The dreamer in me lives on!

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Oct 26, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    As a member of Chapter 1 and Chapter 190

THE DREAMER IN ME LIVES ON!

On Saturday, December 11, 2010, I’ll be 95 years of age and will be holding my 5 year annual Birthday Party (since I was 65 years old, 30 years ago) to which I invite family and friends. Of eight siblings, one sister age 92, remains. This affair is a by product of many other dreams that came true for me.

Here’s another dream that will come true very shortly.

Sometime this week I expect to get a phone call from Spike’s Trophies to come pick up a Plaque honoring a number of NAWCC members whom were the 52 Founders: 1st elected Officers, 1st elected Board Members and the electing Members as of November 7, 1943. In my personal opinion, as an NAWCC member for 46 years and as a dreamer, honoring our 52 founding members was long overdue.

Please stop to think…what would you be doing today if it were not for these 52 people who loved horology...and as a result created the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

With much thanks to Markus Harris, my collaborator, in getting the names and ascension numbers together in order to create this Founders Plaque that will grace the entrance area of our world famous Horology Museum in Columbia, PA...the Museum has about 12,000 visitors each year. The Plaque has been paid for out of personal pocket.

However, I have another dream that will need the help of the NAWCC Chapter members to make come true. The Dream...honoring our NAWCC members whom have given 50 years of their lives to this great Association. At this time, it may require 3 Plaques to list all the names of these 50 year members. I understand we may have close to 300 members in this category, and to leave room for future 50 year members.

More to come on honoring our 50 year members in the near future!

2. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wonderful effort, Mr. Weiss, and much appreciated.

3. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Picking up the Founders Plaque yesterday, my first objective was to photograph it for showing here. The plaque is of solid walnut, brass Laser engraved heading and plates and with our Founders names and Electing members to their positions with ascension numbers, dated from November 7, 1943.

Let’s face it...metal objects are not easy to photograph, either with flood lights or with camera flash. Even doctoring with computer software does not help the cause too much. Doing the best I could at this moment in time...attached is a poor image of a beautiful Plaque honoring our 52 Founders. It measures 21”x15” and will be hung on the walls of the entrance to our Horology Museum in Columbia, PA for our 12,000 yearly visitors and fellow members to see and to read.

Creating this much needed observance to our Founders...can repay only a fraction of the 46 years of derived enjoyment that I have been a loyal member of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. It goes without saying delving into this horologic world you learn much about history, inventors, timepieces, collecting and into many other offshoots and phases of our world of horology.

The next horologic adventure will be getting our NAWCC Chapter members attention in donating (one dollar) per member until we reach the amount of around $2000 to pay for 3 Plaques...Celebrating 50 years of membership in the NAWCC. Understanding, we have about 300 such members, each Plaque will carry 120 names and leave room for future members who are fortunate enough to reach this wonderful milestone.

More to come on this subject of 50 year membership in the NAWCC. 75023.jpg

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice looking plaque, Dan.

5. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Here is a copy of what I think should head the Plaques for our 50 year NAWCC members.

See attachment. 75035.jpg

6. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Daniel:

Happy upcoming 95th birthday! Thank you for all you have done for the NAWCC and those of us in it.

I am privileged to have one of my clocks featured in your NAWCC calendar. Again, thank you.

How do you want us members to contribute our $1.00; where do we send our donation?

RobertG

7. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Senior Administrator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful plaque, Dan! Well done.

8. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Hello Robert:

Thank you for your kind words and wishes as to my 95th Birthday.

In my personal opinion, I understand what my years in the NAWCC have done for me. Through this association during my 46 years of horology, I have met so many people, well beyond recall. Having met and conversed with many of the NAWCC movers and shakers...it has been a learning experience for me. Both education wise and in the everyday association with people who befriended this novice in the horologic world.

Much of their way of looking at things has had the happy effect of rubbing off on me. I will mention three in particular, two of our original Founders, Robert Franks...our first NAWCC president, Ernie Cramer...the first president of Chapter 1...both these gentlemen took me under their wings and helped me fly in the horologic sense. And last but not least, the remarkable Dr. Warner D. Bundens, a Philadelphia Chapter president and NAWCC president, trustee, NAWCC benefactor, plus many more appellations that my poor mind does not recall. And, above all...it was my privilege to call him friend and have him visit my home near the Shriners Hospital...where he freely gave of his time and skill as a surgeon to the needy children that is one of the Shriners hallmarks. I could say much more...but back to the present:

When I joined the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors back in 1946 through the insistence of Fred Breitinger (who became a 50 year member) sometime around either 1994/1995; many of the 52 names on the Founders Plaque were still attending Chapter 1 meetings, Regionals, and yearly Conventions.

Sometime ago, I began thinking what would we NWACC members be doing today...were it not for these far sighted men and women who founded this now worldwide famous association? From those thoughts grew the Founders Plaque...with the help of Markus Harris who was kind enough to spend his valuable time as Communications Director, after a few hours research in the Library, I received an email from Markus with all the 52 names and ascension numbers needed to complete the Plaque honoring these first officers, directors and electing members of the NAWCC.

