do have any doubt, then you have to produce a credible reason for those four people to be deliberately lying.

You're right, of course, that proving it exists seems to be easy, but then you have to find out who owns it and persuade him to appear before a committee of horological experts with his watch. That seems to me far less easy than just accepting the evidence :)

27. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Marty, if this watch somehow gets destroyed in some natural disaster, future watch researchers will only be able to say that it was rumoured that an A&P #1 watch existed, but we have no documented proof of it's existence.

28. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Harold:

Thank you for your input. I will answer Marty after I look up the word "thesis."

My less than grade school education does not permit me acquaintance with the word "thesis."

However I can post pictures of A&P pocket watches that passed through my hands...watches...that are not rumored to exist.

29. MartyR

MartyR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:

You're right, Harold, and that may be sad but it may also be one of those uncertainties that helps to make life interesting ;)

Incidentally, we equally have no proof that Frodsham #1 or Patek #1 or Fasoldt #1 ever existed, and inded we now have less evidence that any of those existed than we have that Adams & Perry #1 existed ... thanks to George and Burt's research.

The reality is that horologists take as fact much that has far less strong evidence than this. I have no idea why A&P #1 has become such an obsession. Frankly I don't believe it matters too much one way or the other ... even to serious horologists. It's just another mildly interesting pocket watch in the context of a million others, and it's probably less significant than at least 10,000 other pocket watches.

30. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow Sponsor NAWCC Diamond Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I’d like to make a recommendation.

First, let me state that I know nothing about watches but it seems reasonable that if watches are serial numbered, a #1 and #2 would have been made, with the company owner often keeping #1 for himself, and the co-owner keeping #2.

In any case, if we look at the very first post of “The dreamer in me lives on!” thread, it’s about Dan’s dream for a founders’ plaque. That has happened, and since then the topics within this thread have varied all over the map which, in itself, isn’t so bad. However, it now appears that the topic has turned to aggressive differences between a member with MB posting rights, and another who has lost his rights and needs others to defend him. We have to remember that this thread is open to public viewing.

Therefore, my recommendation is that the moderator close this thread, and members get on to talking about more enjoyable stuff.

Frank

31. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Frank Dan has had this thread for a long time and for the most part have been about some of his thoughts, contributions, and love of his cat, with over 65,000 views. I don't vote to close this thread, but rather perhaps the discussion on the #1 watch could have been in a separate thread.

32. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Frank:

Thank you for your thoughts, I, for one, wholeheartedly agree with you. However, when you express honest thoughts and those thoughts are attacked by others who may have an agenda...replying to those allegations is the only defense you have.

Plaid shirts and striped pants rarely make a worthwhile statement.

So it is with my concern, that my thoughts not to be construed in a way that may reflect upon me in a manner that belittles me in the eyes of my fellow NAWCC community members.

I just wish those who may be intent on trying to make me look foolish, refrain and put this A&P mess aside...and let us proceed with the more than 135 threads and about 200,000 hits in this NAWCC Member News and Views have been pleasant, informative and interesting to all concerned since its inception by me. And, that my near to 48 years in this NAWCC Horologic society is with hope that my overall contributions have not been in vain.

Dan

33. gmeyer4

gmeyer4 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Male
    CEO
    Morgan Hill
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #733 gmeyer4, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

Frank,

I could not disagree more with your statement. This has not a single thing to do with members with right and without rights and I fail to understand where this is coming from. For a very long time there has been this debate about this watch. Burt and I bacame interested in learning more so we set out to conduct an investigation. We reported our findings and were basically told everything we reported was a lie and we needed to prove it. Now, keep in mind here Burt is a lifelong member of the law enforcement field having served in many capacities including overseeing the SWAT team. So, if there is anyone qualified to conduct this investigation it is him. If there is anyone who will tell you the facts one way or the other it is he.

NO ONE is out to belittle anyone. We have no skin in this game and are only trying to be contributing members of this community and I take offense at your comment suggesting we have an agenda.

George

34. Markus Harris

Markus Harris Registered User

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #734 Markus Harris, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

Gentlemen,

For the record, I saw no agenda at work other than the simple fact that several users of this board are in disagreement about a topic of historical horological interest.

I personally appreciate the work George and Burt put into actively researching the topic in question. Well done, fellows!

It is of course Dan's (or anyone's) right not to accept that research as having proved the point. Both sides have stated their case.

No matter who else-- here or elsewhere-- might also agree or disagree with either side of the argument, I see no reason why this should denigrate into a personal feud (or an extension of any such past dispute).

