The "Dollar" watch, show me some of yours.

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by musicguy, Sep 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    #1 musicguy, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    I haven't been to the NAWCC Museum yet(unfortunately) even though I did
    make it to the National in York just a few miles away, but I do hope there is a
    section(in the pocket watch area) dedicated to the average working persons pocket watch.
    The Dollar Watch like the Waterbury Long wind(and other dollar watches) were not in gold cases,
    mostly non jeweled, priced to sell to the average income earner, and not designed to last.
    They were very far from being considered High grade, with their "stamped out of sheet-metal" parts,
    but they did fill a niche that allowed the "common person" to own their own
    functional watch. Plus, what they lacked in quality they made up in creative design.
    Some of these dollar watches are fine looking watches, with creative dials and cases.

I will start this thread by posting a few of mine:

Waterbury series E circa 1888 (the long wind)
    Ingraham Sentinel Autocrat circa 1948 (with rotary second indicator)
    Westclox circa 1975

waterbury E1.jpg enamel2.jpg 1973 westclox .jpg

Waterbury actors EJL landscape.jpeg Ingraham Clock, Sentinel Alarm Clocks 1949 Ad Picture2.png 1973 westclox 4.jpg

Rob

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Some Ingrahams. The Buick from 1965, the Ford from 1930, and the Babe Ruth from 1952.

Case Back.JPG Dial.JPG Case Back.JPG Dial.JPG Case Back.JPG Dial1.JPG

vintageguy, PatH, musicguy and 2 others like this.
  3. PW Collector

PW Collector Registered User

Aug 3, 2003
    I have posted this before, but since Rob started a new "Dollar Watch" thread, I will post my favorite, and possibly the hardest to find, The Bannatyne Watch.
    The Bannatyne Watch Co. was incorporated in November of 1905. Mr. Bannatyne had previously worked for the Waterbury Clock Co. before starting the Bannatyne watch company. He advertised his watch as "A Time-Keeper Ahead of the Times. The smallest, thinnest and easiest winding practical watch ever produced at a low price. Winding and setting mechanism can be removed without taking movement from case. No accidental pushing in of crown stem. No screws used in fastening movement into case." They retailed for $1.50.
    He stayed in business until 1911 and then the company was purchased by The E. Ingraham Co. in 1912. Ingraham made their first pocket watch in 1913 fashioned after the Bannatyne watch.
    Dave

PICT0004.jpg PICT0006.JPG PICT0007.JPG PICT0003.JPG View attachment 492710 PICT0002.JPG

PatH, johnnypocket and musicguy like this.
  4. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    And for comparison, if I may, here is the Ingraham Bristol from 1922. Not much change in the movement from the Bannatyne, a couple of extra cutouts. Pardon the glare.

Dial1.JPG Movement1.JPG

PatH and PW Collector like this.
  5. johnnypocket

johnnypocket Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for this Rob, and yes there are many of us "Dollar" lovers and collectors. We are trying to emerge from the silent minority...lol...I love all thing Ingersoll especially the 19th Century backwinds. It started with "one" well we all know the rest. One of my favorites is a 33 Micky...a prize for a DW collector. The Liberty is a beautiful backwind with nice demasking for a dollar..The Eclipse is a 1892 or 3 very early Ingersoll (like a pocket clock before they came out with smaller styles)...A proud part of my collection is a a complete (all style) Westclox Pocket Ben and man that stle 3 was a lost arc to find...lol, I could go on and on....these are great piecies of horological history, and I like you, hope the museum has a display. I am going this summer when Clint's CW display will be out. I have lotsa pictures not wanting to hijack but I get excited when someone mentions them, and invites them to come out and play....PS ..for dollar enthusiasts that do facebook, a plug for the site Vintage Dollar and Character Watches.....I will put a shortcut to it......there are some good guys and gals on there, and a few that even arent afraid to work on these...I know there are some lovers here also...Never forget "The watch that made the Dollar famous"..

liberty bw face.jpg triumph front.jpg micky glass.jpg triumph front.jpg liberty bw face.jpg triumph desk.jpg 4 favs.jpg bw1.jpg liberty open.jpg eclipse.jpg

PatH, PW Collector and musicguy like this.
  6. johnnypocket

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm sorry for dupes..I am not great with posting pictures...it duped some and left out others...but dont wanna go crazy...3/4 of my watch collection are these and I cant pick a favorite child..lol...i anted to put link for FB site....in case you,like me, cant get enough of this.