In honoring the 50 year members of the NAWCC it will take more than my financial resources at this time. When I deliver the Founders Plaque to Markus Harris, he will be presented with two options that I think should work in getting the proper funding of perhaps around $2000.00 to be able to create three Plaques with the names of the present 50 year members. And, to have blank plates in reserve for future members who will reach that distinctive milestone in the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. These Plaques will also hang on the Columbia Museum walls for roughly 12,000 yearly visitors to admire.

9. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Sorry, I just realized I transposed my date of joining the NAWCC...

the date was...1964...NOT 1946.

10. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Here's a better perspective of the Founders Plaque...still not as beautiful when as seen in person or photographed properly. 75175.jpg

11. Gene Klodzen

Gene Klodzen Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Springfield, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    A very handsome plaque, Dan, and your inclusion of the iconic "Old Timer" logo, in my opinion, an excellent choice.

Gene Klodzen
    Washington DC Chaper 12

12. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #12 dweiss17, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
    Gene:

Thank you for your reply. Today, I delivered the Founders Plaque to the Columbia NAWCC Museum. Both Steve Humphrey and Markus Harris were there to receive and look it over. While it passed muster...the "iconic" may be slightly changed. I pasted a printed "Man at the Sun Dial" to the space occupied now, it may be removed and engraved into the brass plate to keep it in accord with the rest of the names on the now finished Plaque.

We spoke about future Plaques "Celebrating...50 Year Membership in the NAWCC ." In December when the Board meets...it will be taken up if, how, and when to proceed with the project.

This was my third (3) visit to the Museum since the June Convention...I take the liberty to advise anyone within reasonable distance to try to visit this wonderful and unique place of American Horology...you will not go away disappointed...instead you will marvel at the beauty of this Museum that houses 12,000 or more items...clocks, watches, papers, books and other things that have a bent to horology. Truly, it is an American venture into the world of Horology.

13. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    In the very short time this posting was first made, I notice it had 244 views, I suppose by NAWCC members. It would even be more rewarding if other postings by our membership were made. Let's help expand our thoughts by writing yours...so others may be tempted to post theirs, also.

14. Gene Klodzen

Gene Klodzen Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Springfield, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Ditto to your excellent suggestion, Dan. Always good to keep in mind that we, the members, are the Association.

Gene

15. Markus Harris

Markus Harris Registered User

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, all!

On behalf of the Communications Department of the NAWCC, and speaking for both Mr. Humphrey and myself, I'd like to personally extend my thanks to Dan Weiss for his dogged determination and gracious generosity in spearheading the 52 Founders plaque project. It was all Mr. Weiss's doing; and the end result is a beautiful memorial to a very special group of people, without whom our Association would not exist.

I'll be hanging the new plaque in a place of honor in the Museum lobby tomorrow, where it can be seen and enjoyed by all future visitors.

Thanks again, Dan. It's always a pleasure meeting with you, and your enthusiasm is inspiring.

Cheers!

Markus

16. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Yesterday, it was a round trip of about 196 miles from Philadelphia to deliver the Founders Plaque to the hands of Steve Humphrey and Markus Harris at the Museum in Columbia, PA. I knew Markus from previous occasions, and have not met Steve before (face to face.) Both these NAWCC’ers are gentlemen of the first water.

Another earlier posting speaks about the things we discussed. I forgot to mention I saw three (3) other Plaques hanging on the left wall as we entered the elevator to go to the 2nd floor. These Plaques were a blur... noticing them out of my left eye, as we entered the elevator.

I also said in an earlier posting this new Forum was the place to post your thoughts outside of horology and the place to complain if done in good taste. Well I have a complaint...as a long time member of the NAWCC...I know not what these Plaques contain and whom they honor.

Frankly, to my way of thinking they are hardly noticeable unless you enter the elevator area and even then you have no time to read the Dedication panel and names on them.

For some reason the words of President Reagan come to mind, “Mr. Gorbachov, please tear down this wall;” similarly, I ask the powers that be...”Please move these Plaques to where a person can look at them and read what is engraved on them.” Hanging in the place they are...does not do these people’s names/honors on those Plaques...justice.

Gentlemen...please give a thought to this posting and move the Plaques to where they belong...to be read by all entering this magnificent NAWCC Museum of Horology, and, not hidden in a corner of the elevator entrance.

17. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, I would like to offer my personal thanks to you for creating and donating the "Founders' Plaque" to NAWCC. This is a welcome gesture and much appreciated!

Regarding the other plaques you mention, the location may or may not be appropriate depending on what they are. If I recall correctly one is for Volunteer of the Year, which is appropriately seen by our volunteers in Columbia as they go back and forth to the office every day. In any event I'll check with Steve regarding placement.

Also, I've sent you a PM about the location of this thread, perhaps more appropriate in the new Member News and Views Forum that was started after your first post here.

18. Markus Harris

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, I really feel I have to answer this one directly.

The positioning on the plaques you mention is not happenstance; it was deliberately chosen. The section of wall they cover is on the left hand side leading to the upstairs elevator, true; that is the entrance to NAWCC headquarters, the head offices where all of our association business is conducted. It is an appropriate place to display the contents of those plaques-- past volunteers, the Chapters of the Year, individual members who have been awarded special honors for service to the association, etc.