Dan-- my advice would be to let it go and take all the research presented here in good faith. But stop referencing people who aren't even here to take part in the discussion. It just adds fuel to the fire.

George: Great job, and quite interesting. Maybe one day the watch in question will publicly be brought to light; perhaps not. Until that happens, though, it might be reasonable to expect longtime doubters of its existence to maintain their personal shreds of doubt.

There's no fight here that I can see.

If you extract any personal inferences and subjective concern about "agendas" from the discussion, any saber rattling thus far swiftly devolves into a non-issue.

Cheers,

Markus

35. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

My friend Markus:

For obvious reasons I cannot reply to your posting above. Perhaps, I should send you a recent posting from another Chapter. I have no fight, no agenda...except to keep "the truth in horology."

Dan

36. Markus Harris

Markus Harris Registered User

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Dan,

There isn't any reason to shut down this thread, or derail any part of this message board, because some users disagree among one another. I know this is the internet, and such things happen-- but no one likes to be lambasted or insulted by anyone, as a general rule. But it really doesn't help to be overly sensitive or to keep dredging it up over and over again, or to prod such a feud back to life when it's fading into the past.

If I were you, I'd continue this thread as before, though I'd be inclined to steer away from that particular topic. It's become foolishly incendiary, when it should be an "agree to disagree" sort of thing. At least that's my personal take on the situation.

Onward and upward!

Cheers,

Markus

37. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

I have just posted the untold history and finding of Adams & Perry Co. No. 1, in the pocket watch section...knowing many of our readers interested in horological history may never open the Forum Pocket Watches. You will find a story of a pocket watch hidden for about 110 years.

The story is verified in every aspect of its telling.

38. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #738 dweiss17, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013

Today is the Fourth of July. I just finished having a salad and a cooked sugar corn. Then I had my Scotch, diet Ginger Ale and ice in a tall glass that features cats, silk screened on the glass. The barbecue cooker on my patio has not been fired up in two-three years. I am in the bedroom on my computer chair with my left leg stretched out on the bed looking at the TV...my beautiful Johnnie II jumps to the bed, walks onto my leg and seats her rump on my lap and puts her pretty paws high up on my chest, near to my neckline, and with her magnificent and gorgeous face looks directly into my eyes...teaching me what love is all about. Happy Fourth, my friends. Let's do it again next year.

39. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:

Yep---for sure! Cheers! Happy fourth to you and your feline companion.

40. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #740 dweiss17, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013

Giving a look I see I have not posted on the "dreamer in me lives on" since July 4th. But I have made other posts on the Member News and Views Forum.

Not wanting the "dreamer" to feel lonely, here goes...we often hear about people, family or friends having the onset or going through the years of the disease called Alzheimer's. Earlier this week I had a [great shock]. My sister called, it was about 4:00 PM, "Are we going out to dinner tonight?" We made no such plans. We did go out Monday for dinner to a Seafood House, I had a hankering for some good seafood for quite a while and took out Reba and her son, Steven.

6:45 PM she calls again..."Where is my husband Sam" I told her he was gone a long time ago, the reply was, "I forgot." then she asked "Where is my son Steven" I told her he was on was on his way home from work, again the reply was, "I forgot." I had noticed in the past certain things in her memory had failed and was a little worried about her memory.

Today, it was stark realization Alzheimer's was running its course. We each live alone. I dropped Steven an email noting what transpired earlier that day. He is looking into possibly getting her a home companion. Reba will be 95 years of age in November and a danger to herself living alone.

Me, I will be 98 years of age in December...still have most of my marbles rattling around in my noggin. When you live long enough you are bound to get some health problems. While my mind is fine...the knees are problematic. Still I look forward to more than a full century of life.

41. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

While looking for some photos of Dr. Warner D. Bundens and Fred Breitinger to post in something I am writing about Chapter 1 of Philadelphia. I came across this photo of my wonderful feline Johnnie II, using her inborn curiosity, in deciphering what I was doing with a waste basket I had just lined with a plastic bag.

Really, I did not even know I had this wonderful photo I had taken months ago. 175539.jpg

42. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

1. [FONT=&amp]Yesterday, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]04:27 PM[/FONT][FONT=&amp] #1 [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Mary Ann Wahlner[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Board Secretary [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Join Date[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Jun 2002[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Posts[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]691[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I move that Item 4) be added to Article XIII, section 5(b) of the standing rules:[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

4) Injured, Handicapped, and Elderly Members Needing Assistance
    Any Member needing assistance from a guardian, nurse, or aide to attend a chapter meeting shall be allowed to bring one such non-member to the meeting solely for the purpose of providing the personal services necessary to allow the Member to enjoy chapter activities. Such non-member shall not be permitted to buy or sell at the meeting. The chapter shall determine whether the guardian, nurse, or aide shall pay the normal or a reduced registration fee. The Member is responsible for the conduct of his guardian, nurse, or aide. Those abusing this privilege shall be removed from the event immediately.