Vintage Dollar and Character Watches

7. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I say go crazy and post as many as you want!

Rob

johnnypocket likes this.
  8. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I have a couple if Ingraham Lapel watches, one red, one black. They came in other colors as well (see the page from Tran Duy Ly's book on Ingraham clocks and watches showing one from the 1940 catalogue). Note that they came with a matching cords and buttons. The date of the movement in the black watch was double stamped, once too close to the edge.
    Dial.JPG Movement.JPG Case.JPG Movement.JPG

Ingraham.JPG

New Haven also had a Lapel watch that came with cord and button. I have no examples myself but here are pages from Tran's New Haven book.
    New Haven 1.JPG New Haven 2.JPG

Ingersoll also had a similar watch, called the Cord. It apparently also came with a cord and button.
    Dial2.JPG Movement.JPG

9. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    #9 PW Collector, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Steven,
    Here is an early E. Ingraham, before they put their name on the movement (plate 9, page 10 in Townsend's book). Closer to the Bannatyne movement.
    Dial is marked: COURIER
    Movement:
    PATENTED
    AUG. 27, 1907
    SEPT. 3, 1907
    OTHERS PENDING
    12 16 (Dec. 1916)

Dave
    Also pictured is the Bannatyne movement

PICT0001.jpg PICT0002.jpg PICT0003.jpg PICT0007.JPG

johnnypocket and musicguy like this.
  10. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Interesting, Dave. Note the change in the regulator style; or is there some damage to the Ingraham?. The absence of the name on the movement is intriguing; Ingraham had no qualms about putting their name on their movements, clocks or watches.

This edition of the Gazette of the USPTO mentions a reissue of the unbreakable crystal patent (scroll about half-way down). I haven't had a chance yet to look at the whole range of patents, but yours would seem to fall under the original patent.
    Official Gazette of the United States Patent Office

11. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    Steven, Yes the regulator style is different, with a straight stem over the cut-out. Same as in the Townsend diagram.
    Dave

PICT0002.jpg DSCN0513.jpg

12. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    here is one you do not see very often, if at all, the rare 14s Bannatyne Watch Co model, is complete, just in pieces for a clean.

WP_20180912_08_29_46_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20180912_08_29_54_Pro_LI.jpg

PatH, PW Collector and musicguy like this.
  13. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    Bila,
    I have not seen that Bannatyne model before. Thanks for sharing it. When you get it back together, I hope you will post it.
    Dave

14. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are a half dozen of mine out of about 2 dozen, a couple of Swiss included

IMG_9259.JPG IMG_9260.JPG IMG_9261.JPG IMG_9262.JPG IMG_9263.JPG IMG_9264.JPG

musicguy, PatH and PW Collector like this.
  15. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is a very nice display case of dollar watches at the Museum. It includes some fine examples of early and unusual watches. If you have the chance, I'd certainly recommend a visit.

Pat

musicguy and johnnypocket like this.
  16. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's one of my favorites - a Dewey commemorative watch by Ingersoll, along with an ad for the watch.

Unfortunately, it seems that there was some dispute over the dial design as noted in the article from the December 20, 1899 Jeweler's Circular. Mr Clarke took exception to the similarity to his patented design USD31501.

DSC04148.JPG DSC04150.JPG DSC04152.JPG Ingersoll sued by Clark Dewey dial JCH 1899-12-20.png 1899 Ingersoll - Dewey model.jpg

17. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This one is a New Haven watch in a silver (plated? I haven't looked for hallmarks, but it does tarnish.) holder that allows it to be used as a desk clock. The logo on the holder is the United Shoe Machinery Corporation (USMC), although this case is often misidentified as United States Marine Corp. The image on the dial is of their factory in Beverly, Massachusetts. If you google images of the United Shoe Machinery Corporation, you can see pictures of the factory as well as shipping boxes with this logo. As you might guess from the name, this factory produced machinery used in the making of shoes.

Pat

DSC04444.JPG DSC04447.JPG DSC04450.JPG DSC04452.JPG

PW Collector likes this.
  18. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is one that appears to be from a time of transitions. The dial is marked “Waterbury Special”, the movement is marked “Ingersoll Watch Co.” and the guarantee paper is marked “Connecticut Watch Co.”
    Waterbury_f.jpg Waterbury_m.jpg Waterbury Special paper.jpg

PW Collector and musicguy like this.
  19. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing, Jerry.