View attachment 3658

Naturally we would want those plaques where the public can view them; but we also want them in the section of the museum dedicated to NAWCC operations. It would hardly be appropriate to tack them up in the middle of non-NAWCC wall materials or in areas otherwise utilized for unrelated museum exhibit display.

Their current location accomplishes both goals. They are easily viewable by the public-- in fact, you MUST view them, if you approach the elevators. But they are still specifically in the entrance way to the NAWCC offices section of the building.

Also, because a guest would probably spend at least a few minutes waiting for the elevator, the plaques are in a perfect location to be studied and appreciated while a viewer waits for the elevator.

View attachment 3659

I apologize if you found them difficult to view; but if so, I suggest you didn't take the time to properly do so. They are nothing if not prominently displayed.

Cheers,

Markus

19. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Gee Markus:

I hope I did not cause anyone trouble in asking a simple question.

That John Hubby chose to reply to my posting and that you felt obligated to answer is far beyond what I expected. I was just curious as to why they were hung at the elevator entrance...since I did not have time to read any of the Plaques as we were going upstairs. As I said before, I caught view of them as just we entered the elevator.

No harm done...however, the views you presented were/are worthwhile...it shows that Volunteers and others are honored for their service to this magnificent American Museum of Horology.

20. Markus Harris

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan,

Not a problem. I think the reason why Mr. Hubby and I were so adamant is that both of us...ALL of us here at headquarters, in fact-- are very proud of the accomplishments of our members, and want their achievements properly acknowledged.

In truth, in retrospect I feel bad for having rushed you into the elevator and upstairs to meet Steve. Had I not been in such a hurry, you would have had more time to view those plaques. There are many such, of many different sizes, all over the Museum lobby and in the museum itself, honoring our members. It is quite enlightening to view them and realize how our association, which began from such humble origins, has achieved so much for the cause of horology. But the association IS the membership. So we are quite proud to honor our members for all they have contributed.

Cheers,

Markus

21. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Markus:

Some day I wish someone would really explore and write the true history of our National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors history. So much of it has been handed down as lore...while we have early letters and other paraphernalia that helps; some of it true beginnings have been lost.

To start with, the first repository of the belongings of the NAWCC was the Franklin Institute here in Philadelphia. When Earl Strickler joined the group he had his own Clock Museum in his home in Columbia, PA. It may be lost in history but upon becoming Editor; Earl had enough influence to have everything moved to his home in Columbia. My understanding is that he did not like to travel, and had enough influence to have our horologic material removed to Columbia. So Columbia, PA became the permanent home of the NAWCC.

Upon presentation of my NAWCC membership card to the Franklin I was immediately given permission to enter the building and explore to my hearts content. Other people who wished to visit the Institute to see its many wonders (I think) had to pay a $2.00 admission fee.

Another historical point that has to do with Chapter 1 in Philadelphia and Chapter 2 in New York, has been lost in time. If you read the 1993 history of the NAWCC put out in concert with the National Convention in that year, it speaks about the naming of Chapter 1 and Chapter 2. That is not how I heard it out of the mouths of two Founders who should know the truth.

At an early Philadelphia meeting among those who were the organizers of this Association and the numbering of the Chapters; a coin was tossed in order to define Chapter 1 and Chapter 2...Philadelphia won and became the first so named chapter. This was told to me in 1964 when I joined the association...by both Ernest Cramer and Robert Franks. Both gentlemen along with L.D. Stallcup and the Fleisher Brothers (whom seem to have had a Museum of their own) were important cogs in the NAWCC founding.

I have other early letters that were given me by my sponsor Fred Breitinger (a member of the NAWCC for over 50 years.) I have other early material that I’ll be sending to Markus to give to the Library, although they may have copies of the same.

Attached is one of the early letters by Secretary Stallcup, I may also have the first Constitution draft and an early printed version.

Dan 75536.jpg

22. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #22 dweiss17, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    From the days when real nice gifts were given to the participants to the Regionals and Conventions. Today, we continue to face depletion in our NAWCC membership ranks. (Verified today in a message to the NAWCC membership.) !74 members lost, 82 members gained.

How can we stop the bleeding? 75705.jpg

23. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Here is another nice gift from the Regional in Richmond. That was a very well attended show. The brass has a patina all its own...took 30 years...and I was 30 years younger and had good knees.

BTW: This new Forum less than two (2) weeks old...already had at least 530 hits. Not bad. Wish there were more replies to the postings. 75754.jpg

24. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    As I sit here in the comfort and leisure of my home at an age I never expected to achieve, randomly looking through a box of pictures I had not opened in a very long time, my eyes rest upon a picture of my departed wife Evelyn and myself. The picture dated SEPT 66, confirms my age at that time was 51 years. It seems I’m wearing a vest (I still have) with a watch and chain. Evelyn wears something I had picked up during my clock and watch hunting explorations at that time.

What is remarkable about the picture, it may have been taken shortly before I lost two brothers and their wives when their Boac English Airliner broke apart due to stress fractures over Mt. Fuji in Japan. About 10 years later we took an Eastern Oriental Tour with a good friend and his wife. And, flew over that same mountain as I paid homage to their memories with a prayer.