Mary Ann Wahlner
    [/FONT]

Mary Ann:

Thank you for submitting this ruling favoring the elderly...injured or handicapped NAWCC members who due to their problem cannot attend their Chapter meetings because of some NAWCC bylaws or Chapter rules.

The motion in my opinion does not go far enough. Any helper doing service for an NAWCC member should be FREELY admitted to any and all Chapter, Regional or Conventions sponsored by its worldwide Chapters. In my case. Chapter 1...rescinded its ruling a guest helper needs to join the NAWCC, else any NAWCC member so handicapped cannot attend a Chapter meeting after devoting more than half his/her lifetime to the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

Dan Weiss, NAWCC #8331

43. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow Sponsor NAWCC Diamond Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Motion for Members Needing Help

Dan:

As a member of the B&P committee, I wrote the motion being presented by Mary Ann based on the complaint that you had with Chapter 1. I had no idea – still don’t – whether this is a common problem in other chapters, but I thought it was a good idea. There is no reason why someone with poor mobility can’t attend their local chapter meeting.

You still aren’t satisfied. Actually, when I first drafted the motion I wanted to include regionals and national conventions but the B&P committee didn’t like that – and for good reason. In so many regionals and conventions, so-called “elderly” tableholders ask security to let their “helpers” in to help carry stuff to the table. Unfortunately, nine out of ten times, as soon as the helper has dropped off the stuff, he doesn’t leave the mart room; he’s off buying in the mart room during setup, against policy. In chapter meetings, there are only a couple of members who need assistance so it is easy for security to keep an eye on them. At regionals and national conventions, there are just too many instances and security can’t keep an eye on all the helpers (the tableholders certainly don’t). Perhaps someday when everyone respects the rules we can add regionals and conventions.

Please be satisfied with what you are getting.

Best regards,
    Frank

44. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Frank:

You read me wrong! I am satisfied. As the rule is written to be voted on...I cannot attend any Regional or Convention. I was thinking of other members who may need the help and comfort of a helper.

Not that I will be attending anymore Conventions at 98 years of age.

At York, PA, both Dave Coatsworth and Frank Menez were wonderful to me, even though I drove there on my own. Dave and I stayed at the same Hotel, so that lifted a burden from me. (In fact, I sent Dave in California a package of watches when we attended the Pasadena Convention.) And sold lots of Calendars making money for the NAWCC.

Chapter 190 was just as helpful as possible during the Convention. It great to get help when you need it. Even the airline cooperated fully.

45. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Many companies and others sites had advertising slogans, I will post a few, see if you name the originator...

I have a good one for the NAWCC from the Calendars I print to make money for the NAWCC...From the mind of Man...Our Guardians of Time

Where did the yellow go?

Ask the man who owns one.

A diamond is forever.

A little dab’ll do you.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

His Master’s Voice.

Be all that you can be.

Do you?

Good to the last drop.

I’d walk a mile.

It takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Just Do It.

M’m! M’m! Good.

Put a tiger in your tank.

46. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    A little of this, some of that!

Just finished printing another 25 Calendars in anticipation of sales from our worldwide NAWCC Chapters;
    a notice went out Friday (past) they were ready for sale.

I will be a 50 year member of the NAWCC October 2014.

Will be attending the Chapter 1 meeting September 15[SUP]th[/SUP].

So far the NAWCC profited $500.00 from this year’s Calendar sales.

Our Phillies suffer the doldrums of a poor baseball team.

Looking for some replies to postings I made on the Member News and Views.

Due to the overabundance of rain, the greenery and flowers are amazing.

Getting closer to my fighting weight of 153 lbs...lost about 9-10 lbs.
    It was easy, cut out chocolate and sweet cake and other foods like bread.

Been thinking about what I have contributed to society, good human interest story
    in the making.

The new knee brace while no cure...helps this near 98 years old get around.

My health, excepting the right bum knee, I wish upon all our NAWCC members,
    100 years or more is my future. (I hope.)

47. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: A little of this, some of that!