There was an interesting time when Waterbury Clock was buying Ingersoll. Talk about a circuitous history with these companies. Some of the watches during this period had different names like Comet and Jewel and the text appeared to be very carefully worded. I have a couple of advertisements and a watch or two from that era. Will try to find some of them to post later today.

20. johnnypocket

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #20 johnnypocket, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    You asked for it...lol....Just to show a little Westclox love.a few of my fav's......the first stylePocket Ben (circa 1915-27) .The Westclox and Pocket ben on dial as well as the round bow dates to mid 20's with orig box....and the first luminous Westclox made the "Glo-Ben" . Production started on these in 1918 and continued to 1929, when they changed to the Pocket Ben luminous(aslo shown).The Monitor is a absoloute mint NOS from the late 20's...it used the 5a movement(same as glo-ben and the 1a PBen),it had a small production in late 27 into 28,hence is rare especially in this shape. I also added a Westclox Zodiac from 1970 as well as a 1982 Koxville Worlds Fair PW with box. They are unique and add color to my display....AND all are great runners...Made by hard working, concientious people that gave there all when a few dollars meant something, I wonder if they are looking down from Heaven proud that we are still admiring thier work..OOPS, a Ingersoll yankee Luminous snuck in there...He got jealous that it was Westclox's turn..lol

yankee black bw.jpg pocket ben.jpg st 1  pben.jpg globen.jpg zodiac.jpg 82 knoxville wf watch.jpg moniter.jpg

PW Collector and musicguy like this.
  21. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    Jerry,
    Ingersoll made a Waterbury, Waterbury Special & a Waterbury Radiolite. They also made some with dials marked, C (with a T inside) W C (with a O inside) Connecticut Watch Co., so the guarantee paper marked Connecticut Watch Co. does not surprise me.
    Here is a Ingersoll Mite, 6 size, with serial number 27137111(circa 1910-11), Patent dates 1901, 1907 & 1910, in a MITE Connecticut Watch Co. box.
    Geo. Townsend Dollar Watch book page 17, Plate 42, is the diagram of movement.
    Dave

DSCN0535.JPG DSCN0536.jpg PICT0003.jpg DSCN0537.JPG DSCN0538.JPG

PatH and Steven Thornberry like this.
  22. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Just to add a bit to what Dave said, here is a picture of a 1926-27 sales sheet, from Tran Duy Ly's book on Waterbury clocks and watches, vol.1, p. 563, showing, i.a., a couple of Ingersoll Waterbury's.
    Ingersoll Waterbury.JPG

23. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I have seen recently an Ingersoll watch called the Advance. It is much like the Cord. FWIW, the movie Idiot's Delight (1939) stars, i.a., Charles Coburn, who refers several times to an actual lapel watch (no way to see what it is).

PatH likes this.
  24. johnnypocket

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #24 johnnypocket, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    The Waterburys although not a "Dollar" is almost one...a handsome 12s 4j.....i bought a few in a lot once...they are nice additions to the Ingersoll collection....I love how Ingersoll kept pace with trends, but always seemed to strive to keep it within the reach of those outpriced in the Pocket Watch market then. I have a few beautifully cased 7j Reliances as well as 15j Trenton...They went up to 19j Trentons. The 15j I have is one of my Favorite watch's and I put up against my best jeweled Hamilton and Illinois. But I am biased.

waterbury.jpg waterbury radiolite.jpg trenton reliance.jpg

PatH, musicguy and PW Collector like this.
  25. johnnypocket

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    musicguy and PatH like this.
  26. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Will do:)

27. johnnypocket

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #27 johnnypocket, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2018
    That is a truly beautiul BW...and quite a special one to have....I have seen another , not as nice as yours...big$...i would hold that one Pat, but I'm guessing you didn't need me to tell you that....lol

PatH likes this.
  28. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    OK, here is a circa 1970, dollar watch that does not go into your pocket, but instead on the dash of your car (back when you had a metal dash).
    This is a Westclox with a luminous dial numbers & hands, it also has a sweep second hand. It has a magnetic base to affix to your dash. The sticker on the bottom needs to be removed before exposing the magnet.
    Dave

DSCN0324.JPG DSCN0325.jpg DSCN0326.jpg DSCN0327.JPG

johnnypocket and PatH like this.
  29. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How about a bicycle theme? The first two pictures are an Ingersoll Boston Cycle Club watch. 3 and 4 are 1898 ads for an Ingersoll bicycle (not related to the watch) and for Ingersoll watch and cyclometer 5 and 6 are an Ingersoll Yankee Bicycle watch. Both of the watches are early backwinds made by Waterbury Clock. The movements are "as found."