I ask myself, 44 years later where and how have these past years flown by so quickly. While I do not have the youth pictured, I do have a world of good memories relating to my family and to the other family of to which I’m a proud member, going into my 47th year...the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. 75792.jpg

25. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    I just googled...see what I found! 75813.jpg

26. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Before attending the June 2010 Convention in York PA, I had some watches stored in a small suitcase to take along with me to the Convention. Putting the case on the bed and opening it, I started to remove the enveloped watches, Johnnie II jumped to the bed to see what her Mr. Mom was doing. Cats being what they, creatures of curiosity, jumped into the case to try to help me. As soon as I took out all the contents...my beautiful Johnnie II decided to make herself at home. The result is pictured below. 75833.jpg

27. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, thought you might like to see a picture of my little ball of hair, Zoe. She's about 15, never was the friendliest cat, but she does have personality. Says HELLO (sounds like harrooo)every morning, and calls me by name when she wants something (sounds like harroooold). I'm more of a dog guy, but I don't mind this one. 75883.jpg

28. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Hello Harold:

Saying you are more of a dog guy, one of our Moderators and a personal good friend Dave Coatsworth...has ONLY 10 of the Huskies breed. While Dave has a fine watch collection, at one time he wrote me..."What a great collection he could have in regards to the yearly feed and health bill of his wonderful dogs.

Your Zoe looks to be a Calico...Both Frankie Weiss and Johnnie II are of that mixed parentage making them really beautiful to look at...My Johnnie II is over two years old...Frankie Weiss of book and NAWCC fame is goinging into her dotage...just like her keeper, me.

Another thought, in the extremely short time the NAWCC Members News and Views has been a part of our Message Board, it can boast of 672 hits; I wish some of the people who looked the Forum...would put their fingers to the keyboard and do some typing...regarding anything that comes to mind...but in good taste.

29. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, I've had 4 Malamutes over the years (my favorite breed), but was never into having a sled dog team, so never had more than one at a time. My wife thought it cruel to have a dog that lived outside, but it was the dog's preference. They would come in first thing in the morning to see what was new in the house, then within a half hour, would be at the door to go back outside (we have a large, treed and fenced yard). My current dog is 1/2 golden retreiver, 1/2 Russian Spaniel. An indoor dog, who does love the outdoors, but only if I'm with her:D.
    I'm into wilderness camping, fishing, and ATVing.
    Always have a dog with me on my trips.
    Zoe is my wife's pet. Our youngest daughter brought a tabby with her when she came home from university last spring so now we have two cats. They are still working on their territorial rights.
    Guys, this is the perfect place to talk about anything you want. Lets help Dan out, I think he will eventually get tired of talking to himself:Party:

30. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #30 dweiss17, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
    Please take Harold's advice!

I just turned on my computer and looked at the Members News and Views...718 HITS! In such a short period of time. Less than 3 weeks.

Don't know what to write about?...Here's a couple suggestions.

What did you have for breakfast, did you drive to work, do you have a cat or dog, how many kids, did you go to college, where, what watches or clocks interest you, how old is your eldest kin, do you think we should have a Plaque celebrating our 50 year members?

Do you repair your watches or clocks, when you made your first one tick, how did it make you feel, how long are you an NAWCC member, do you like the new style Watch and Clock Bulletin, and 5000 more questions you can answer by putting your fingers to your computer keyboard and let your thoughts fly.

The 2011 Calendar is on sale at the NAWCC Gift store. (Attached)

Please lake Harold's advice! 75950.jpg

31. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, I love your calendar. I was wondering if it would be a lot of extra work to have two of them, one specifically for watch people, and one for clock people? Just an idea for 2012.
    I wonder how many 50 year members we have at the present? Certainly they deserve recognition. I didn't find the NAWCC early enough in my life to have any hope of making it to this milestone.

32. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #32 dweiss17, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
    Harold:

To answer a couple of your interesting questions, let me start by thanking you for interest in the yearly Calendar published by me.

To start to make a Calendar with only clock photos would be a simple thing...only...if I had the 14 good photos needed that would have to be supplied by the NAWCC members with descriptions of each clock. This involves a lot of work...getting the members to submit photos that would be good enough to feature...would we have enough buyers to make it worthwhile completing such a project. (All sales monies are donated to the NAWCC funding.)

Do you realize the time and effort it takes to get our membership to submit decent photos...be they watches and/or clocks. I would have to create a different format for a Calendar that features only clocks...that presents no great problem. If one, or two, or three NAWCC sent me checks totaling $300 made out to the NAWCC, I would do the work if enough clock photos were submitted with their descriptions.

Would you care to help and get the needed photos and funding?

Right now, I’m involved with getting permission and funding (close to $1500) for two plaques that would bring credit to the NAWCC for honoring all their 50 year members...the plaques would be hung on the walls to the Museum entrance. This is a project long overdue. A letter from me will be read at the December meeting of the Officers and Board members seeking permission to proceed on this project.