Dan, just keep on truckin' !! I expect to see you here two years from now approaching your 100th as I approach my 80th . . still a youngster!

48. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Publicly, on this NAWCC site I want to thank Frank del Greco for his input in having a long standing rule (bylaw) changed-Chapter/NAWCC?...where a handicapped NAWCC member needs to have a helper to attend an NAWCC meeting. I know at Chapter 1, the ruling was changed that a helper can attend meetings only twice and then needs to join the NAWCC. Being handicapped to a point where my knees will not permit me to carry things without possibly falling on my face and causing unnecessary grief.

Chapter 1 saw the wisdom of such a change...now my helper can attend without charge and even share in the luncheon; (as long as the helper has no participation in other ways than just being a help to me.) I think this should apply to every Chapter and member who needs help attending his/her Chapter meetings.

Our next NAWCC Chapter 1 meeting is at Fort Washington. PA, September 15th...my helper and I will be attending.

I have no idea if this would apply to Regionals or Conventions. Frankly, it should.

On another point I wish to make...reading some postings...it has been suggested all Conventions be held in the York/Lancaster, PA area. It would save a lot of turmoil by Chapters charged with holding the Conventions in their immediate home area. This way a group of permanent Convention makers could in a very cohesive manner do away with much of the turmoil and misunderstandings and possibly save the NAWCC member attending the Convention booking hotel and airline fees, if held yearly at these sites. It could still feature the Chapter as the guest host.

Not only that...just think how many NAWCC members never had the opportunity to attend a visit to our great North American NAWCC Horological Museum in Columbia, PA. A visit or two or three while at these Conventions would give the attending members a great and wonderful perspective as to what their magnificent Museum is all about...featuring American and foreign Watches and Clocks...our horological Library attached to the Museum is possibly the finest in the entire world.

While at the York Convention, Frank Menez, Dave Coatsworth and I attended the Donor Reception held at our beautiful Museum second floor. We also visited the Museum twice and still could not see all it had to offer in its world-famous collection of horological artifacts. Members who have never visited our Museum at Columbia, PA are missing so much of the heritage of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. We do have an exceptional, proud heritage.

49. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

This morning I awoke and saw a magnificent feline face with dark eyes, ringed yellow green, looking directly into mine, and with a bump of the crown of her head touching my outstretched arm she began to gently lick it. Johnnie II had jumped to the bed, and by her actions was telling me she wanted me to get out of bed and give her the morning meal that was her custom to receive. I gave a second look at this feline, so blessed with furry tri-color markings that only tended to accent her already overall beauty. She is a part of the world I live in, she is my loving companion, I am hers.

After going into the kitchen and giving this wonderful animal her due...I came back into the bedroom, sat down, and thought about what had just transpired between Johnnie II and me. No psychologist, no doctor of Veterinary, can explain the bond, the need, or the combination that brings two totally different species...human and animal...together... in a bonding that can last over the lifetime of the surviving participant.

My memory is filled with Frankie Weiss and Johnnie I, they were part of my life before Johnnie II arrived to take up the loss of Johnnie I, who lived with Frankie Weiss and me for nine years and one day...in a joyful life filled with a harmonious family relationship. Knowing Frankie Weiss missed her companion and it was not good for her to be alone, I cannot remember or find the date I adopted Johnnie II, after we lost Johnnie I...November 28, 2006.

Need I tell you it was a harrowing and sad experience for Frankie Weiss to go through in my bringing into the home she grew up in so many years ago...another feline to keep her company? Frankie Weiss wrested with the experience for a few weeks...wondering why her loving companion (me) brought another feline into her home.

It proved to be a blessing, as my wonderful Frankie Weiss spent her remaining few years in company with Johnnie II, this new companion cat during her time with Frankie Weiss would constantly try to groom her and keep Frankie busy with her antics as only a young feline can.

For me the loss of Frankie Weiss on St. Valentine’s Day of 2011...was not a loss in the usual aspect of a keeper and his pet. Her love and her meaning to and for me was a celebration of our more than thirteen years together as companions. Our need for one another, in the merging of the human and animal species as much as such species can merge...I shed many tears when I lost Johnnie I. For Frankie Weiss, I can only glory in my heart of her remembrance and what she meant to me, I cry not for her...the love we shared would not permit a tear. Her spirit lives in every room of the home we shared.

I again post a picture that was seen before on these pages...to me it exemplifies the feline life shared by her human counterpart. 179038.jpg

50. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:

Dan,
    From my own various adventures with feline pets---I fully understand the words and experiences that you have shared here.