The Ingersolls also sold many bicycle accessories, including the watch and cyclometer shown in the ad. They also sold a watch holder patented by Charles Ingersoll that attached to a bicycle so the rider could see the time while cycling. Unfortunately, I don't have one of the cyclometers or watch holders. :(

Pat

DSC03387.JPG DSC03388.JPG 1898 Ingersoll bicycle.jpeg 1898 Ingersoll watch and cyclometer Munseys mag.jpg DSC03114.JPG DSC03116.JPG

30. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    And after a long, tiring ride, you can relax at home listening to music on the Victrola,
    Dial2.JPG Case Back.JPG Movement.JPG

and drinking Dr. Pepper, both courtesy of The E. Ingraham Co.
    Dial.JPG Case Back.JPG Movement.JPG

31. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I recently saw an Our Gang (later known as The Little Rascals) dollar watch
    that I was really tempted to buy. Does anyone have one here?

Rob

32. johnnypocket

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I also have a Magnetic, that has earned a prominant display spot on my desk. It was my first PW. It meant to be a one and only (we know how that goes !!!). I bought a NOS Scotty, litterally brand new. When it arrived I realized it had the dimples on the sides for the mount. I of course then needed the mount which required a search, plus a few more watches along the way....well you know the rest. We all enter this obsession somehow, and everytime I look at my magnetic scotty it reminds me of how all the fun started in this great hobby..

magnetic scotty 1.jpg

musicguy, PatH and PW Collector like this.
  33. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a fun way to start, johnnypocket!

My dollar watch collecting actually started with Ingersoll's ads which led to learning about their branding and marketing skills. Which led to looking at the historical and sociological aspects, the effects of the economy on watch production and sales, and sometimes even the psychological component of time and the availability of affordable timepieces. The watches were just a by-product of all the other "stuff". This is probably one reason I don't know nearly as much about the movements as many collectors do - I am trying to learn, but it's very hard to stay focused when I keep getting sidetracked by cool watches and more stuff!

johnnypocket and PW Collector like this.
  34. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    This is one of my Waterbury Longwind Series C watches in a Waterbury Watch Co. box.
    The back cover is embossed with the bust of Horace Greeley and marked, THE HORACE GREELEY WATCH (above bust) and TRIBUNE FOUNDED 1841 (below bust).
    Here is a little history on Horace Greeley:

Horace Greeley was born on Feb. 3, 1811 in Amherst,N.H. and died on Nov. 29, 1872. He began his career as a printers apprentice in East Poultney, Vermont. He then moved to New York, and in 1834 he became the senior editor for The New Yoker, a new literary magazine. In 1841 he founded a newspaper, The New York Tribune and edited until his death.

In 1854 his political ambitions caused him to help organize the newly emerging Republican Party. In 1872, being in disagreement with President Ulysses S. Grant, he and a group of dissenters, formed the Liberal Republican Party and he became the nominee for president opposing Grant. He was unsuccessful in his quest for the office of President.
    Dave

DSCN0549.jpg DSCN0557.jpg DSCN0556.jpg DSCN0532.JPG DSCN0558.jpg DSCN0559.jpg

Steven Thornberry, musicguy and PatH like this.
  35. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Here is one that belonged to my Dad. He got it with Arbuckle coffee coupons in the 1920's. When it was delivered the crystal was broken and my Grandmother didn't want to pay for postage to return it. It hung on a leather string on a nail for years and years until she gave it to me. I had it serviced some years ago and a new crystal installed. It's a New Haven Leonard, a boy-sized pocket watch. Leonard.jpg

36. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a wonderful story to go with your watch, John. That one is definitely a keeper! It's amazing how many timepieces were distributed via give-aways of varying types.

I wonder if anyone else has a dollar watch that was received as a prize or premium?

Thanks!
    Pat

37. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing the watch and including the information about Greeley, Dave. Do you know if these were given as a premium for subscribers?

Pat

38. Michael Post

Michael Post Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Male
    Retired Chief of Police
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a New Haven dollar watch that matches Townsend's plate #59, page 22, in his Dollar Watch book but where can I find more information on production year, model, quantity, etc.??

39. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    Quote: "Thanks for sharing the watch and including the information about Greeley, Dave. Do you know if these were given as a premium for subscribers?
    Pat"

Pat, I do not know if the Horace Greeley watch was a give-away.
    This is another Waterbury Longwind Series C watch, commemorating a newspaper & a writers work.