I personally paid for a plaque that honored our 52 Founders, Officers, and electing Members...without them there would be no NAWCC that at one time had over 38,000 paying members. It was a debt long overdue, I felt it a worthy cause and with the help of Markus Harris putting together the 52 names and ascension numbers...it’s a reality. The plaque now hangs on the NAWCC Museum walls in Columbia, PA...for our 12,000 yearly visitors to see and to read.

Thank you for remembering those whom sacrificed their lives...so we may remain free in both Canada and the USA.

Dan

33. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Today the Member News and Views totals 745 HITS. Yesterday, I wrote we had 672 hits, could I have made a mistake?

Realizing many members are off work today, it's Veteran's Day, a legal holiday...could it be possible we've had so many hits between yesterday and today?

Whatever the case, I'm gratified John Webb took up my plea to create this new Forum, it would be even better if some of our members replied to the posted messages. It would draw more interest in person to person correspondence on this new Forum. Please help!

34. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    December is a month in which we celebrate many different things. I celebrate it as the month I was born. This month we also have many Holidays for different faiths.) And, the NAWCC Board of Directors meets in Columbia December 3 to 5, 2010...shortly after their departure; I hope to get permission to proceed with an idea long overdue...Celebrating...50 Year Membership in the NAWCC...with their names on two beautiful plaques for all to see on the walls of our beautiful Museum.

We may have up to 200 members whom have achieved this venerable and impressive goal of 50 year membership in the NAWCC. If permission is granted to begin with one of the three ideas in which I proposed to the Board (in a letter to be read at their meeting in December) to raise money for possibly two plaques honoring these longtime members to whom we all owe a great debt of gratitude. Frankly, I have no idea how many hobby Associations can boast of such membership but we at NAWCC should be extremely proud of this intriguing hobby into the exploration of horology and it many, many phases that has a most impressive membership reaching that achievement...membership lasting over half a lifetime.

In writing about my three visits to the NAWCC Museum of Horology since the 2010 June Convention, I neglected to express the immense pride I felt upon looking at the entrance to the Museum with the 4-sided Street clock to my left, as I walked up the steps to enter our world-famous American Watch and Clock Museum. Inside, my eyes were taking in the overwhelming number of American rare watches and clocks on display and realizing this was only a fraction of the 12,000 or more items we have depicting our worldwide venture into horology since our founding in 1943. It was gratifying to see a number of objects displayed...tagged with names that are familiar to me and quite a few with names whom I could call friend.

And, last but not least...visitors will now be able to see the 52 names of our Founders on a plaque that finally honoring their memory ...honoring them as the founders of this National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors...little did these 52 dreamers think their beginnings in November 7, 1943 would result, today, in our magnificent edifice of Horology that welcomes visitors from all over the world.

35. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, please send me a copy of your letter to pastimes<at>juno.com. I need this so the topic can be added to the agenda for our meeting; as it will require a motion for approval. If approved we would also add this to the "Golden Circle" award now in the Standing Rules. The Golden Circle award is given for 50-year continuous service in the NAWCC.

36. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Hello John:

Markus Harris assured me the letter would find its way to the Board Meetings, December 3-5, 2010.

However, I'll send you a copy to your email address, I do not think it proper to publish here before it has been read at the Board meetings.

All the help possible is needed. If you care to email me after you read my plea...that would be welcome.

37. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    The family Weiss:

Me, Dan Weiss, soon in a few short weeks, chronological age 95, bum knees, mindset kid-like. Two cats, Frankie Weiss of NAWCC fame and book known on three continents as “Frankie Weiss and her Magic, Six Years in the Making;” Johnnie II who replaced Johnnie #1...dying after nine years and one day of unrestricted love and companionship to Frankie and me, her Mr. Mom.

Let’s first talk about Frankie Weiss and Johnnie @1; Frankie loves to wrap herself in the unmade bed sheets and catnap after I get up out of bed, Johnnie #1 reminds me of the Victor talking machine logo, the dog listening to his Masters voice. (Remember, you never master (own) a cat, they own you...lock stock and barrel.) Johnnie #1 would always rush to my bed after hearing me call her...”Johnnie come here!” Johnnie II really does not know how beautiful, as a feline, she is. When I first adopted her and held her in the palm of my hand, at one pound-four ounces, her tortoiseshell marking were immediately apparent to me as to her future growth and beauty. The long silky fur, soft to the touch and furry bushy tail only emphasizes her heritage.

Johnnie II’s job in life, (she thinks,) is to groom her boss cat Frankie Weiss whenever the desire comes into her cat’s mind and that is many times a day. She’ll jump to my bed and try to convey her love for me, endlessly, but only when she’s in that certain mood. She’s one feline with many moods. I thought I knew a little bit about cat body language, but Johnnie II proves me rather stupid when it comes to reading her feline movement language.

The following scene will elaborately prove my stupidity.

Happening...maybe two, three days ago, since Frankie no longer has the ability to jump to the bed height; I gently lift her to the bed and move over to the computer in the bedroom (my knees, meanwhile, remind me of days when I was younger) and would have no trouble lifting Frankie to the bed. (Frankie would not need my help, were she three, four years younger.) At the computer I’m composing my usual dribble. Frankie has buried herself in the bed sheet wrapped around her like a cocoon and is catnapping.

