• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

The "Dollar" watch, show me some of yours.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Here's the movement from a 1901 World's Fair watch that is very similar to the Paris Expo watch. Primary differences are the color and the Ingersoll branding. This one isn't pictured in Townsend.

View attachment 587993
Could be plate 26 with damaskeening specially done for the 1901 World's Fair.

Reactions: musicguy

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I have it on non-World's Fair watches, too, so not sure what was up during that time. These other 2 aren't pictured, either. First is very similar to plate 29, but doesn't have what appears in his drawing to be a spring barrel, and the second has the addition of the engraving.

1901 Eclipse movement.JPG 1901 Triumph movement.JPG

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
We need some more dollar watches posted!

Rob

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
How about an Ansonia watch and a fob that celebrated the Sesqui-Centennial in Philadelphia in 1926? This event was a joint celebration of the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776 and the 50th anniversary of the 1876 Centennial Exposition which was also held in Philadelphia. Although referred to as a World's Fair, the Sesqui-Centennial was not included in the list of "official" World Fairs. (No reverse of the case is pictured as the watch is in an unadorned case.)

DSC04453.JPG DSC04456.JPG DSC04460.JPG

jagrieff

Jun 4, 2020
Country
Region
Thanks Steven - I missed it. Can anyone explain the function of the Sterling Watch mechanism I have circled? as it is not present on my example.

View attachment 586223

John
John,

You've circled the tension spring that facilitates the second counter pinion moving smoothly. I have a number of Pastor stop watches and this tension spring seems to only be present when the movement is labeled "Sterling Watch Company". All of my unmarked watches do not have the tension spring. Perhaps these were a lower grade? I have one in the original box with instructions - pictures are below.

Jeff Grieff
IMG_2004.jpeg IMG_2005.jpeg IMG_2022.jpeg IMG_2023.jpeg IMG_2042.jpeg IMG_2043.jpeg

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Here are a couple, an Ingraham Cord and a Westclox Scotty, both run. The enamel is a little rough on the Cord, though about getting my wife to touch it up but didn't want to ruin the "patina". At our chapter Christmas party a couple of years ago I gave away most of my dollar watches as door prizes, being that nobody wanted to spend more than $5 to buy them, they loved it, didn't see anyone shy away from a free watch. The third watch is an inexpensive, 7 jewel swiss watch that actually runs very well and keeps time.

IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1696.JPG

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
How about an Ansonia watch and a fob that celebrated the Sesqui-Centennial in Philadelphia in 1926? This event was a joint celebration of the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776 and the 50th anniversary of the 1876 Centennial Exposition which was also held in Philadelphia. Although referred to as a World's Fair, the Sesqui-Centennial was not included in the list of "official" World Fairs. (No reverse of the case is pictured as the watch is in an unadorned case.)

513794-fd3172fb1f11c484bb3e755d67cced6b.jpg 513796-73c1182559c59fb1493f1b36bb62110e.jpg 513797-93cc38ebc30fd2de68e54a0a5d88093e.jpg
Very cool, luvsthetick! Your Bradley celebrates 50 years of progress since this one!

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Not actual dollar watch pictures, and from a time when the watches no longer cost $1, but these photographs help give us an idea how Ingersoll watches were advertised in the past. In the early days, Ingersoll had their advertising on one side of a billboard and sold the other side to advertise such products as Cascarets, thus reducing their advertising costs.

Ingersoll billboard photo 1.jpg Ingersoll billboard photo 2.jpg Ingersoll billboard photo 3.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Below is an English watch by Smith's. It is, I believe, from 1970 (thus the 70 on the movement - not easy to read in the picture.) The movement is similar (perhaps same-ilar) to those in the Ingersoll Ltd. watches I posted in post # 343 above (The "Dollar" watch, show me some of yours.). All three are very like Ingersoll plate 34 in Townsend. For a bit of information on the relationship of Ingersoll and Smith, the following thread might be useful. Smiths Pocket Watch Identification