THE NASBY WATCH

TOLEDO BLADE

The Toledo Blade newspaper in Toledo, Ohio was first published on December 19, 1835. David Ross Locke (a.k.a. Petroleum V. Nasby) was born September 20, 1833 and died February 15, 1888. Locke was originally from Vestal, Broome County, New York. Locke was an American journalist, satirist, and early political commentator during the American Civil War. He eventually wrote for The Toledo Blade, and later became editor and part owner in 1865. At the start of his career he was apprenticed at age 10 to the newspaper, The Democrat, in Cortland County, New York. Following a seven year apprenticeship, he tramped around until his next protracted stay being with the Pittsburg Chronicle. Around 1855, Locke started, with others, the Plymouth, Ohio Herald. On March 20, 1856, he became the editor of the Bucyrus Journal. Locke was in Bucyrus, when the Civil War broke out.

Locke’s most famous work, “The Nasby’s Letters,” (1861) was written in the character of, and over the signature of “Rev. Petroleum V. Nasby” a Copperhead and Democrat. They have been described as “The Civil War written in sulphuric acid.”

Nasby loudly championed the cause of the Confederate States of America from secession onward, but did little to actively abet it. After being conscripted into the Union Army he deserted to the Confederates, joining the fictional “Pelican Brigade.” However, he found life in the Confederate Army “tite nippen” and soon deserted again. (Tite Nippen was a rough neighborhood in Howes Cave when a plant in that Schoharie County hamlet made cement from limestone taken from a local quarry. The cement was used in structures including the Brooklyn Bridge and New York State Capitol.) By the end of the Civil War he was back in civilian life.

The “Nasby Letters”, written in the semi-literate spelling used by other humorist of the time, were intended to rally support for the Union cause, since “Nasby” himself was portrayed as a thoroughly detestable character - a supreme opportunist, bigoted, work-shy, often half-drunk, and willing to say or do anything to get a Postmaster’s job. At the time the Letters were written, Postmasterships were political plums, offering a guaranteed federal salary for little or no work. Until the glorious day when he received a “Post Orfis” from Andrew Johnson “Nasby” worked, most frequently as a preacher. His favorite Biblical text, unsurprisingly, were the ones that were used by Southern ministers to “prove” that slavery was ordained in the Bible.

Abraham Lincoln loved the “Nasby Letters,” and quoted them frequently. He is quoted as saying, “I intend to tell him if he will communicate his talent to me, I will swap places with him!”

After the Civil War, “Nasby” went on to comment on Reconstruction. He settled in several different places, most notably “Confederate X Roads, which is in the Stait of Kentucky”, a fictional town full of idle, whisky-loving, scrounging ex-Confederates, and a few hard-working, decent folk, who by an amazing coincidence were all strong Republicans. He travelled frequently, sometimes not entirely voluntarily (“Nasby’s habit of borrowing money he never repaid, and running up tabs at the local saloon often made him unpopular) and continued to comment on the issues of the day.

Locke discontinued the “Nasby Letters” a few years before his death, since the times had changed and “Nasby” was no longer topical. While the semi-literate spelling in which they were written has often discouraged modern readers, it can also be seen as a point of characterizing “Nasby.”

(majority of information was found on the Wikipedia Encyclopedia)

Dave

Attached photos besides the watch are:

A photo of David Ross Locke

A photo from left: Josh Billings, Mark Twain & Petroleum V. Nasby, 1868

A cartoon by P. V. Nasby depicting Andrew Johnson’s trip to the middle west to attempt to gain political support.

PICT0001.jpg PICT0003.JPG PICT0004.JPG David Ross Locke.jpg Josh Billings, Mark Twain, Petroleum V. Nasby, 1868.jpg Andy's Trip West.jpg

40. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Dave,

Very nice example of this watch! The information you included was very enlightening. The Waterbury, a publication produced by Waterbury Watch Company, included the below in their April 1888 issue. There is no reference to their having produced a Nasby watch, but it might explain why his passing would warrant a mention.

Thanks for sharing!
    Pat

Nasby Toledo Blade 4-1888.png

PW Collector likes this.
  41. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    Michael, New Haven did not mark most of their watches with manufacture dates or serial numbers to date them like other manufactures did.
    A photo of your watch & movement would be great to see.
    This may or may not help you, but I have a New Haven All Purpose Watch with a movement that matches Townsend's plate #59, page 22. Also on page 91 is an advertisement showing this watch and I believe is of the 1958 era.
    Dave

PICT0001.JPG PICT0004.jpg PICT0003.JPG PICT0002.JPG SCAN0101.JPG

PatH likes this.
  42. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It seems that newspaper competition must have been quite strong during this era. Here's another Series C newspaper watch that was likely given as a premium to subscribers or agents. The New York World was published from 1860-1931. Joseph Pulitzer was publisher from 1883 to 1911. While he was there the paper became a pioneer in yellow journalism.

