The "Dollar" watch, show me some of yours.

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by musicguy, Sep 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Westclox "Lasertime" still unopened.

DSCN8447.JPG DSCN8448.JPG DSCN8450.JPG DSCN8451.JPG DSCN8453.JPG DSCN8454.JPG

PW Collector, johnnypocket and PatH like this.
  2. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Assortment of boxed watches

DSCN8463.JPG DSCN8464.JPG DSCN8465.JPG DSCN8466.JPG DSCN8468.JPG DSCN8459.JPG DSCN8461.JPG DSCN8457.JPG DSCN8458.JPG DSCN8455.JPG DSCN8456.JPG

PW Collector, johnnypocket and PatH like this.
  3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Interesting watches, Jim. The Leonard is the second one we've seen in a short while. I can't say what the exact relationship between New Haven and Leonard is; possibly New Haven established Leonard as a subsidiary to market some of its watches. I found an ad about Luma in a 1920 Jewelers Circular, Vol. 81, issue 1. Note that both Leonard and New Haven are listed as users of Luma.

The Jewelers' Circular

Another from a 1919 edition of Colliers.

Collier's

johnnypocket likes this.
  4. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I found this little tidbit in an online version of Time Telling through the Ages, by Harry Brearley. It was published in 1919 by Doubleday, Page & Co. for Robert H. Ingersoll & Brothers.

The Project Gutenberg eBook of Time Telling Through the Ages, by Harry C. Brearley.

It's about 2/3 of the way down in a chronology of American watch manufacturing.

"1911

The Leonard Watch Company of Boston, Massachusetts, was incorporated for the purpose of selling and distributing watches."

johnnypocket and PatH like this.
  5. Tim Fitzgerald

Tim Fitzgerald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Artist
    Oak island North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are my running ones ,I have a bunch that need repair

20190120_160314_resized.jpg

6. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow, Jim, you really did find some beauties at Lexington! What a haul. Thanks for sharing the pics so we can see these really unusual examples.

Tim, thanks for sharing your watches also. Most of mine would need to join yours in the non-running category, but I still love them. Each one tells its own story.

Pat

Tim Fitzgerald likes this.
  7. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No photos as most are gone, but this year at our chapter Christmas party, I gave away dollar watches as door prizes, the membership loved it. They were all in so-so condition and hadn't sold for even $5-10 each so to thin my herd, I gave the chapter a treat.

johnnypocket, Tim Fitzgerald and PatH like this.
  8. Tim Fitzgerald

NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Artist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I showed this $ watch along with my others, can anyone tell me more about it. Did they sell these at NAWCC events ?
    ?

20190121_111841_resized.jpg

9. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User

Aug 25, 2000
    PatH likes this.
  10. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  11. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tim, I bought one of these a couple of years ago. The gentleman who sold it to me said that they were given to registrants at the Regional. A chapter member designed the dial and had them printed. They bought the watches and several Chapter member families got together to add the dials to the watches. There were some left after the show. As I recall, he said those were sold which enabled them to break even. (Any errors in the telling of this story are mine, based on my recollection.) If anyone knows the history of these or any of the other NAWCC commemorative watches, I would love to hear about them. These are really fun additions to our dollar watch collections.

Pat

12. Tim Fitzgerald

NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Artist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  13. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are several Ingersoll Midgets pictured in previous posts in this thread. I won't try to quote them all here, but did think about sharing this Midget today. It appears to be a tribute to Kaiser Wilhelm II. I've seen this watch with other images/combinations of images of Wilhelm and others on the dial. There is also a New Haven Clock Co tribute watch that is pictured in Steve Berger's Dollar Watch Pictorial in the August 2006 Bulletin. (I'm still looking for one of those!)

DSC04180.JPG DSC04182.JPG DSC04183.JPG

14. Fritz Katzenjammer

Fritz Katzenjammer Yeah... that Fritz....
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Manufacturing Engineer
    My garage usually... Burlington, Ont.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dad's first watch as a boy in the thirties was a used Dax, so I obviously had to have one!

P1000458.JPG P1000479.JPG

made in 1973, this thing sounds like an idling diesel when I'm silly enough to wind it up.

15. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They definitely let you know they're around, don't they? :)

Thanks for sharing your watch as well as the memories of your dad having had a Dax.
    Pat

16. Fritz Katzenjammer

NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Manufacturing Engineer
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    He said he had a few of them, bought off his older brother. They used to stop regularly at which time he would take them all apart, soak them in lamp oil and reassemble the now mixed parts at which point one would run... maybe two if he was lucky!