Johnnie II enters the bedroom, her nose a thousand times more sensitive than a human’s telling her Frankie is on the bed under the sheet. She jumps to the bed and begins pawing around, trying to get Frankie to come out from under the sheet. No use, Frankie sleeps on. Johnnie jumps on the sleeping Frankie. Frankie with her paws under the sheet tries to thwart off Johnnie, who in the meantime, gets more frustrated as well as agitated and begins trying to bite Frankie under the sheet. This Frankie finds far too much over the top and exists from under the sheet and with her tail moving in an ever so slightly slow and short angry manner, I can tell she’s one mad cat...Johnnie II realizes the boss cat has had enough of her youthful exuberance and shenanigans departs the bedroom at the speed cats can run...31 miles an hour. Another episode in the Weiss cat house comes to a close.

And further proof that after 13 years, I still cannot read their moods

38. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #38 dweiss17, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010

About 6 weeks ago, I wrote John Webb, one of the NAWCC Message Board administrators suggesting we need a new Forum entitled “Members News and Views.” One day I woke up, turned on the computer, and realized that what I asked of John Webb had been accomplished and it is administrated by John Hubby.

In this new forum we are not restricted to Horology, we can write about anything that comes to mind, just as long as it is in good taste and does not vilify anyone with content not appropriate for this new forum.

In looking at the number of hits, (I think) today’s total reads about 928, probably 25 or so are mine. While this amount of hits on a new forum less than 3 weeks old is certainly gratifying, the postings from those that view this new forum...are not. I have tried to interject a number of topics hoping for responses from our viewers and to the enlivenment of this forum.

We all have stories to tell, we have families, children, houses, cars, watches and clocks, and other pieces of horology that could draw attention from our readers and prompt them to write about any of the above subjects and many more that can and would come to mind. The subjects you may care to write about may not be fit for any other forums on our NAWCC Message Board, but surely they would find a home here, and perhaps draw response from other readers of this site. Writing about anything on this forum is the perfect home to present your thoughts, ideas and other matters that come to mind.

For example: I have floating around in my mind...stories about the new worlds I discovered over the years...these worlds involve Horology in 1964, cats (felines) in 1997, after my wife passed away. Having the then President Reagan sign a bill in 1988, that came from my thoughts...Stuttering Awareness Week...one person in every 100 worldwide has...an oral speech disfluency. We have an endless supply of subjects that will interest other people if put down on paper for them to read...you can contribute to that endless supply of stories and good thoughts that comes from the human mind. Please sit down at your computer, let the world know you are part of it!

39. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Earlier today, I was reading on some site here, that I cannot now find...it reminded me of my two cats when they were less than one year old. The posting was about someone's cat who was too lazy to even chase a mouse with two broken legs. Well, Frankie and Johnnie as youngsters were nothing like the above described cat. This is from my book "Frankie Weiss and her Magic."

The Fly That Did Not Get Away

Frankie and Johnnie are two frisky cats less than one year old when the front door bell rings. Immediately they go into guard mode, what is this doorbell ringing?
    The USP driver was delivering a package. I opened the front and storm door to sign his receipt book in my accepting the package. This was sometime in April, Unknowingly to me, a horse fly made its entrance into the house. But the fly did not escape the cats’ attention.

Going about my business at hand, I returned to the kitchen. Usually Frankie and Johnnie are underfoot and have to see what Mr. Mom is doing and can they help? My cats were not around. This was highly unusual. They did not run out of the house when the doors were opened. Where did they go and what kind of mischief did these cats get into? I went looking for them, they were not on the ground floor and coming back upstairs they were not in the living room, dining, bedroom or bathrooms and not in any of the hall closets. Finally, I went into the little den off the bedroom, success!

Frankie was on the arm of my favorite sitting chair, while agitated Johnnie was atop the cushion on a storage area I built when we first moved into the house. Both cats, faces looking at the window shade, were going wild. Shooing them out of the den, I went back to the kitchen. As soon as my back was turned, they scampered (ran) back into the den taking up their former positions.

I still had not learned enough to clue me in on their behavior in the short five months we merged into a loving family. Finally it dawned on me they were looking at the window shade, I raised it, and a horse fly was buzzing around, desperately, trying to escape from a closed window. From the cats view, who and what was this thing invading their home. No wonder they were going bonkers.

Now knowing what was happening, I let them be and went back into the kitchen to finish what I had been doing before the USP man rang the doorbell. Had Frankie or Johnnie been able to get at the fly, I’m sure its natural life would have been short lived. Some time later, hunger took over; the fly no longer interested them.

As it was, the next morning I raised the window shade, the fly was lying on its back, alongside the window latch. It had perished in its ordeal trying to escape.

The lesson learned; Frankie and Johnnie, their jungle instincts still intact, were protecting their territory, home and Mr. Mom.

40. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan and all, could I suggest that a new thread be started just to manage your calendar efforts? That way neither the correspondence or photos that may be posted will be "buried" in this one thread. Also, I can move the posts from this thread related to your calendars to the new thread so they will all be together. Let me know, it's easy to do.

I'll certainly be willing to contribute some clock photos, I have plenty from my own collection that could be of interest.

41. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    John:

Please do whatever necessary to get this off the ground.

