The current heat wave

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Jul 19, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    For the next two weeks Philadelphia is in the midst of a heat wave that is not good for man nor beast. While it may not bother nature's grasses and trees, the living inhabitants the older [human] should take care not to try to do too much outdoors in this constant heat of 95° to 98°…I stop to think and remember when I was in my early twenties, my mother had a large tin wash tub into which was placed a block of ice [delivered by the iceman and his horse and wagon] and a fan blew on the ice in an effort to keep cool. That was about eighty years ago…thanks to a man by name of Currier and his invention of the air conditioner…the world over, today, most people do have the benefit of some sort of air conditioning art this time in our lives.

2. mldenison

mldenison Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    York, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Over here in York, PA we've got much the same. The higher humidity makes it seem a lot worse. And we could use some rain although the grass continues to grow, at least a bit slower. I'm so glad my wife is 13 years younger than me. She actually enjoys mowing the lawn. I bought her a self propelled mower that she refuses to put in gear. She's a lot more fit than me.

3. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan up in the great white north we are also experiencing some "above normal" (or just don't remember when) temperatures.

We heat our house with electricity, baseboard and some ceiling radiant. There are just the two of us, so we can close down unused rooms, and can adjust rooms individually. So all was good...albeit getting more expensive.

So our electrical utility offered a promotion such that we could install an air source heat pump that would reduce our heating costs, and we could get a subsidy for doing so. Saving money on heat was a good idea, I thought, but my bride thought that it is very expensive. I let her know that the system would also give us air conditioning as well, which we didn't have now. And I said we are getting older and it would be nice to have some cool air in the bedroom in our second story house. "well it is expensive".

This has been a hotter summer than we can remember. Well my darling wife when she starts the a/c says "this is so nice, and quiet....but it is expensive".

The system is a split heat pump with three heads, one down here in my computer room, one in the main floor, and one in the master bedroom.

So I am getting sorta a thumbs up for the installation.

David

4. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    David:

Remember...the Pharoes tried to take it with them...no one has ever succeeded except one guy who was buried with his beloved automobile. [I do not know if this is a true story.]

However, one true story is that on the island of Cypress they opened a grave over 9000 years old, inside they found his remains - alongside of a cat [8 months old] he must have loved.

TRUE...posted a few years ago in a scientific journal.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, the automobile story is true. Rich folks can do weird stuff like that :) He was buried in the car, sitting behind the wheel.

6. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Just read for the next two weeks or perhaps even more...this wave of unholy temperatures will have only 1 day below 90 degrees and the rest of this period well into over 90 degrees.

Not good for folks well into their twilight years...a cool home or area is a must. Wonder how they lived before I was born?

Read where rich people had blocks of ice cut from from rivers or ponds and stored in the depths of their homes where the ice was kept frozen and in the summer it helped keep their homes cooler.

7. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, I may be nuts, but I played 18 holes of golf, walked it, in 102 degree heat, thankfully a good breeze was blowing. My wife thought I had enough sense to only play 9 but, well, she was wrong again.

8. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Here's what your post proves...you're in good shape and a little nuts to play in this heat!

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Dan, yes hot here too in Canada. I dont have central ac, just a portable ac unit in my bedroom. I am fortunate to have a basement that stays cool. I open my windows too most nights and get cooler air in the house and close them in the morning. Won,t be long before the white stuff is coming and then we will comment on that, stay cool and hydrated Dan.

10. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, Dan I am a little nuts, I collect pocket watches which qualifies me plus I played 18 again today, not quite as hot though. Am enjoying a nice cold beer after watering the plants. It is supposed to cool off Wednesday then heat up again. These are the dog days of summer.

11. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #11 dweiss17, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    You are about 65 miles northeast of Philadelphia. Have no idea how warm [hot] it is today in your area...here in Philadelphia we are topping 99 degrees. I will not go out for the next two days, Wednesday maybe.

Richiec...why are they called the dog days of summer...I feel my cats deserve some credit, too!

12. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My cat's not talking either. Actually hiding from the thunderstorm tonight. Yesterday it was only 96 here, actually played a really good game, only 3 over par on the back nine of our little par 3 course. My stepson and I are going to Pocono Raceway this weekend for the Pocono 400 stock car race, luckily he just bought a 26 foot travel trailer with A/C, fridge, bathroom and someone cancelled out so we got a parking spot, otherwise it was camping out, at 63 I am a little too old to "camp out" with a bunch of drunken wahoos, but the fact that he respects me enough to ask me along is enough for me.