Dial.JPG Case Back.JPG Inside Case Back.JPG Movement2.jpg

johnnypocket

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2017
Long Island, N.Y.
Country
Region
Hi all....don't think I shared this one....this one is the "holy grail" of Pocket Bens". I finally found a mint running Style 3....It took a while as they were only produced 8 months, from 8/32 to 4/33. Finding a survivor was tough, but was worth the effort to complete the PB collection. I had a dial and case before and thought that would be all I ever found of this one, and low and behold a mint runner found me about a month ago. A fellow posted as a show and tell on a FB site i'm on for DW's....and like a mobster(which i'm definitely not...lol), I made him a offer he can't refuse.Westclox Pocket Ben Style 3 upload_2020-7-4_12-52-41.png upload_2020-7-4_12-54-24.png

Last edited:

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Nice, johnnypocket! Am I reading the movement date correctly - 9 32? If so, one of the early ones. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: johnnypocket

johnnypocket

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2017
Long Island, N.Y.
Country
Region
Nice, johnnypocket! Am I reading the movement date correctly - 9 32? If so, one of the early ones. Thanks for sharing.
Yes Pat, August,1932 to April 1933 produced and this is a 9/32 production date. It took me literally years of searching every avenue I could. Then when I wasn't even expecting it was right there. Life can happen like that. Sure glad I looked that day. I didn't have a very good poker face. I paid up for it.....but I paid more for mediocre jeweled pieces, so to me it was a no brainer, because it closed out my all style PB collection and ended a long search.

Last edited:

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
I have seen several Bull's Eye Dollar Watches by Columbia Time La Salle, Il. Made for the NAWCC to use as souvenirs for the annual conventions.

I found this one recently for the 25th one in 1968 in the Original box and the watch is like new. I wound it and it took right off and has kept time for 24 hours, The Manf. date stamped into the dial plate is 6 -67

DSCN2243.JPG DSCN2241.JPG DSCN2244.JPG DSCN2236.JPG DSCN2240.JPG DSCN2237.JPG DSCN2242.JPG DSCN2245.JPG DSCN2246.JPG DSCN2247.JPG

I also ran across this one from the 32 nd and have an extra

DSCN2248.JPG

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I have seen several Bull's Eye Dollar Watches by Columbia Time La Salle, Il. Made for the NAWCC to use as souvenirs for the annual conventions.

I found this one recently for the 25th one in 1968 in the Original box and the watch is like new. I wound it and it took right off and has kept time for 24 hours, The Manf. date stamped into the dial plate is 6 -67
Nice watch, Jim. Columbia Time Products seems to have been a name used by Westclox in the 1950's to 1960's, which would fit with the NAWCC's Silver Jubilee convention and the manufacturing date. The movement is very similar to Westclox Plate 82 in Townsend.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Fun watch! Since it's relatively recent based on the style and Spiderman, I'm not sure of the collectibility. I'll look to others who are more versed in the current character watch market to weigh in on that. If you open the back, is there a date code on the movement?

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
My Spidey sense is signaling that this is a fantasy piece and not a licensed factory product. No judgement can be passed without in-hand examination but you could check for these clues. With the bezel off check to see if the dial is printed on metal or paper. If on paper, which I suspect, look closely with a loupe to detect if it was printed with color xerox.. -Cort

watchbob

NAWCC Member
May 8, 2009
Spencerville Ohio & Winter Haven Florida
Country
is a snap back only - one piece body & bezel - movement has plastic escape & 4th wheel - metal dial as I can see the clips over the front plate -
didn't take the movement out the back - it's a pain for me to get the stem to release - I looked at the dial with high Magnification & don't see any sign of pixels - I got a Star Trek one also

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Seems to be time for another dollar watch.. How about an International Watch Company (not to be confused with IWC!) roulette watch?

DSC06940.JPG DSC06944.JPG

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Everyone needs at least one dollar watch. Nice find, Mike!

