The conception of progress

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Dec 30, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    I know this may sound silly…but it's better than doing nothing. I'm on vacation.

This morning I went out for breakfast…living alone with a beautiful feline named Johnnie II as my house companion…I have the need to see a human face, so out to breakfast I went. Read the newspaper while having my repast…coffee first, a dish of mixed fruit and then one scrambled fried egg with overdone hash brown potatoes. Another cup of coffee and I was finished. The fruit was good, the fried scrambled egg was cold, I imagine it was done earlier and the waitress did not pick it up soon enough to serve to me. The news in the paper was the usual dribble that the world was going to hell.

After my meal driving to the station to fill my tank with gasoline I was happily surprised to see the price of $2.39 per gallon. Giving the cashier $40.00 in expectation of filling my tank with gasoline, it took $34.50 to complete the fill up. I got $5.50 back in change.

It is beyond my poor mind to reason why I paid near to $4.00 a gallon in past years. Is the world glutted with the remains of creatures millions of years ago that lived and their remains liquefied into crude oil? I do not think the gasoline refiners are that generous to allow us on this day to save about $1.61 a gallon on this stuff that propels our cars as we drive them to our destinations.

On another note, my nephew presented me with a sweater for my birthday…it has a v- neck with long sleeves…black in color. Putting it on, it fit very nicely and I have worn it on several occasions since receiving the sweater as a gift. Liking the fit and look, I prevailed upon nephew Steven to order two more medium size sweaters in colors of yellow and red. Now I owe him some money. Stopping to think…his action cost me money I would not have spent otherwise. I suppose you can call it reaction to an action.

And, still on another thought…when am I going to get a vacation from doing nothing? I have not had a working job since just before Thanksgiving of 1978…the world of computers raised hell with the skills and art of printing ever since Gutenberg invented moveable type and the printing press. Just imagine my vacation from a job…36 years and still no job, no vacation from a job…many of us no longer work…time marches on and new inventions replace skills that took years to acquire and are no longer needed.

Try making a phone call to let's say 'your doctor'…you have to go through a galaxy of hitting buttons and being transferred from one person to another…all the while some tinny music is playing havoc with your ear. Progress sure is a funny conception.

PS: The sweater was made in China.

2. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Some of this technology is supposed to make life easier but most of it seems to make life more complex and stressful.

Things change so fast that it is hard to keep up.

The gas situation is very nice to have but I am under no illusion that it will stay low. We pay by the liter in Canada and in the past the price reflected the cost of a barrel. So if the barrel was at $50US then we would have been paying $0.50 a liter.

We are now paying $0.90 a liter so even though the barrel is at $50US the oil companies are still making loads of money.

3. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow Sponsor NAWCC Diamond Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 FDelGreco, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Why do I need to press "1" for English when I'm just going to be connected to someone I can't understand anyway? <grin>

Frank

jakematic likes this.
  4. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Frank:

The reason you cannot understand the person on the other end of the line is...they are in Bangladesh, China, India, Sri Lanka,or some other exotic country that our generous phone providers are giving jobs to - to better their lives and those of their families. We Americans tend to forget our parents or their parents came from distant shores.

I am old enough to remember when using a phone you spoke to the operator and gave her the phone number you wished to speak to. I do not remember the phone you first had to crank. But, I remember the days when a drug store had five or six phone booths in a line and you dropped your dime into the slot to speak. And, somone came to your house to tell you you are wanted on the phone and you gave the person a nickel for letting you know.

Today, a five year old can teach me how to use an iPhone or tablet to talk to another person.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's interesting, Dan. I'm 40 years younger than you are, but I remember the crank phone. My Grandparents' ring was one long, two shorts, and a long. You come from a big city that must have been way ahead of us :) I also remember the party line, where you had several families on the same line, differentiated by their ring. Nosy neighbors always listened in to your conversations :)

6. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes and I remember the telephone man coming and replacing the No 6 ignition cells in the wooden box.

David

7. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow Sponsor NAWCC Diamond Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Point of joke.

Frank

8. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Perhaps, living in a rural community it took longer to get the new-fangled contraptions.

9. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We had the nosy neighbor on our party line and my mother would always ask her if she heard everything just before she hung up. Our house had one phone line, my father did business over the phone for Curtiss-Wright and Lionel as a purchasing agent so we had to limit our calls to no more than 5 minutes. Of course, in those days the only one calling my house about me was usually the local police to see if we told our parents what we had done. As to pay phones, the last place I worked as an auto mechanic still has a pay phone on the wall. It is listed as the second number for the business. If someone uses the phone once in a month the phone company is lucky but they will not take the phone out and give my old boss the phone number for his business use period for some unknown reason. Costs 50 cents now to call local. I still remember our phone number from being a kid, CENTER 9-0522. My best friend from growing up still lives in his parents house and has had the same phone number for about 60 years.