The dreamer in me lives on

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Apr 9, 2016.

  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

    dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

    Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Often, over the years, I have remarked that our journey through these horologic sites are so important to the hobby in which we become involved; and, will lead us to people that we will never have the opportunity to meet in person or even share a meal with or just converse with about our explicit horologic interests.

    In my fifty-one years as an NAWCC member, the friends I met through these horologic websites or Chapter meetings, regionals and conventions are far beyond count. Many of them have passed on to another world and while in my memory banks they still exist. I can name names, possibly many familiar to much of our membership. I can recall their faces and if I heard one of their voices today…it would surely be recognized. Such is the impact so many of these people have made on me. Just being in their company or having them discuss a watch or clock or its merits has given me more than friendship…it was a lesson in learning about a subject dear to my heart and to my intellect as a member of this horologic world I still live in…even after the passage of over half a lifetime.

    Living beyond the average age of the human being - while in good health as far as I know…except for my bum knees…I still dream of accomplishing even more in a lifetime that has already accomplished much. I will note only one of my dreams coming true…How many people do you know that had a President of the United States sign into law a Proclamation? Every second week in May is now known as National Stuttering Awareness Week…an idea proposed by me and carried through with the help of others in the stuttering community.

    An idea that helped the oral handicapped person who stutters; it brought awareness to the public here in the USA and in many countries overseas. Fully 80% of children who stutter will outgrow the affliction. The remaining 20% like me…will sometimes go through a living hell…this handicap can affect every part of your life…education, friendship, workplace and advancement, opposite sex and friendship, marriage and even in bringing children into the world.

    Go to any place in this wide world you will see people in conversation…sometimes for the orally handicapped…conversation with another person can prove to be very trying and discouraging. We know of young people who have committed suicide because of this handicap.

    Statistics tell us one person in every 100 worldwide has an oral [speaking] problem.

    For me at 100 years and 120 days of life; as a person who stutters, I still dream of more accomplishments to come.
  2. Tyler K

    Tyler K Registered User
    Student Member NAWCC

    Oct 23, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You should be very proud of your accomplishments! Many people will never have an accomplishment like what you've done with the National Stuttering Awareness Week. Your accomplishment affects so many people all over the country!
  3. David S

    David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

    Dec 18, 2011
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan National Stuttering Awareness week is coming up.

    I had a work colleague that was plagued with the same issue. Some how he managed to get it under control, although when I watch him present to a group he seems to if to try and recover.

    I am interested in the nature of your stuttering. If I were to phone you and chat with you on the phone would your propensity to stutter be the same as if we were to chat face to face?

    The reason for my asking is that if we were to do a PM and give each other a phone number I would like to have a chat sometime.

    All the best


Share This Page