Grandad Olaf gave his Longines the lamp oil treatment when it would stop. Soak it, shake it off and leave open on the porch to dry for the afternoon. Damn thing put up with that treatment for years! I've still got his old Longines and it still runs well although the cannon pinion currently slips a bit and could therefore use a but of service... or perhaps a touch of lamp oil and an afternoon in the sun.

17. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We could probably do without the lamp oil, but an afternoon in the sun might be the remedy for many things.

Enjoy your watches1

18. johnnypocket

johnnypocket Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #368 johnnypocket, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Well to keep it going I'll show my 2 newest adds.....I am always after a Ingersoll I don't have, and the 1942 Criterion fits that bill. I am also building my "other than" Westclox and Ingersoll" collection. I liked the look of the Ingraham Top Notch from 1956.Lets keep it going love to see what we all have. Gives us a good reason to get back in the bins. It always gets me changing my display. Thats part of the fun.
    s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg

19. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    @johnnypocket This Criterion also seems to be an Ingersoll, but a different movement (Townsend's plate 34) and definitely a different serial number format. This one is newer than what I normally collect, but it came in a lot of watches that also included the 1907 New Haven Jamestown watch also pictured here. You never know what's going to turn up in a lot of watches.

DSC04497.JPG DSC04499.JPG DSC04480.JPG DSC04484.JPG DSC04481.JPG

20. johnnypocket

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #370 johnnypocket, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Hi Pat, Thanks for the info....it is a mystery Ingersoll at best....I can't find much history on it....I usually find what I can about it....not a word in the Engle Gudebook at all about the criterion.....the Townsend DW book on page 39 has the name both used by Ingersoll and Ingraham.....the name is both on page 12 for Ingraham as well as 18 for Ingersoll....the SN follows the 42 issue as well as the plate reference on page 16.....All as it is Im going RHI....Either way...Ill take a WW2 era piece.....and its a solid runner....Thanks again...John

PatH likes this.
  21. johnnypocket

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well technically not a DW but my newest addition, you may say the pretty face got me..lol.....These , at least to me, are quasi DW,s. Anything Ingersoll is always a love of us DW lovers. These 12s 4j "Waterburys beauties were a step up in appearances and must have been considered quite the threat to the "Big Gun" competitors. This one is keeping perfect time, has been recently serviced and has apparently led a charmed life. This one will find its way into my carry stock. I have quite a few Waterburys and just can't seem to say no when one is up for adoption.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg

22. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Once an Ingersoll, always an Ingersoll - the first ones were made by Waterbury and the last ones were made by Waterbury. And we love them all!!

johnnypocket and musicguy like this.
  23. johnnypocket

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No doubt Pat. I wish I had a time machine and a 2 week vacation. Waterbury, Waltham, Lancaster and Elgin in the 1890's here I come....oops I better bring a car with me if I'm fitting Illinois in, hey LaSalle/Peru too...okay I'll stay a month...lol

24. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You better throw in New Haven, Bristol, and a few other stops while you're there. Oh what a trip that would be!

johnnypocket likes this.
  25. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ran across this watch again today and thought I would post since we haven't seen many Ansonia watches here.

Mattsson Jewelry seems to have been around quite awhile - a quick search found ads in 1911 and 1913 as well as a note in the June 21,1922 Jewelers' Circular about Mr Mattson having been visiting in Seattle. Today, Aberdeen WA is probably better known as the birthplace of musician Kurt Cobain.

DSC06265.JPG DSC06268.JPG

26. PW Collector

PW Collector Registered User

Aug 3, 2003
    PatH, I think this will be the 8th Ansonia I have posted.
    It is the Ansonia Daytime.
    The movement is marked A24. Drawing of this style movement on p.6, plate 4 of Townsend's book.
    Dave

DSCN0836.jpg IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0004.JPG

johnnypocket, PatH, Jim Haney and 2 others like this.
  27. Fritz Katzenjammer

NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Manufacturing Engineer
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rosskopf... not a dollar watch (unless 20 francs = 1 dollar in 1870s money) and certainly not American.... but where else can I post this turd!

Bought at an NAWCC mart because... well.... just because! Everybody should have a thing like this... its sorta cool and sorta totally crap at the same time.

besides, it somehow keeps time without a center wheel and it manages to sound like an idling Detroit Diesel whens it running. Which makes it more fun than my Bunn Special.

P1010798.JPG P1010797.JPG P1010796.JPG

28. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Roskopf is really pretty amazing. It was far and away the earliest design of a watch for the proletariat. It was also probably the most abused patent in terms of being stolen and used freely by competitors.

