The dreamer has a dream

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Dec 1, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Frank del Greco:

For many years I have been an advocate of some of our learned members going into the high schools and colleges with a set program devised by people smarter than I…featuring horologic history, slides pictures of watches and clocks, with actual samples that the student can hold in his hand and hear them ticking and giving the interested young person a free membership for a limited time.

We are constantly losing members to attrition, to illnesses, to lack of interest and perhaps too much in membership dues. We are supposed to be an educational by-product of our non-profit standing.

Time we start to try to reverse our membership loss by going where the 'fish' are "Our high schools, colleges, and other places of learning." Even to groups of older people.

When fishing…you need bait…our best bait would be interesting educational horologic programs presented to the 'fish'.

I'm known as a dreamer…I had dreams about NAWCC projects and made them come true. We need other dreamers who would go to our schools of learning and other places and give of their spirit in attracting our future members. It can be done.

What do you think?

[FONT=&amp]Dan[/FONT]

2. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dan, Frank,

I often wondered whether there was a connection to the sciences in the middle/high schools; mathematics, physics, the mechanics of timepieces, the chemistry in play during the cleaning of a clock, etc.

Dick

3. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 FDelGreco, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
    Dan:

I posted earlier that the ED's stats show that there are more members in the 90+ age bracket than there are in the 30 - 39 age bracket; and 74% of our membership are seniors.

Our Association is as much of a social organization, with its chapter, regional, and national meetings, as it is a technical or collectors' organization. Remember back when you were in your teens or 20s. You didn't want to hang around with "old guys" - those with white hair that had a completely different approach to life. They talked as much about their aches and pains as they did anything else. (Nowadays when I have lunch with my retiree friends, we talk as much about Medicare as anything else!) Why would today's teens and young adults want to do that, either?

It's my opinion, for what it's worth, that until we infiltrate our membership with young people, we won't be able to get young people. That becomes a chicken and egg thing.

I can remember when I was at work in my early fifties trying to convince a young engineer in his late twenties to starting putting money into the company's 401(k) plan. He told me he needed his discretionary money to buy a pool table and a big screen TV. Do you think I had any chance of talking him into getting a few clocks or watches and starting a hobby or a collection?

But why do we need young people? There are plenty of "seniors" out there - our age bracket - looking for something to do with people in their own age bracket. 10 years ago I looked at the stats from the U.S. census bureau. At that time (there are more now) there were 26 million men and 29 million women 55 - 85 years old in just the U.S. alone. We have less than 0.02% (that's two hundredths of one percent) of them. We ought to look at our own age group first. BTW, two weeks ago, we got two new members who are in their 90s.

Best regards,
    Frank

4. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are many aspects to horology. Some members are collectors, some interested in history, different kinds of time pieces etc. I enjoy the repair aspect with preference to making or repairing components rather than replacing.

When I was much younger I had a side "business" or repairing old north american small engines. Just like with our clocks, there were many many manufactures, and they too went out of business. So lots of opportunity to make parts. As I got older these things got too big and too messy for me to handle any more, so progression to repairing clocks was a great segue. Everything is smaller of course but my eye sight and coordination is still good.

I think we could reach out to older folks that have the aptitude and would like to pursue the mechanical side. Our message board is a tremendous asset for those that want to get started. The trick is to figure out how to get to them.

I am a member of only one other forum - for hobby machinists - and it has a horology section, but there hasn't been any activity there for some time.

5. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #5 dweiss17, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Frank:

Thank you for your reply…so instead of looking for the "young fish" it seems we aught to go where the older "fish" gather to talk about their ills, grandchildren, and stuff when they were much younger.

In nine days, I will have reached the age of 99 years, since I have no grandchildren or sons or daughters, I talk about my bum legs and the beautiful and loving cats I adopted about seven months after Evelyn passed away. As for doing horologic work, and I have a helluva lot old material I can work on…but as time will…it erodes the nimbleness of the digits on your hands. I look at this stuff and wish I were back to the days when I came home from work and spent half the night doing watch and clock work. I remember the first time I ever took a broken down clock apart, cleaned the brass in a big brown and white jug filled with water and cyanide pellets you could buy for that purpose at the Jeweler's row in center Philadelphia from the six or seven watch and clock suppliers…that are now a memory…they are all passé.

My friends from years back in Chapter 1 are all gone…so is the count of members who came from the surrounding States to all our meetings and filled the Holiday Inn to capacity. We had more of tables holding horologic goods than I can ever count. Our crowds were tremendous. I remember when we had our lunch break the lines were exceedingly long with members waiting to go to their tables. The tables filled a huge downstairs room with ten chairs at each table. We had waitresses galore to feed this huge, overwhelming crowd of horologic enthusiasts. Suit, shirt, tie and vest was the common dress with wives or girl friends accompanying the man.

I now am into my 50[SUP]th[/SUP] year as a member of the NAWCC and through my dreams inaugurated a few things that are now part of the Forums on our NAWCC Message Board.

I just inaugurated another first…in the mail I received a coupon from WSJwine to save $100 if I ordered their special wine deal. 15 bottles of wine…red, white or mixed for $89.99 [in CA it cost tax] so for about $97.00 I became a big shot and sent the wine to Mike Schmidt of Chapter 190 in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties…the wine will be given out as door prizes courtesy of me…who appreciates the friendship and closeness of the Chapter 190 members for honoring my 99[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday by sending a check for $1000 in my name to the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe a suitcase workshop presentation in a few senior citizen centers would work? Tools would be the biggest issue.