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Darrah, here is a Century Of Progress with a different dial, also a leather strap fob & a belt fob.
Dave

IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0003.JPG PICT0001.jpg PICT0001.jpg IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0007.jpg
PW Collector is there any indication on the watch or box that they came from Sears, Roebuck? Another forums member shared a page from the 1933 Sear, Roebuck catalog where they were advertising this watch, with a blue enameled fob with in image very similar to the belt hook in your group. The Sears fob wouldn't have fit in your box as it was rectangular. The verbiage at the top of the catalog page is that these were exclusive designs by Sears designers, obtainable only at Sears. This case appears to have been designed and patented by Charles Oppenheim who also designed the Lindbergh New York to Paris case and fob. The Century of Progress was not assigned to Sears, however, the Lindbergh case and fob designs were.

Attachments

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
PatH,
I cannot find any indication or reference to Sears & Roebuck on the watch, box or fobs.
The back of the box is a U.S. Postal address From & To & a place to affix a .03 postage stamp.
The back of the belt fob is stamped FRENCH SILVER PLATE
The strap fob back is the manufacture stamp, GREENDUCK CO. CHI.
I seldom visit here anymore, because every time I change a page from or to a posting, the site makes me re-log on. It is to frustrating for this old man.
I will try to post a couple of photos.
Dave

75C8525F-A899-4CE8-8C19-F1B8E562088C.jpeg A2E1A81A-7FB0-4A0D-B0E2-E134A6C96337.jpeg 7EC37B90-B21C-4EFA-BE8E-72D5EAA26DC9.jpeg B78256A8-F891-4AD7-8825-4F295B575083.jpeg 0CD67AC8-CE5F-435C-B1CE-993845F9C983.jpeg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Pat,
That not fair quoting a 2-3 year old post, I had to look back over 10 pages of post to find it :)

Anything with Century of Progress 1933 is related to the Chicago World's Fair held in 1933-34.

century of progress chicago 1933 - Google Search
At least I copied the post. :D
I was working on the Commemorative watch - history lesson program and ran across the ad showing that the Ingersoll watch and a fob were sold by Sears, and remembered Dave's post. I have 3 different Century of Progress commemorative watches, but have never found information about any of them actually being sold at the Fair - other than the Mickey Mouse watches which aren't really commemorative. Found the design patents for the pictured watch and one by Westclox, but still looking for the third one of Ft Dearborn.

PatH,
I cannot find any indication or reference to Sears & Roebuck on the watch, box or fobs.
The back of the box is a U.S. Postal address From & To & a place to affix a .03 postage stamp.
The back of the belt fob is stamped FRENCH SILVER PLATE
The strap fob back is the manufacture stamp, GREENDUCK CO. CHI.
I seldom visit here anymore, because every time I change a page from or to a posting, the site makes me re-log on. It is to frustrating for this old man.
I will try to post a couple of photos.
Dave
Thank you for the additional pics and descriptions, Dave! The search continues.....

AndrewL

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2021
Country
Hello fellow dollar watchers, I have visited this thread many times before I had an account, and I’ve always wanted to be able to participate in this thread because I love dollar watches! To start off, I present to you a rather tattered and beaten up Coronado dollar watch (that also may have been in a flood at some point in time). (This watch came to me in a random parts lot completely disassembled floating around in a plastic baggie with the balance wheel and hair spring still attached to the plate so it’s amazing I was able to reincarnate this thing) anyway, these Coronado dollar watches were made by Westclox exclusively for Gambles department stores. This particular example was made June 1965 411AB9F3-1B87-4470-B5E0-E7FCB52F5300.jpeg image.jpg 8B7B4A7C-8FD4-4ADB-BC77-1992B96AE9E4.jpeg

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Andrew,

Welcome to the NAWCC Forum!!

Rob

Reactions: AndrewL

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

AndrewL

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2021
Country
Now here is an interesting one that I have not been able to find any information on, pretty sure it is one of the first generation Ansonia 18 size pocket watches, but the thing is it has a green dial instead of your typical standard white paper dial (this watch originally would’ve had the standard nickel finish on it, but at some point it looks like someone took 50 grit sandpaper to the poor thing. I would also like to note that it seems that both the Ansonia “A” logo and hour markings 1-3 have been worn off and at some point, probably while it was still in use it looks like somebody re-created the numerals with a pencil) if anybody can dig up any information on this thing, such as the model it would be well appreciated! AA85312C-BA70-48B9-BEDD-1F9ADDFA09C7.jpeg 012D588B-5E96-409F-801A-8C4474FB005F.jpeg DD99CFD6-C82A-4F1F-9010-A960F690BEC1.jpeg

Reactions: PatH and musicguy

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Love seeing your dollar watches. Thanks for sharing them.