PatH likes this.
  29. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's one of mine to prove you're not the only one who has a soft spot for the Roskopf. While not truly a dollar watch, it's certainly one of the early "affordable" watches. So I think they should be allowed in this thread. ;)
    DSC05173.JPG DSC05172.JPG DSC05175.JPG

30. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Well, if folks are going to toss in non-dollar watches, I figger I should be allowed to add a non-American watch, call it a Dreigroschentaschenuhr. It is by the German maker Kienzle and is called the Crometa. I am not sure what the name Crometa is meant to convey, but it may have something to do with Chrom, which is German for chrome. The date? Maybe the 1930's, but that is a pure guess. Here is a link to one on the web. It mentions the inconspicuous bracket (or stand) to turn it into a desk clock. Pin by originalanzeigen.com on Vintage Print Ads / Reklame : Uhren / Watches | Pinterest | Vintage prints, Print ads and Watches

Dial.JPG Case Back.JPG Movement2.JPG Stand.JPG

johnnypocket, PatH and PW Collector like this.
  31. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    Steven, this one (Crometa), is like the New Haven All-Purpose watch I posted in post #41 with a black dial.
    Here is another one with a white dial.
    Dave

IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0003.JPG SCAN0119.JPG SCAN0120.JPG DSCN0567.jpg

32. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some styles have had multiple iterations - this one from the "dollar watch of the 1990s"....

DSC05126.JPG

33. johnnypocket

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Newest add, A "Pilgrim" produced by the Connecticut Watch Co. with final patent date of 1905( first as 1890). One I haven't seen available too often so I grabbed it. It's a solid runner also.Keep them dollars coming.
    upload_2019-3-5_12-45-26.png
    upload_2019-3-5_12-47-6.png
    upload_2019-3-5_12-50-18.png

34. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Please forgive me in advance for posting this Non-Dollar watch but It's not a wrist,although is has a Hamilton 6/0 #986 movement in it.

I couldn't find much like it with a internet search, just keeps showing button hole watches that actually go into a button hole, but this old Bakelite thing has a acorn leather button that goes into a button hole and the watch would hang from that in your pocket.

DSCN8994.JPG DSCN8995.JPG DSCN8996.JPG DSCN8993.JPG

35. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice watch, johnnypocket! Much nicer condition than my Pilgrim.

Looks like Ingersoll/Waterbury/(Connecticut Watch Co) produced the Pilgrim for several years. The patents are Ingersoll/Waterbury Clock Co, and/or Ingersoll, with the most recent patent date April 23, 1901. This one is shown as Townsend's Ingersoll Plate #30.

johnnypocket's seems to be a little "newer" with the most recent patent date of April 11, 1905, and shown as Townsend's Ingersoll Plate #32.

DSC04219.JPG DSC04220.JPG DSC04221.JPG

36. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great watch, Jim! Ingersoll made a similar one with a leather case in the late 1930's. They advertised it as a Coat Lapel watch. It had an Imitation leather chain that buttoned in coat lapel with the watch worn in the upper coat pocket. They also made one with what looks like a black bakelite (?) case. Here's a picture of a New Haven in a rectangular "tortoiseshell" case. I suspect that it had a similar chain and button. Wonder who was copying whom.....

DSC06525.JPG DSC06526.JPG

37. johnnypocket

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am not a FOB collector but if a watch co./factory one falls in my lap...well...you know the rest (esp. a DW factory!!!) This is a Waterbury home week one from 1915...featuring the Waterbury Clock/Watch Factory where Ingersoll made the Dollar famous and Mickey PW started in 1933. The factory still stands on Cherry ave, parts repurposed, parts in disperpair. Hope it never meets the wrecking ball.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg Waterbury+clock+buildings+framed.jpg 1480561199.jpg

PW Collector, musicguy, PatH and 3 others like this.
  38. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    This is New Haven's Tip-Top Quintet, a cousin of the Tip-Top Traveler that I posted earlier here. I assume that the case style is based on Whitehead's 1924 patent shown in that same post.
    Dial.JPG Case Back.JPG Movement.JPG

The movement carries a patent date of December 7, 1920, and also mentions that a patent is pending. The December 7, 1920, patent is this one granted to Wilson Porter.
    US1361613 Stem Wind and Set.pdf

I am toying with the idea that the movement was made between 1924 and 1927. That, however, is dependent on accepting that the patent pending is this one, also granted to Porter. The application was filed November 15, 1924, and granted April 19, 1927. Of course, I am not at all certain.
    US1625498 Stem Wind and Set.pdf

Almost forgot, the movement appears to match Plate # 62 in Townsend.

Attached Files:

39. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Found an ad picture in the expanded Townsend book for a Quintet from Montgomery Ward 1930, so yours is earlier. It doesn't show Quintet on the dial like yours has. The one with raised gilt numerals sold for $2.00 while the luminous hands and numerals version sold for $2.50.