Everyone's efforts will help benefit the NAWCC.

Should you desire to start a new Forum for the 2012 Clock Calendar, please do so!

Thanks much,

Dan

42. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, it's all done. Check out the NAWCC Watch and Clock Calendar thread, you can continue there to let us know what to do to help get this project completed.

It appears you may have thought this thread is the whole Forum, actually there are now six independent threads in the new "Member News and Views FORUM". Take a look at the whole FORUM, not just this thread, to see how many hits we are getting.

Thanks for your efforts!!

43. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my cat, Molly, counting cars going by the house. Even got the E.N. Welch clock in the picture by accident. 76542.jpg

44. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Richiec:

Your cat counting the cars as they go by, seems to be the classic Tortoiseshell...SHE'S A FEMALE!

I read years go, about 4000 in one male cats are born to the breed. Making that cat worth much more than many good pocket watches or clocks.

The Tortoiseshell is the result of a mixture of other cats...hybrid. They have blotches of color...while the the tortoiseshell calico have patches or streaks of the colors. My johnnie II is the prettiest calico I have had the good forune to ever see. 76594.jpg

45. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    This afternoon I looked up the word GRATITUDE and its synonyms.

They are many, including appreciation, acknowledgment, grace, honor, sense of obligation, recognition, plus many more not listed here.

Antonyms: ingratitude, thanklessness.

The one that fits my thoughts best at this time in my long life is sense of obligation. Living a life as long as I have in 95 years, you experience many things to be grateful for; possibly the most rewarding is the good health you have been blessed with during this long period of your life. I do not discount interaction in family life, nor do I discount the blessing of living a life where I was able to contribute to the benefit of others, hampered by problems related to health or social matters in the course of communication.

I am also grateful to many other men and women whom took the hobby of Horology and made it such an important part of our daily lives...the last 47 years I have been engaged in this most intriguing hobby that involves so many facets of our past years and of our living each day. It reminds me of the obligation we owe our forbearers who invented and made the wheels, gears arbors, and other parts of clocks and watches that keeps our lives running with equilibrium of checks and balances, and keep us standing on our respective feet.

We also have a huge sense of obligation to the 52 Founders of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors for creating on November 7, 1943...the first semblance of an Association that at one time numbered more than 38,000 members, today, for many reasons far beyond our personal control, it has dwindled to some 18,000 dues paying members across the known world we live in.

With the help of our Communications Director Markus Harris, who supplied the name and ascension numbers of these revered 52 men and women who were responsible for our beginnings, a Plaque now hangs on the walls of our Columbia PA Museum of Horology for our 12,000 yearly visitors to see and to read. Part of my personal sense of obligation has been repaid by seeing to it that these people were finally honored.

In a few short weeks a letter from me to the Officers and Directors of our Association at their meeting December 3-5, 2010, will be read; this letter will find its way to the reporting of the December meeting in their minutes in the MART. Hoping they will accede to my request to honor our more than 200(?) members whom have given 50 years of service to the NAWCC. In the letter I offered (suggested) 3 ways to raise the needed $1400-$1500 to pay for two Plaques, celebrating their unusual long time of 50 years in the NAWCC.

I’m flabbergasted in wondering how many other associations can boast of about 200 people, devoted to a membership, in an organization that has gone on for over half a lifetime.

We as members of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors can do no less than honor these ladies and gentlemen with their names and ascension numbers on plaques Celebrating 50 years of Membership.

After the December meeting ends, whether my thought to honor these 50 year members is taken up or not...I think it may be proper to publish the letter here...on Member News and Views...Better minds than mine can decide this point. Attached is a sample of the proposed plaque(s). 76677.jpg

46. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Having just finished the above posting, another thought arises...in doing so, we simply are nourishing our heritage by honoring these men and women, deservedly so, with Plaques denoting their contributions to our combined “World of Horology.” Doing so, is more than proper.

47. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

Not having a reputation as a writer of any note, and not putting down your points on paper before composing your message...you are bound to forget some point you wished to make. Here’s one I missed and did not make in my earlier posting:

Markus Harris in doing some research on the proposed plaque “Celebrating 50 year Membership in the NAWCC;” came up with this figure of cost for 50 years of membership from November 7, 1943 to November 7, 1993, a total of $1342.00. Taking the cost number a little farther times 200 for 50 year members it = $268,400. 50 year membership from a later date would have cost even more than $1342.

Another point...many of our members paid chapter dues and often donated much more to the Association than mere paid dues...in the form of monetary donations and bequests, horological material such as clocks, watches, tools, books, letters, ephemera and other items that have a bent to horology; resulting in the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Museum being foremost in America.

48. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #48 dweiss17, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
    Today, when I opened my Outlook Express email, I received a pleasant surprise. Laurie Conti, Secretary of Chapter 75, (CA) had once more given me an honor that perhaps, I did not deserve.

Laurie published a story in the “Regulator” regarding the Plaque featuring our 52 Founding Fathers. What I had pursued and done was only part of my gratitude to these men and women to whom we are all indebted for creating the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. It goes without saying: this NAWCC has happily been part of my life for the past 47 years and has kept my mind active with its many phases of Horology. The NAWCC is a boon to anyone intrigued with the aspect of its history, mechanics, collecting and its sheer beauty of both clocks and watches; reflecting the skills of those that have gone before us, both overseas and here in America.

