The correct bracelet for this Seamaster

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Jubilado, May 6, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jubilado

Jubilado Registered User

Feb 3, 2012
    Retired engineer and logistics manager
    Costa del Sol, Spain
    Country Flag:
    Before I knew of this site, I passed a family Omega Seamaster to my son. He is now asking questions about it and has sent me three photos.

I believe that it was new in the 1960s and would be grateful for any information that might be available. My son thinks that the leather strap is not original and wonders what should replace it.

Omega 1 p.jpg Omega 2 p.jpg Omega 3 p.jpg

2. T Time

T Time Registered User

Jan 4, 2012
    Hi,
    This is a shot of one of mine from the same era, non date.
    24.jpg

Sorry to have to admit my age but I purchased it new and it came on a leather strap, since then I have worn it on an assortment of ss bracelets and for me that is what works.
    As an aside I am certainly no expert but is that a screw caseback on yours, to me it does look unusual but hopefully an expert will pass on some wisdom.

3. bptanguay

bptanguay Registered User

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    #3 bptanguay, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
    I wear the same model Omega as Jubilado, it's a solid case, the movement is removed through the crystal. The stem is a two piece that snaps together or apart.
    There is a ring that holds the movement in the case, you rotate it until the case clamps are clear and it drops out very easily.
    Probably an Omega 550 movement. Great watch. I've used expansion bands, but lately I use a stitched leather strap.

4. T Time

T Time Registered User

Jan 4, 2012
    Boy that was fast, question answered. Two piece stem, only encountered them once before and it was a bit of a heart wrenching moment removing it, just didn't feel natural exerting so much pressure.
    Thank you for sharing.

5. Jubilado

Jubilado Registered User

Feb 3, 2012
    Costa del Sol, Spain
    Country Flag:
    bptanguay: Sadly, I no longer wear it but my son is very happy with it. I will tell him how to remove the movement - if he dares to do that, he can see the number and find out more about it. Thank you for your comment.

6. m.underwood

m.underwood Registered User

May 10, 2011
    Computer Technician
    Richmond
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most of the Seamasters I've seen from that era have been on leather straps. I have seen the occasional one on an original stainless bracelet, but they usually have heavier lugs. Here is one of my similarly aged Constellations (551 movement, a watch in my weekly rotation) on it's original Omega stainless bracelet.

L1040109.jpg

If you *really* want to know what the watch came with, Omega has an "Extract of the Archives" program where they can research the information for you. You will need to provide them with the watch's serial number. The service is not cheap however.

7. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Watch repair/ Watch sales
    USA
    Country Flag:
    I may be able to tell you what bands may have been original to the watch, but you'll have to tell me the case reference number. It should be on the inside of the caseback.

8. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Watch repair/ Watch sales
    USA
    Country Flag:
    There is also free information available at this Omega site based on your case reference number. http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database

9. Jubilado

Jubilado Registered User

Feb 3, 2012
    Costa del Sol, Spain
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the information and the kind offer. At present, my son is too nervous to open his watch and look for numbers. I'm sure that he will let me know if he changes his mind or finds a knowledgeable friend to help him.