Steven Thornberry likes this.
  40. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the info, Pat. I'm going to have to look for the expanded Townsend book.

41. johnnypocket

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I just added another BW/BS Ingersoll Yankee. I love these 19th Century watches, and I just can't seem to say no when one is looking for a home. I know we already highlighted these American classics, but like they say in " Full Metal Jacket" there are many like it but this one is mine (or something like that !!!)...I just wanted to show her off....and I may add it started on first wind and is running strong. Keep them Dollars coming.
    53762057_1048752371982102_7057133374774706176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg
    53336719_1048752771982062_2834959503789654016_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

42. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    Here is the STURDY, manufactured by The E. Ingraham Company, 1957, distributed by the Aristocrat Clock Co. New York.
    Dave

DSCN0956.JPG DSCN0957.JPG DSCN0959.jpg DSCN0961.jpg

43. Brad Maisto

Brad Maisto Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    E2705F69-E44E-4C8F-9C5A-6AB1697A4A1A.jpeg B4A126CC-6E6C-455F-94E5-4D9B60637CA9.jpeg

AB868B2D-2BC9-4BAF-90D5-CCFE06E9AAA2.jpeg
    I believe this is considered a $ watch but the box top indicates a sale price of $4.98? The other three sides of the box tout “Non-Breakable Crystal”, “Shock Resistant Made in U.S.A.” and “Anti-Magnetic”.
    Brad Maisto, KY Floral #44 Secretary

PatH likes this.
  44. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Dollar watches stopped costing a dollar in the '30's.-Cort

45. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Hello, Brad. You can find a bit of info on the Bulls Eye in an earlier post in this thread.

The "Dollar" watch, show me some of yours.

46. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another dollar watch to kick off the weekend. This one is marked Dearborn, Calumet Watch Company Chicago.

DSC06707.JPG DSC06708.JPG DSC06709.JPG

47. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #397 Jim Haney, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    I found 2 watches at the show in Wilmington, OH last week.
    This is a seldom seen International Watch Co,that I paid $4 for. Well..... it wasn't working.......and missing the second hand.......

DSCN9091.JPG DSCN9092.JPG DSCN9093.JPG DSCN9097.JPG DSCN9088.JPG DSCN9089.JPG DSCN9090.JPG DSCN9094.JPG DSCN9095.JPG

I did find these watches in Col. Townsend original small Dollar watch book, but not this later version. His Plate 47 is a match but this watch has more info on the plates, but the Pat'd dates match. He also has the Company in Newark City, NJ and the watch says Jersey City, NJ.

It is ticking right along and keep excellent time. Just needed cleaning and a new second hand

48. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A New Haven Private Label. I did have to pay up($20) for this one............ The dial was the big thing, but the Gold plated case was nice also.

The Townsend Plate diagrams show 57.63,65 as all being the movement, however the Pat'd dates stamping locations don't match the pictures,

I googled the name and Alaskana and couldn't find anything? The Name on the dial and paper in the rear cover must be from the retailer who contracted for these watches. Maybe a give away with purchase ?

The watch is in like new condition. I was responsible for the marks on the dial when I forgot to use a shield under the hands puller.

A most unusual case for a Dollar watch. It has a nice beveled glass crystal.

DSCN9076.JPG DSCN9082.JPG DSCN9079.JPG DSCN9080.JPG DSCN9081.JPG DSCN9083.JPG DSCN9084.JPG DSCN9085.JPG DSCN9086.JPG DSCN9087.JPG

PW Collector and PatH like this.
  49. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Jim,
    That watch has a great dial, case, and watch paper

Rob

50. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Nice and interesting watch, Jim. Case, movement, and guarantee paper remind me of some Leonards I have. I have always taken the movement as matching Townsend Plate 57, but 63 and 65 are also close. Below are a couple for comparison.

A Leonard Boston (note the company name on the guarantee paper):
    Case Back.JPG Dial.JPG Guarantee Paper.JPG Movement.JPG

a Leonard (no other name on dial; different style of guarantee paper)
    Case Back.JPG Dial.JPG Guarantee.JPG Movement.JPG

Here are the patent dates on mine with their respective patent numbers:

3/19/1907 US847819

6/25/1907 US857667

6/16/1908 US891097

10/27/1908 US902322

7/13/1909 US927596

2/8/1910 US948652

Yours must be a "push-to-set" movement. Leonard seems to have been established to retail and distribute New Haven pocket Watches. Perhaps A.L. Robinson was similarly established?

PW Collector, PatH and musicguy like this.