If you cannot open the tag line, go to Google: type in “Regulator November 2010, Chapter 75.”

http://www.nawcc-ch75.com/newsletters/RegulatorNovember2010.pdf

49. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Today is Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, November 26, 2010. It is a day when many shoppers seek out possible bargains for their Xmas shopping list. Tomorrow, November 27, 2010, makes 13 years when first...Frankie Weiss and I met face to face at the Marlton Animal Hospital, NJ.

I had driven there to possibly adopt two cats to help ease the loneliness, I still felt seven months later, after Evelyn passed away short of two weeks of 39 years of blessed marriage. The house echoed with silence and needed some life in it to help me get over the doldrums of living in a house that once was a home...a home that had her touch in every room I walked into.

I could explain the three great loves of my life by saying, “Evelyn was number one”. Frankie Weiss, being a living presence had to be number two. Thirdly, I have a little trouble saying this, the years I spent making me a part of a great organization, the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors has had an immense influence on my life. Many were the years that Evelyn was part of the many Chapter 1 meetings and Regionals and National Conventions we attended and those happy times cannot be discounted. However;

I’m regressing from what I started to write about...Frankie Weiss. And, the years she has been part of my life that kept me so enthralled with her daily activities deserve not to be ignored. While the NAWCC has given succor to a life that would be much less without it...Frankie Weiss and her love for me and my love for her has to take precedence over the years I have spent as a member of the NAWCC.

Attached is excerpt from the book “Frankie Weiss and her Magic; Six years in the making.”

It’s been five years, six months and some days since our eyes first met, locking in an embrace that spoke of “Love at First Sight” as we looked into each other’s soul. I’ve never heard of felines having souls or for that matter any animal other than the human being. Notwithstanding that thought, in my opinion, any living creature has a soul. Having a soul begets feelings, emotions, love, nurturing, hurt, depression and all the unexplainable things that go into the spirituality of that being. Cats do fit that description.

This little Calico cat with big black eyes rimmed yellow green stood looking at me in her cage as she captured my heart. Previously, when she turned around upon hearing me walk into the cage room her presence bespoke of a personality not common amongst the species of animal she represented. The way she cocked her beautiful head as our eyes first met; the way she stood looking at me, searching into my very being, the way her black, cinnamon tinged reddish, and white, furry tri-colors framed her small body put me into an overwhelming desire to take this intriguing Calico in my arms, to begin hugging and kissing her pretty head and telling her, “I love you.” However, I think she already knew we were to be soul mates ‘til death do us part.

Frankie, (I named her later) stood still relentlessly absorbed, kept looking into the eyes of her future adoptive Mr. Mom. I told the attendant I wanted her as my first choice; having gone to the Marlton Animal Hospital to adopt two cats, but this Calico really put me in a place where a father sees his newborn child for the first time. That’s the feeling I suppose all loving males go through when they become parents. It was a first time for me; my marriage had produced no children. This little five-month-old Calico cat instantly defined for me, a new role in life; I was to be a father to her, in the very least a Mr. Mom. Who took on the responsibility of her well-being and her future welfare with the hope of our sharing a long happy, loving and beneficial life together.

50. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    PLEASE READ…try to reply:

About 8 weeks ago, I wrote John Webb asking him to permit and create a new Forum entitled...Members News and Views. The thought was granted. The results are beyond belief, according to the number of hits generated since its inception.

Doing a little arithmetic, noticing at the time of this posting Members News and Views has had 1397 hits. Hits that are far beyond my wildest dreams and I dream pretty good!

I will not go into the offshoots of the original posting, they are many. About 5 new Forums and over 900 hits.

Deploring that so many read the postings on “The dreamer in me, lives on” and so few respond, it makes one wonder what has this modern computer age gotten us into:

I, personally, made 32 postings, 17 replies followed from other NAWCC members. Deducting 49 from 1397 hits that leaves 1348 non-responses. Am I expecting too much from our membership when it comes to replies from postings that have nothing to do with Horology? I’ll wager that 99.9% of those reading these postings had more schooling, more education than I have had. From these statistics it may seem people have forgotten how to write, how to correspond with others, in a manner, agreeing or not agreeing with the postings they read on this Forum. Many subjects were put down on the above postings; surely some of them could call for a reply...except for a very few, the lack of response is overwhelming.

Are we so caught up in ourselves and our personal thoughts that we have no time to respond to a Forum that is expressly set up for that purpose...to let our imaginations, our thoughts, our view point, to let them go and respond to a posting here that drew your attention and perhaps curiosity.

Once again, I’ll put down here things we can write about other than Horology...our children, this past Thanksgiving, our families, the last movie we saw, our pets who are part of the immediate family, the cars we drive, something we read in the newspaper or on our computer screens, the economy, TV shows we watch, friends we made or miss, the amount of Spam we get on our computers, your jobs, age of your home, what you do to keep active, etc., etc., etc.

Almost anything you care to write about as long as it is within bounds of decency and fair play...could and would be welcome on this site.