I have some other dollar watches whose dials have acquired a greenish tint. I don't know if it's some type of corrosion from the movement, or something else like oil or moisture that causes it. You can see on this watch that the green is not consistent across the entire dial.

Pat

Ingersoll Womans world adv watch 2.JPG

AndrewL

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2021
Country
Love seeing your dollar watches. Thanks for sharing them.

I have some other dollar watches whose dials have acquired a greenish tint. I don't know if it's some type of corrosion from the movement, or something else like oil or moisture that causes it. You can see on this watch that the green is not consistent across the entire dial.

Pat

View attachment 645296
I never really took oil or other environmental contaminants into account, but it does actually seem like a possible answer to the mystery of the Green dial, as I know some old watch oils were green. Also, you’re welcome for showing my dollar watches, more to come soon! I am a personal fan of the really strange and obscure early models (I like back wind back set watches, although I only have one. I also have a Waterbury series E, and an Alton), but prices on eBay have been absolutely ridiculous lately, I mean, $20 plus shipping is outrageous for a late model bull’s-eye!

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I mean, $20 plus shipping is outrageous for a late model bull’s-eye
I use a lot of patience and wait for one at the right price or wait till
it doesn't sell the first time around. Then I make them an offer
sometimes. Some of the dollar watches like the Waterbury's can get expensive.

Rob

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I am a personal fan of the really strange and obscure early models (I like back wind back set watches, although I only have one. I also have a Waterbury series E, and an Alton), but prices on eBay have been absolutely ridiculous lately, I mean, $20 plus shipping is outrageous for a late model bull’s-eye!
I haven't read back through this thread in a while, but IIRC there are quite a few of the early Waterbury Watch Co models posted, as well as some back wind/back set New Haven, Waterbury Clock Co and Ingersoll models. This thread is like a dollar watch history lesson!

AndrewL

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2021
Country
I use a lot of patience and wait for one at the right price or wait till
it doesn't sell the first time around. Then I make them an offer
sometimes. Some of the dollar watches like the Waterbury's can get expensive.

Rob
Yep, same here I usually look for bulk lots, And because that’s usually how I get better deals, in fact both of the Waterbury and the Coronado came out of the same parts lot. I definitely got a good deal on the Waterbury, for the price I paid, just about all the other stuff in the lot were freebies for me. It still is almost entertaining though to see how much eBay sellers think they can get for their “fine wares” (a 1989 Westclox Scotty complete with the riveted together aluminum movement and plastic gears can be all yours for the low low price of only $49.99!) As I’m sure you can tell, I tend to keep away from the later Westclox dollar watches due to their decline in quality and serviceability. Anyway, back on track, sometimes a long wait does pay off!

AndrewL

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2021
Country
I haven't read back through this thread in a while, but IIRC there are quite a few of the early Waterbury Watch Co models posted, as well as some back wind/back set New Haven, Waterbury Clock Co and Ingersoll models. This thread is like a dollar watch history lesson!
Yeah, you guys have some fantastic pieces! The early dollar watches were so interesting with the different ways they were constructed to keep costs down I mean, basically just a miniature clocks for your pocket. And on the note of backwind backset watches, here is the only one of that kind in my collection, a circa 1899 Ingersoll Yankee. When I got this watch, it was missing the winding key, the crystal, and its hands, the movement had no screws so it was just floating around in the case. Also, the balance wheel and hair spring assembly also needed replacement. It’s still need some work done to it, as it still runs slow on the fastest setting. DCA8B1D6-CE90-458F-8AD9-C3845953BAA1.jpeg C3476644-3E5A-405A-B9B2-CBFB48CD1C7C.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
john33g
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-