The newspaper produced a color supplement that included a comic strip featuring The Yellow Kid, created by Richard F. Outcault. Outcault also has a horological tie-in as the creator of a series of trade cards for Rockford Watch Co. A couple of the cards are pictured below.

You can read more about the newspaper, and about Outcault, on Wikipedia.

Pat

DSC01935.JPG DSC01937.JPG DSC01938.JPG 1910 Rockford Watch Co April front.jpg Rockford November card front.jpg

43. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    I think there may have been a 'dollar' watch that was sold as a souvenir of the 1982 World's Fair in Knoxville, TN. I have a vague memory of seeing one somewhere.

johnnypocket, PW Collector and PatH like this.
  44. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John, you're correct about the Knoxville watch. I believe that johnnypocket included one (far right) in his post #20. I have also seen a small clock souvenir and a booklet that was sent along with orders for these items. Many dollar watches were sold at U.S. World Fairs. The early ones were by Ingersoll, then New Haven Clock Co. By 1933, there were a variety of offerings including Ingersoll and Westclox. The later fairs seem to have leaned more toward Swiss-made and Westclox. The World Fair watches are interesting to collect.

Pat

johnnypocket and PW Collector like this.
  45. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    John, Pat is correct, johnnypocket included one in his post #20.

They also had a fob. According to the Complete Guide to Watches, there were 4,200 of these 1982 World's Fair Knoxville Westclox watches manufactured but only 200 of the matching fobs were manufactured. Here is my example of the box, watch & fob.
    Dave

IMG_2158.jpg IMG_2159.jpg IMG_2162.jpg

johnnypocket and PatH like this.
  46. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    New Haven Sports Timer watch, with a football & basketball player on the dial, in an octagon case, manufactured in 1925, Patent Pending, with its original box and papers.
    Dave

IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0014.JPG

Bila and PatH like this.
  47. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #47 PatH, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    A few dollar watches to commemorate British coronations.

The first is a New Haven watch commemorating the 1937 coronation of George VI and his wife Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (Queen Elizabeth I).
    The second and third watches are Ingersoll Ltd. Great Britain commemorating the 1953 coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. The first has CORONATION rather than the normal 1-12 hourly designations. Above the center arbor is a picture of the Queen and the flags of the countries over which she reigned. Below the center arbor is a banner with Elizabeth II, and the year is printed in the lower half of the seconds bit. The other watch has Elizabeth E II R rather than numbers and features the Queen on horseback with CORONATION JUNE 2 1953 inside the top half of the chapter ring. This watch doesn't include a seconds bit. The back of both watches features the Royal Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom that is used by the government.

DSC06186.JPG DSC06187.JPG DSC06188.JPG DSC06190.JPG DSC06191.JPG DSC06195.JPG DSC06229.JPG DSC06232.JPG

48. johnnypocket

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We forget sometimes there is a wealth of information right in our backyard available to us as members of this great club/organization. Those that came before us have tirelessly researched in a time when you didn't have info. at your fingertips. I love the past bulletin articles like this one from 1952 on Ingersoll Watch Company. Wanted to share.
    http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1950/articles/1952/43/43_97.pdf

49. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You're so right, Johnnypocket. That is one of my go-to articles along with the following that discuss and illustrate dollar watches in general:
    http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/2000/articles/2006/363/363_418.pdf
    http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/2000/articles/2000/325/325_159a.pdf
    http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1960/articles/1962/101/101_512.pdf
    As well as many of Michael Harrold's articles and supplement.

johnnypocket likes this.
  50. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    Here is one that some consider a dollar watch & others do not. I have always leaned toward it being in the dollar watch category.
    It is an early Manhattan Watch Co., time only version and has a paper dial marked, M. W. Co. The large winding wheel is marked PATENTED NOV. 27TH 1883. The serial number is 87624.
    The button/knob on the right is the setting knob & when pulled-up and turned, the hands are set to the correct time. It is a stem wind movement.
    A spare dial is also shown here.
    Dave

PICT0006.JPG PICT0005.JPG PICT0007.JPG PICT0009.JPG

PatH likes this.