The companies that sell PC protection

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Nov 15, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Every so often I am deluged with offers that protect my computers from nasty various things that can do harm to my computer and its inner workings, including thieves who want to steal my emails and credit card numbers.

I never use these credit card numbers over the Internet!!!!

I recently went to one of these (I think overseas) miracle workers who sold a one or two year protection policy...they do all the protection from their site.

To make a long story short...they tried to switch me to a two year policy with a lot of extra things that
    I never wanted or needed.

What do you use for computer protection?

2. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use free AVG and periodically I will use CCleaner to find other stuff. And periodically I have my son-in-law come over and do his magic on it. I also have a usb external harddrive that I use to back up all my data which I do once a month or so.

I do not want any third party to have access to my computer. When I get into trouble and need immediate assistance my son in law and I will use TeamViewer which gives him direct access to my computer allowing him to remotely sort out my problem.

David

3. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Robert Gary, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    Dan:
    I am no computer expert, but I have been told that, for a PC (not a Mac), using Windows 7 or above, the Microsoft Windows Defender that came already installed on your computer along with an anti-virus program such as Avast or AVG, either of which can be downloaded for free, and perhaps an anti-malware program such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (also free) should suffice.

Maybe others with more computer savvy than I will weigh in here.

Are you speaking about fixing actual issues on your computer, or protection to prevent intrusion?

Robert

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use Avast, and CC cleaner. One other i use is from Microsoft and i use that one less often. I get these scammers from India claiming to be from Microsoft and tell me my computer has a virus. I have told them in every way what they can do and where they can go, they still keep calling. I am like David i don,t want others whom i don,t trust having acess to my computer. And i have a usb external drive i back up everything as well.

5. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Gentlemen:

Thank you for your support and information.

I, too, use free AVG and CCcleaner...both work well and I see no need to change anything except to spend money that feeds these companies that work on the fears of the computer user.

Thereis no way to get rid these hustlers except to use your Message block system. Which I do at least 3-4 times a day.

Still use Windows XP and see no good reason to upgrade.

Thank you,

Dan

6. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan:

I notice that Verizon is your email provider. Right click on the email from whomever you want to block and choose "Junk", then choose "Block Sender's domain". That should end having to block them 3-4 times per day.

Robert

7. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wonder if Dan is getting them on his computer, or on the phone. My Dad used to get them on his phone.

8. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I only get them on my landline, another reason why i will be glad to be rid of it soon.

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those scammers want access to your computer so they can point out it's weaknesses and vulnerabilities (usually hundreds of them that need "immediate" repair).
    Don't ever allow them access to your computer, and don't let them sell you anything, especially the yearly contract that they want hundreds of dollars for.

10. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In general, any offer that pops up on your computer and includes the word "FREE" and any other word that ends in "er" - faster, easier, safer, prettier, "funner" - in the same sentence is a scam and WILL screw up your computer. Use EXTREME caution. If you didn't specifically go looking for something because you KNOW it's reputable, DON'T install it. Some of the free anti-malware or fix-it offers ARE the viruses/malware that they claim to prevent/remove. They use pretty good "human engineering" to try to sucker you into infecting your own machine.

The reputable companies don't use pop-up ads. Some reputable ones are AVG, Avira, Avast, Emsisoft, MalwareBytes. Most of them will try to sell you a paid version, but the free versions are adequate for most people. If you read the license agreements carefully, they are only free for personal/home use. For business/commercial use you need to use a paid version. Microsoft Security Essentials is OK, too, and is legitimately free under any supported version of Windows. Unfortunately XP is NOT supported any more. And it's built into Windows 8 as Windows Defender.

Most of the reputable AV companies have a free online scanner to spot check things if you suspect that you're already infected. I've used Trend Micro's Housecall online scanner with good results. Of course they'll all try to sell you their paid product...